Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/17/2001 5:32:21 PM EDT
``I think 99.99 percent of Americans will want these ID cards,'' Ellison said.

... I would dispute his estimate

[url]http://www0.mercurycenter.com/local/center/id101701.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 6:11:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a much better idea...  Why not laser tatoo a unique number on the forehead or right hand.  Invisible except to a scanning device we could accomplish the same benefits.

How about an imbedded chip to maintain GPS tracking of everyone? [url]http://www.digitalangel.net/[/url]

Just two "excellent" ideas whose time is yet to come, but it WILL come.

It's a Brave New World.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 6:18:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Umm...the Bush administration has said they were not even considering implementing any sort of national ID system.  So why do you think it's on its way?  Because a software exec would like to be the one to do it?  Since when did he get the authority to do so?
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 6:20:46 PM EDT
[#3]
There is no Constitutional authority for the U.S. government to issue a National I.D. card.  It would require a Constitutional Amendment.

Unless Osama does something even more spectacular than his last stunt, then its not going to happen.  If he nukes a major city, all bets are off.

-SouthernShark
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 6:22:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
``I think 99.99 percent of Americans will want these ID cards,'' Ellison said.
View Quote

By "these cards" he means the Oracle based ones.  I'm sure it would only be 2-3% if you asked him about cards based on Sun technology.  It's all a marketing scam.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 6:27:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Umm...the Bush administration has said they were not even considering implementing any sort of national ID system.  So why do you think it's on its way?  Because a software exec would like to be the one to do it?  Since when did he get the authority to do so?
View Quote

Well, as he is the 2nd richest (or 1st, depending on who you ask) man in the good ol' USA....

He can proably put enough money in the hands of the politicians to see it through. Damn near everyo ne of them is buyable.

This will be interesting.....

gates got off and he was probably in the wrong to some degree.  Ellis/Oracle are doing it for our saftey.  Ahhhh, the High-tech left!
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 7:00:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Well, as he is the 2nd richest (or 1st, depending on who you ask) man in the good ol' USA....

He can proably put enough money in the hands of the politicians to see it through. Damn near everyo ne of them is buyable.
View Quote

Bill Gates threw his weight behind a gun control bill in WA State and couldn't even get that passed on a state level.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 7:47:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Bill Gates threw his weight behind a gun control bill in WA State and couldn't even get that passed on a state level.
View Quote

Very true, but that was before 9/11 and charged politically different than this.

Now, the sheeple beg for protection

Technology will save us!
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 7:54:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Wait'll they scan your forehead at the checkout stand...that'll be next.

Link Posted: 10/17/2001 8:19:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Can't leave your finger prints at home.

The technology is cheap and mobile.

Big Bro is watching........
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 8:22:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm sorry, aside from the 'traditional' national ID card, also known as your social security card, not for this American.  If they want to put your pic on a 'plastic' social security card....I might go for that.

But, where will it end?  How about this senario......

Once upon a time.....
in America.  Kaliburz is driving around enjoying th view of the country.  A road sign says border crossing in five miles.  Please tune to FM channel 89.8 for instructions.
"Click"
"As you approach the check point, remember to have your national ID card ready.  Please state to the attendent your road selections and how long you plan to be in the state and if it is on business or for pleaure.  All citizens are strongly urged to update their card to the new microchip ID system for the security of the country.  Your cooperation is your security."

As Kaliburz approches the gate, an armed Army soldier puts his hand out.  An M1A1 tank is off to the side of the road......it's main battle gun pointed toward the road.

"Good afternoon sir.  May I please see your travel papers and documentation.  This will only take a few minutes before you can continue on into the state.  Oh, just for you information, another check point is down the road about thirty miles, just on the outside of the cit limits."

So, where will changes for "security" end?  

Trading freedoms for security is not for this American.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 8:27:56 PM EDT
[#11]
If this does happen this would be the start of the new American revolution. It will be time for all to lock and load.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 5:47:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Larry Ellison is a damn fascist.

I like the way he says "... The cards would be voluntary for all U.S. citizens, he said Tuesday. Any American without a card still could board a plane, but only after undergoing a more rigorous search."

Yeah right.  And having a social security number is voluntary for all U.S. citizens.  Only if you live in a cave.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 5:49:00 PM EDT
[#13]

Continued from the article...

The cards would be mandatory, however, for foreign visitors, including students on visas and non-citizens living and working in the United States who now carry ``green cards,'' he said

I have actually seen a "green card" (which is not green), and it is a pretty fancy piece of work with hologram, thumbprint, et.al.  All the legal permanent residents are required to carry one.  So why give them a second National I.D. card?  Or is this really intended towards citizens?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top