Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2004 2:38:10 PM EDT
… Is it imperative, when picking up a lady at her house, on a first dinner date to take flowers?

… I’m not so structured that I feel it’s necessary but on the other hand I would hate to miss a cue on something you ladies consider compulsory.

… A centerpiece bouquet (I try to always keep fresh flowers in my home) or a single rose perhaps.  

… I don’t want to give the wrong signal. Please advise, thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 3:05:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think flowers are ever mandatory, but I have yet to hear myself of my friends say "Ack, who needs flowers???!"  I say go for them, but if its a first date, I would not go for the rose...it seems a little over the top to me.  Others might disagree on that point, though.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 3:30:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I would say that flowers are not necessary, as most women today do not expect them.  However, I know that for me, I was extremely touched when I was picked up, on a first date, and was given a single rose.  It is not over the top, ( and also not a lot of money ), but it shows that he cared enough to go a little extra for me.  I was extremely impressed, and it set the right tone for the rest of the evening.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 4:03:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree - not necessary but
extremely impressive.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 4:27:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Heck! I'd be happy if a guy picked flowers from MY yard to give me on a first date!

<---- not very demanding!

I say a single rose or SMALL bouquet of something else. Nothing too fancy...

When's the date?
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:27:02 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Heck! I'd be happy if a guy picked flowers from MY yard to give me on a first date!

When's the date?

+1
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:58:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Not to hijack Winston's thread, but I have a similar question.....

I have a 'first date' tomorrow evening....what flower (rose? what color?) would be appropriate?

Also, I have a first-thing-we've-done-since-we've-been-fighting-over-stupid-stuff thing monday evening......should I present flowers, a card, or send her a bouquet at work the next day? Here I'm leaning towards flowers/balloons at work the next day....I know her job sucks right now, I think it might make the best impact.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:29:39 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

When's the date?

x1,000,000

arowneragain,  Go with whatever you are comfortable with, but the flowers might be better before the date so they can set the tone of the evening.  I'd reccomend a colorful bouquet with a variety of flowers, but that's just me.  Carnations are also a good choice without being as over-the-top as roses.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:33:25 PM EDT
[#8]
If it's a formal "pick you up at your place" date I generally try to take flowers.  One of the side benefits of living in the big city is that they sell them on streetcoeners and will walk right up to your window for you.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:12:49 PM EDT
[#9]
<-------------------never got flowers for a first date.  

I got a rose a few times......................at a bar...........................at the end of the night......................bought from the lady that comes around after all the guys are drunk and pressures them into buying them for the girls.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:35:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Flowers are not imperative but they are a nice touch.  I'd suggest something simple unless by some strange coincidence you know what her favorite flower is.  If the date goes well, it is nice to send flowers the next day .  Best of luck.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 10:36:20 PM EDT
[#11]
... Thanks girls, the small bouquet was the perfect touch I believe. She took the time to cut each stem, prepare a nice vase and carefully arrange the flowers properly prior to our departure. She grinned from ear to ear all the while. I let her focus on the floral arraignment as I perused each of her portraits and pictures proudly displayed on her etagere.

… As mentioned before, I generally always keep flowers displayed at home. I do it for myself primarily. Like smooth jazz and fine coffee on a Sunday morning, flowers provide a certain Feng Shui to an abode better than any other inanimate object ever could. It’s like a bit of chivalry in my home that otherwise looks more like a military bunker rather than some place to raise children.

… Thank you, the date went very well, follow-up rendezvous’ planned already.

... See; you gals can perhaps mold some of us heathens into something somewhat resembling gentlemen after all!
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 11:51:07 PM EDT
[#12]
2:36am and you're already home?  Didn't go well, huh?
I'm kidding!

Did you at least open the car door and pull her chair out?
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:05:06 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Did you at least open the car door and pull her chair out?

... Absolutely, those things are a universal constant

... However, I don't think she appreciated my recommendation for a belch-off contest after our third Coronas.  

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:08:09 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
... However, I don't think she appreciated my recommendation for a belch-off contest after our third Coronas.  

Dump her!  
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:10:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Glad to see you took some of the good advice from the womenz here. Glad you had a good evening too. If I had been here yesterday, I would have told you the same thing.. flowers are nice, but not important.

arowneragain.. flowers before the date.. always helps to sooth the feelings just a bit more.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top