Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2006 3:09:08 PM EDT
$2.55 a gallon here now in mid-michigan.  

Now what's their latest excuse???

vmax84
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:12:06 PM EDT
[#1]
they arent making enough money?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:14:50 PM EDT
[#2]
It was so much fun the first time they're ready for MORE.

Bend over or get a pogo stick. 2.21 here, up from 2.15. Wait till summer.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:15:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Its all Bush's fault.....don'tchaknow...??

ETA:  I heard that some pipeline in Saudia Arabia was attacked (last week?)or some damn something...who really knows??

"F'ed" in the "A"....again.....  
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:22:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:23:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I was just thinking the same thing today, at $2.20/gal for 93 octane in Charlotte last week to 2.40 today? WTF?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:29:35 PM EDT
[#6]
New boat season arriving shortly, boat payments begin.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:36:03 PM EDT
[#7]
They got start setting aside money for Bush's retirement.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:38:25 PM EDT
[#8]
trust me when I tell you

3.00 + by spring

natural gas is going up as well

the sad part is there is plenty of both for 100+ years

I work in the industry , there is plenty of both
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:43:57 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
trust me when I tell you

3.00 + by spring

natural gas is going up as well

the sad part is there is plenty of both for 100+ years

I work in the industry , there is plenty of both

$$$, it's all about the dollars friend
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:46:45 PM EDT
[#10]
$3.50 this summer, observe the economy take a dump and there will be a backlash against the Republicans.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:50:08 PM EDT
[#11]
There is absolutely no justification for the price hikes we have seen in the last couple weeks.  For the last 2 months gas has been trading between $60 and $63 a barrel.  US supply of oil is actually higher this year than it was a year ago.  Current US oil usage turned out to be lower than what was expected for this year.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:52:07 PM EDT
[#12]
just wait and see if another hurricane hits LA.  we got lucky this time.  if a NASTY one hits and severs the LOOP pipeline, you'll pray for $3 gas
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:52:46 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
There is absolutely no justification for the price hikes we have seen in the last couple weeks.  For the last 2 months gas has been trading between $60 and $63 a barrel.  US supply of oil is actually higher this year than it was a year ago.  Current US oil usage turned out to be lower than what was expected for this year.

I don't know... I always just blamed capitalism.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:06:35 PM EDT
[#14]
I was shocked as well.  A gas station I just filled up at two days ago was 2.09.  Today it was 2.23!  WTF?  
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:04:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Filled up at a station for $1.95 gallon on Friday, same station is now $2.20 a gallon, in just 4 days! Folks, that is about a 12.5% price jump. The terrorist attack in Saudi Arabia did zero damage, yet our "friends" in big oil used that as an excuse to jack us up again.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:07:36 PM EDT
[#16]
excellent!
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:12:01 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Filled up at a station for $1.95 gallon on Friday, same station is now $2.20 a gallon, in just 4 days! Folks, that is about a 12.5% price jump. The terrorist attack in Saudi Arabia did zero damage, yet our "friends" in big oil used that as an excuse to jack us up again.

Yeah... and you keep buying gas.  The government should just fix gas prices, like in Mexico, right?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:19:12 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah... and you keep buying gas.  The government should just fix gas prices, like in Mexico, right?

Congrats, you're the first Big Oil Apologist in this thread. What's your next suggestion - that he not buy gas? That's right, I keep forgetting that the 10+ billion of profits per quarter for the CEO of ExxonMobile is more important than the health of our economy.

He should just not buy gas. Hell all of us should not buy gas - I mean it's not that we need to go to our jobs right? Or to the store? Or anywhere, basically. Let's go back to horses and camels. Oh and just walk to work, too. There we go.

Went up from $2.18 to $2.37 here... not one, but 2 price hikes in 1 day (Friday) and another today.

More profit for an industry that does not reinvest that profit in additional supply. That's just what the economy ordered!
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:23:02 PM EDT
[#19]
i know this is arfcom HERESY but i'm going to say it

hold off on the next couple gun purchases and invest a small amount in an oil company and a refining company

then you can be HAPPY when the gas price goes up instead of bitchin' about it
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:25:20 PM EDT
[#20]
went from 2.16 this morning to 2.19 on the way home...
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:27:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:28:15 PM EDT
[#22]

That's right, I keep forgetting that the 10+ billion of profits per quarter for the CEO of ExxonMobile is more important than the health of our economy.

More profit for an industry that does not reinvest that profit in additional supply. That's just what the economy ordered!

Their profit margin went down.  They are spending more money to bring oil to market but getting less money out of it.

If they choose not to reinvest it, it is their right.  They are private companies.  Maybe if we didn't allow big government hamstring the energy companies we wouldn't be in this mess.  Drill off Florida, California and in ANWR.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:31:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Maybe their tax breaks were cut off?

No, not likely.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:35:56 PM EDT
[#24]
well I guess I'll have to ride the honda this week (40 mpg) rather ran drive the Merc (17 mpg)
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:38:07 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Maybe if we didn't allow big government hamstring the energy companies we wouldn't be in this mess.  

+1

With bullshit environmental policies that force the oil companies to produce hundreds of boutique fuels, several for each state, how can you blame them for not bending over backwards. Instead of bitching so much, you people should buy XOM.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:51:49 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Congrats, you're the first Big Oil Apologist in this thread. What's your next suggestion - that he not buy gas? That's right, I keep forgetting that the 10+ billion of profits per quarter for the CEO of ExxonMobile is more important than the health of our economy.

He should just not buy gas. Hell all of us should not buy gas - I mean it's not that we need to go to our jobs right? Or to the store? Or anywhere, basically. Let's go back to horses and camels. Oh and just walk to work, too. There we go.

Went up from $2.18 to $2.37 here... not one, but 2 price hikes in 1 day (Friday) and another today.

Ok... but if Microsoft charged $800 for Windows, you'd be whining too.  If tire companies all of the sudden started to charge $300 for a basic tire, you'd be whining too.  If farmers decided apples were worth $2 instead of $1, you'd be whining too.  If beer companies said a case of shitty beer should cost $20, you'd be whining too.

Yeah, that'd suck.

It's someone else's job to step up to the plate and offer another subsitute product at a cheaper rate... Here in the United States, we call it Capitalism.  When one place is charging too much, someone else can offer it for cheaper, and will make more money.  If you ran a convenient store you could charge $5 for a can of pop... I'd shop elsewhere but I wouldn't cry about it and insist that Uncle Sam came to your convenient store and force you to charge a more reasonable $1 for a can of pop.

Hey, tree hugging liberals often get around spending less money on gas... I'm not willing to drive a Prius, and it's too far to ride my bike, so I weigh my options and I drive to work.  When I'm at school, I walk because it's a five minute walk and I'm cheap.

I'm not standing up for "big oil" any more than I would stand up for a farmer who decided he wanted to try to charge $2 for an apple while the guy next door charged $1.  If the guy next door then chose to charge $1.50, maybe the guy down the road will hire little kids to pick his apples for cheaper and he'll sell them for $1 again.

The only "shitty capitalism" I see is union labor.  When you have a company by the balls... say, as a pilot union, and you band together with all the other pilots and you tell your airline, "we're all going to use 25% more fuel if you don't give us a $10,000 raise this year."  To me, that is shitty capitalism.  Though, of course, those pilots (or UAW members) would disagree.

*editted for grammar
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:28:49 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Ok... but if Microsoft charged $800 for Windows, you'd be whining too.  If tire companies all of the sudden started to charge $300 for a basic tire, you'd be whining too.  If farmers decided apples were worth $2 instead of $1, you'd be whining too.  If beer companies said a case of shitty beer should cost $20, you'd be whining too.

If Microsoft charged $800 for Windows, you can always pirate it. If beer cost $20, you can always not buy beer. Neither of these are essential to our economy or our way of life. Oil is. Oil runs our economy. That's a fact. Why should the same rules apply for such a critical resource to our economy and our way of life?

It's someone else's job to step up to the plate and offer another subsitute product at a cheaper rate... Here in the United States, we call it Capitalism.  When one place is charging too much, someone else can offer it for cheaper, and will make more money.  If you ran a convenient store you could charge $5 for a can of pop... I'd shop elsewhere but I wouldn't cry about it and insist that Uncle Sam came to your convenient store and force you to charge a more reasonable $1 for a can of pop.

Doesn't apply here. If a can of pop cost $5 throughout the country due to collusion by the soda companies, then what would you say? "Oh it's just capitalism, they can collude and charge all they want if you don't agree you're a communist".

Not to mention that the soda companies would spend billions to work against any cheaper alternatives to soda companies... kinda like the oil industry and alternative fuels.

Hey, tree hugging liberals often get around spending less money on gas... I'm not willing to drive a Prius, and it's too far to ride my bike, so I weigh my options and I drive to work.  When I'm at school, I walk because it's a five minute walk and I'm cheap.

So in order words, you drive an SUV and aren't in the least bit concerned about national security.

I'm not standing up for "big oil" any more than I would stand up for a farmer who decided he wanted to try to charge $2 for an apple while the guy next door charged $1.  If the guy next door then chose to charge $1.50, maybe the guy down the road will hire little kids to pick his apples for cheaper and he'll sell them for $1 again.

Again, doesn't apply as there is no competition amongst Big Oil. They serve different markets and work with each other to keep the price high for all.

Your myths were quite well dubunked on this forum about a month ago.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:36:02 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Again, doesn't apply as there is no competition amongst Big Oil. They serve different markets and work with each other to keep the price high for all.

That is a bunch of anti-freemarket/pro-communism BS.  If the economy tanks who will be one of the industry's that will be hit the hardest?  The energy sector!  Plus high oil valuations have cut MARGINS which is really the measuring stick for sucess.  It is costing more for oil companies to drill, export and process oil now so they are making less money per barrel of oil.  Allowing the free market to work will cause the market to adjust and evolve to the increase in fuel costs.  Government intervention only makes things worse, why is that so hard to understand?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:41:16 PM EDT
[#29]
IBPO (In Before Peak_Oil)!

I blame it on the IAEA talks regarding Iran today................
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:46:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Same as always......a gnat farts somewhere in the oil world and the Vampires speculators see an opportunity to gouge the public.
Doesn't matter if it affects oil production or not.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:47:33 PM EDT
[#31]
As long as everyone that controls the oil agrees to raise the prices they will, why wouldn't they??? Every few months there must be a conference call somewhere and they decide how much more money a day they want to make.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top