Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/15/2006 3:32:39 PM EST
Yes this is a fucking RANT !!
I'm having a REAL hard time giving a shit about my Suburban.
Those of you who own one will understand.
The leaking heater core.[ pissed]
When I bought it it had the original in it which started leaking not long after I bought it. I replaced it with a new GM part.
It lasted 8 months.
I replaced it with another GM part which according to the GM guys, is the best option for that part.
It's now been a little over a year since the last one and what do I find on my passenger floormat ??
Fucking worthless GM SHIT !! I've been a Toyota master tech for over twenty years now and can count the bad heater cores on Toyotas I've seen on one hand !!
And Toyota parts are as good as the vehicles.
Guess I'll waste another afternoon taking that STUPID FUCKING design apart to replace another defective GM part.

Link Posted: 4/15/2006 3:37:21 PM EST
What year is it? My 94 1500 PU still has the original heater core. It has the old TBI motor. Uncle's 96 2500 with the Vortec motor has been through 4 and always stays clogged with dust, wtf?
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 3:39:31 PM EST

Originally Posted By jmarkma:
What year is it? My 94 1500 PU still has the original heater core. It has the old TBI motor. Uncle's 96 2500 with the Vortec motor has been through 4 and always stays clogged with dust, wtf?

1990, old body style with solid front axle.
5.7 TBI, 4x4
This is a common issue with these.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 3:41:24 PM EST
Reason 98,255 why GM is sucking hind tit.

I'll quit buying Japanese cars and start buying American again when American cars can meet the Japanese quality standards.

I drove a 2006 Pontiac while my Maxima was in the shop. Was like driving a buckboard.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 3:41:34 PM EST
Describe the failure. Did they both fail the same way? Corrosion? Poor sealing at solder/ joints? Does the unit mount securely enough to isolate it from excessive vibration?
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 3:42:42 PM EST

Originally Posted By SPECTRE:

..And yet you complain about it?

If I know my car has transmission issues and probably wont make it to 50k before it needs a rebuild or replacement...well, guess what, I won't be bitchin so hard about it when it happens...

You made the choice to get it, knowing it's faults, it looks like

Why are you complaining about it then?

I'm sure there's an equal number of problems with varying model years of ALL vehicles, not just American/GM cars.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 3:47:13 PM EST
GM.

HA HA.

Link Posted: 4/15/2006 3:52:42 PM EST
lawl,

kiss

the older the car usually the less problems, speaking american cars :)

(skip the 80's)

im speaking of engine/transmission wise, though

sounds like you just need to get rid of that POS and stop dropping heater cores into it :)
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 3:56:50 PM EST
The '99 Silverado we've got now will undoubtedly be the last GM vehicle I own. And, more than likely, the last US "Big 3" vehicle I own.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 4:14:15 PM EST
Originally Posted By spartacus2002:
I'll quit buying Japanese cars and start buying American again when American cars can meet the Japanese quality standards.

quote]

I drove a Pontiac Vibe recently and it was worse than my 91 Acura Integra. Noisy and ratteled.

I still have a crappy Ford Windstar that Lord willings will be replaced soon. Three transmission, computer, shock towers, drums, rotors, engine, exhaust pipes, radio, doors, in less than ten years.

15 year old Acura ? clutch at 225,000 miles.

Of course we will soon hear from the "save American jobs" crowd....I wish they would build something that wasn't a piece of crap. They should be embarressed for building junk. If they were served food from health hazard resturants, or live in crappy housing, I'm sure they would complain and expect better. But for some reason they think they can build a horrible automobile and we are to feel guilty for not buying it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 4:16:03 PM EST
Jap and Swedish cars is where it's at.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 4:18:35 PM EST

Originally Posted By NavajoGunOwner:

I drove a Pontiac Vibe recently and it was worse than my 91 Acura Integra. Noisy and ratteled.

Suprise. It's a Toyota.

Jim
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 4:18:36 PM EST

Originally Posted By raven:

Don't forget the Krauts....
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 4:19:16 PM EST

5.7 TBI, 4x4

It's 16 years old............................ yeah it's a lemon.

Let me tell you about the piece of crap Dusendurg I have................... There is always wind noise around the windows.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 4:20:43 PM EST
I don't care how you try to rationalize it, American Cars suck in the end.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 4:22:15 PM EST

Originally Posted By Lockedon:
I don't care how you try to rationalize it, American Cars suck in the end.

+1
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 4:22:33 PM EST
tagged
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 4:22:54 PM EST
My 99' Dodge Stratus is still running good
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 4:25:20 PM EST
You're a Toyota master tech and your bought GM?

Man, WTF is wrong with you?
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 4:27:10 PM EST
My Kalifornia Made in the USA American Truck rocks!

Link Posted: 4/15/2006 4:27:12 PM EST

Originally Posted By KS_Physicist:

Originally Posted By NavajoGunOwner:

Suprise. It's a Toyota.

Jim

Which is further proof that GM could fuck up a wet dream.

SG
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 4:27:56 PM EST
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 4:34:02 PM EST
My sister has a Pontiac Vibe. No problems in a year of ownership. The Vibe's engine is a tad noisy(the 130 hp four,) but not a bad little car. (Yes underpinnings come from the Toyota Corolla, the vehicle itself is a twin of the Toyota Matrix). It is made in the Fremont, California assembly plant the Taco is built in.

As far as the Suburban, if you're constantly pouring money into it(is it high miles) it might be time to get rid of it.

My parents own two GM's and have a GM company vehicle. No problems in a little over a month's ownership of a 2006 Chevy Silverado. No problems in almost a year of ownership of a 2005 Chevy TrailBlazer. My dad had a 1997 Chevy C2500, only a bad alternator, and a fuel pump were the problems to come out of that in a year and change of ownership. He aslo has a 2004 GMC Sierra 3500(the co. truck) and no problems.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 4:46:31 PM EST
It's sad how the once great American automobile industry is dying in mediocrity (or worse). But yes, Toyota is king. Although, I am very impressed with Audi as of late. Excellent cars, I dare say. Volvos can be quirky but overall, they are beaters, and will handle years and years of abuse well.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 4:48:07 PM EST

I like your thinking.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 4:52:41 PM EST

Originally Posted By spartacus2002:

<Snip> I drove a 2006 Pontiac while my Maxima was in the shop. Was like driving a buckboard.

Link Posted: 4/15/2006 4:57:23 PM EST

When I bought it it had the original in it which started leaking not long after I bought it. I replaced it with a new GM part.
It lasted 8 months.
I replaced it with another GM part which according to the GM guys, is the best option for that part.
It's now been a little over a year since the last one and what do I find on my passenger floormat ??
Fucking worthless GM SHIT !! I've been a Toyota master tech for over twenty years now and can count the bad heater cores on Toyotas I've seen on one hand !!
Guess I'll waste another afternoon taking that STUPID FUCKING design apart to replace another defective GM part.

Should have bought an american made Toyota Tacoma Quad cab.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 4:58:13 PM EST

Originally Posted By AssaultRifler:

tacoma4x4.no-ip.com/AR15s/Tacoma.jpg

If you only want 3/4 of a full size truck.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 5:00:10 PM EST
I'm on my 3rd and 4th Chevy right now. I had a '97 Silverado and a '94 Cavalier, both fantastic cars with high mileage when I sold them, very few problems with either (radiator replaced on the Cavalier, lower intake manifold gasket on the Silverado). I owned those prior to the '04 Silverado and '04 Malibu we have now, again no problems. I like American cars and Japanese/ British motorcycles. That is all.

--VT
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 5:02:09 PM EST

Originally Posted By guns762:

Originally Posted By AssaultRifler:

tacoma4x4.no-ip.com/AR15s/Tacoma.jpg

If you only want 3/4 of a full size truck.

Its a commuter and off road truck. Not a farm/construction vehicle. I dont think he's bothered that you can haul a few lmore bags of feed than you can.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 5:04:22 PM EST

Originally Posted By VT4meGunCtrlisAntiUS:
I'm on my 3rd and 4th Chevy right now. I had a '97 Silverado and a '94 Cavalier, both fantastic cars .

When you buy a new car every 3 or 4 years they are all fantastic.

Now a testiment to GM would be "I'm on my second chevy in 20 years" Not I'm on my fourth chevy in 12 years.

A car you dont drive at least 10 years is a waste of money.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 5:17:40 PM EST

Originally Posted By AR15fan:

Originally Posted By VT4meGunCtrlisAntiUS:
I'm on my 3rd and 4th Chevy right now. I had a '97 Silverado and a '94 Cavalier, both fantastic cars .

When you buy a new car every 3 or 4 years they are all fantastic.

Now a testiment to GM would be "I'm on my second chevy in 20 years" Not I'm on my fourth chevy in 12 years.

A car you dont drive at least 10 years is a waste of money.

+1

The typical American car will have the same amount of problems at 3 years as a Japanese car has at 8 years.

My last 3 cars were American. All the rest will be something else.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 5:21:11 PM EST
AJNTSA
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 5:23:05 PM EST

Originally Posted By shop_rat45:
AJNTSA

+300 gazillion.

I love GM vehicles. Better than any Ford or Chrysler product I have experienced.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 5:23:43 PM EST

Originally Posted By AR15fan:

It lasted 8 months.

Should have bought an american made Toyota Tacoma Quad cab.

Did they make Tacoma Quad Cabs in 1990?
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 5:24:45 PM EST
Lemme get this straight...

You drive a 16 year old vehicle that has a recurring problem with the heater core, which you continue to buy from the same place ?

As a master tech, you should be pretty aware of what makes up a heater core... (Not much)
There ain't a 'whole lot of things to go bad on a heater core.

What are you using for antifreeze ?

Don't EVEN tell me you are using that orange Dexcool (deathcool) crap.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 5:30:07 PM EST

Originally Posted By twonami:

its funny you should mention that. my 98 stratus check engine light just came on tonight. as i was leaving the range
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 5:34:32 PM EST

Not one problem with my '67 F250, '69 F600 or '72 F350. Funny how that works...
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 5:49:18 PM EST

Originally Posted By Redcap:

Hang onto those, something you could work on. Anything before minor emission controls don't count in the rant. I had a 79 Pontiac that had a good body and frame to work on. (Ihad put in a high preformance engine/transmission)
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 5:56:07 PM EST

Originally Posted By Dragracer_Art:

You drive a 16 year old vehicle that has a recurring problem with the heater core, which you continue to buy from the same place ?

As a master tech, you should be pretty aware of what makes up a heater core... (Not much)

If you have a 16 year old vehicle, you should expect it need more maint, and repairs than a new vehicle.

It should be paid of, unless you got it on a 20 yr lease/loan. So it's far cheaper than the payments for an '06 Tahoe.

Have you considered that if heater cores keep going out, there may be something causing it? Is a mounting bracket bent, firewall hole mishapen, hoses improperly routed, etc, have you checked any of that? Or do you plan on just plugging in more heater cores, and complaining when they fail?

For God's sake man, you live in fricken Arizona, with a 16 year old truck, just bypass the heater core...........................
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 6:27:25 PM EST

Originally Posted By cruze5:

Originally Posted By twonami:

its funny you should mention that. my 98 stratus check engine light just came on tonight. as i was leaving the range

too bad you aren't near by. I could whip out the Autotap on my PC and my service manual
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 6:42:42 PM EST
I have a 2006 GM car and it has given me no problems whatsoever.
It's a Daewoo Kalos...errrr....Chevrolet Aveo.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 6:45:24 PM EST

Originally Posted By Redcap:

Those are the years before the Big Three really started putting out utter crap. Late 70's until late 80's. You're a fool to buy any American car built in that era. The Jap competition came in and kicked Detroit int the ass, they upped their quality after that. They became barely tolerable 1990's and beyond.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 6:52:58 PM EST

Originally Posted By Ineedhelp:
GM.

HA HA.

You need to properly maintain your car so you won't have any malfunctions. For example, I replace the Dodge transmission (only with Dodge brand transmissions) every 40,000 miles--approximately one transmission per 12 oil changes. And now we're on our 4th transmission!

Yup, you shoulda bought a Dodge.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 7:18:57 PM EST

While you're at it, check to see that all the engine ground straps are still connected. Some vehicles have a problem with a small voltage difference being developed between the engine block and the heater core and/or radiator (which leads to rapid corrosion, due to electrolysis).

Even if the existing grounds are still there, it might not hurt to run a good, heavy strap directly between the heater core and the engine block. Basically, the idea is to keep the block and heater core within a small fraction of a volt of each other, (as measured with a voltmeter), both when the engine is running and when it is turned off.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 7:25:37 PM EST

Originally Posted By deej86:

Originally Posted By shop_rat45:
AJNTSA

+300 gazillion.

I love GM vehicles. Better than any Ford or Chrysler product I have experienced.

And still shit compared to a Nissan, Honda or Toyota.

Sad but true.

SG
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 8:06:11 PM EST

Originally Posted By Dragracer_Art:

No, no deathcool and Through much research including advice from friends who are GM techs the BEST available heater core is the factory part.
The suburban itself is a fine vehicle but the heater core is SHIT.
If someone made a better heater core I would buy it.
My beef is with the PART and the lack of a GOOD part to make a GOOD repair with.
A heater core should last longer than a year dontcha think ??
The reason I have this vehicle is my whole tribe can get in it. Something Toyota doesn't offer, at least one I can afford.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 8:27:59 PM EST

friends who are GM techs the BEST available heater core is the factory part.

What else would they say? They put food on the table by selling you their product....

"Insanity.....doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result." Enstien paraphrased.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 8:38:23 PM EST

Originally Posted By ChrisLe:

Don't forget the Krauts....

Representing Deustchland! Holdin it down on the engineering tip, ja!
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 9:44:24 PM EST
Wife's 2000 Taurus is a daily driver and has been a flawless car. Not one tiny problem to mention. We just change the oil, rotate the tires, and follow the service intervals. Even the battery made it until just last month.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 9:46:12 PM EST

5.7 TBI, 4x4

My first one lasted over 20 years.

2nd one is still going, autozone special.

What are you whining about? they're a piece of cake to change.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top