Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/28/2002 7:10:18 AM EDT
Hey guys and gals, I need some help.  I am trying to build the cheapest AR15 possible to give to my father.  Here is why:

As some of you oldtimers here know, I used to drink heavily (im-BALMING-fluid) but I have quit, going on 10 months and eight days now.  I was not the best son to my parents during thse past 15 years or so that I drank.  They have always been real supportive of me and I repay them now by being the best son to them  and father to my children as I can.  Anyway, my father found out 3 months before retirement that he has Cancer, and since he has had 4 bypasses, I don't imagine he has more than a few more years.  I took him shooting the other day and although he wasn't very fond of the AK, he was really impressed with the AR15, and stated "I might need to get one of those to have around here just in case!"  I guess some of my paranoia has rubbed off on him!

I have no extra money, just barely enough to pay bills.

I am looking for the cheapest components I can get.  A 1-12 barrel is fine, triangle handguards, a1 receiver, etc.  

I will trade high capacity mags, other gun stuff, my 1964 Honda Dream motorcycle, my pull behind camper, gunsmith services, and I have a large selection of gun parts for sporting rifles, shotguns, and pistols.

The parts I already have are posted further down the thread.  

Or if you know of a source for any of the parts I need, let me know.

Thanks!!!

[email protected]

Link Posted: 7/28/2002 7:14:16 AM EDT
[#1]
I think the cheapest way to go would be the Oly Plinker around $500.  No clue as to how they look or shoot though.
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 7:20:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 7:24:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Let me check and see what I have.

I'll get back to ya.

SGtar15
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 7:25:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Someone just donated a stripped bolt!  Thanks BeerSlayer!!!!

Also, the Honda Dream will start, but has rotted tires, rusty rims, rusty interior tank, etc.  IKt has good compression, but needs a lot of work.

Balming
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 7:25:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 7:26:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 7:36:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Again I am reminded that I threw away the good stuff and kept the junk...$5K for a 35 year old jap bike...
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 7:42:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Check your paypal account
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 8:26:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Kuryakyn, I don't know what to say!  I never expectd something like that.  If you'll email me your home addrss, I'll try to drop something in the mail for your kindness. Thanks!

BTW, I read your profile, and I grew up in Taylor Michigan, then moved here to Alabama in 1989.  Taylor was not a very good place to grow up (drugs, alcohol, etc.) and moving away from all my friends as a teenager made it even worse.

Thanks again,

Dan    AKA     Balming

Link Posted: 7/28/2002 8:32:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Dan nothing is needed in return just hook up the old man. And Taylor still Sucks ! [:(]
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 8:33:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Here is a better description of the 1964 Honda Dream:

Good compression, and will start. rotted tires and tubes, rusty rims, shift lever shaft broke flush with motor, so I tapped a 3/8 hole for a bolt to secure the shift lever.  good sound fenders.  missing battery cover, sticky brake and clutch cables, seat is torn but servicable.  ignition retaining nut broken, ignition needs work.  new lawnmower battery, plugs, oil.  mufflers look good but a few small hols in the bottom of one of them.  It could probably be made into a nice rider for around $300 or so.  If anyone is close to gadsden Alabama and is interested, come take a look.

Thanks again guys, y'all are great.

Balming
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 8:48:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 8:49:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 8:58:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Check your IM
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 9:20:12 AM EDT
[#15]
I have never checked IM messages.  I hate to admit that I don't know how.  Can someone tell me?

You don't know how much I appreciate you tacking this topic up for me.  It feels so good to do something nice for my Dad after all these years.  He has been the finest example of a Father anyone could ask for.  I hope I can do the same for my children.

Balming
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 9:22:12 AM EDT
[#16]
I would also like to publicly thank Hank for his outstanding kndness!  

Balming
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 9:33:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 9:49:16 AM EDT
[#18]
I'd also like to add that since my father can't see well enough to use the sights, an old striped a1 upper with the carry handle smashed or bent, or a front sight base that has the top smashed or bent would be fine.  I'll have to cut off the carry handle and put some type of optics he can use anyway.

Also, someone suggested that I should give him mine.  My father is an old, stoic, stubborn German, and wouldn't hear of it.  But I may take the guts out of my lower and whatever parts I can't come up with and replace them later.  He wouldn't be able to tell I had done that.

Balming
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 10:18:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 10:25:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Hank, you aren't nearly as evil as you look in the picture!

Balming
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 11:35:15 AM EDT
[#21]
I have one M16 lower parts kit that I would be willing to trade for AR15 parts, and then you can just hve whatever I get.

M16 Hammer, Trigger, Selector, and Disconnector.
I may even be able to hook ya up with a GI Sear.
[email protected]
Trade for AR15 parts to help out balming

(Hey B- List what parts you have already, or what parts you will be buying so I know what parts to get fer ya)
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 11:52:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Thanks McUzi!

This is what I have so far:

-A1 buttstock, stripped
-A2 upper, stripped (but I don't need any sight parts, since I'll be cutting ofdf the handle anyway, Dad can't see well enough for sights)
-mag button
-complete bolt (no carrier)
-dust cover
-firing pin
-bolt cam pin
-pistol grip
-charging handle
-lower receiver
-barrel

I think that's it for now.

Balming

edited to update parts list.

Link Posted: 7/28/2002 12:21:20 PM EDT
[#23]
.... and ANOTHER.

Link Posted: 7/28/2002 12:22:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Forgot to mention -->  Our best wishes to your dad!  

Link Posted: 7/28/2002 12:25:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Thanks McUzi!

-A2 upper, stripped (but I don't need any sight parts, since I'll be cutting ofdf the handle anyway, Dad can't see well enough for sights)Balming

View Quote

Why would you cut the carry handle off?  Wouldn't it be easier to mount the scope with the handle intact?
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 12:48:46 PM EDT
[#26]
E-mail me, I might have something to contribute.

SRM
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 12:52:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

-A1 buttstock, stripped
-A2 upper, stripped (but I don't need any sight parts, since I'll be cutting ofdf the handle anyway, Dad can't see well enough for sights)
-mag button
-dust cover
-firing pin
-bolt cam pin
View Quote

Add a charging handle & p. grip to your list just send me your address.  I have a few other parts but can't remember w/out checking (I knowa gas key w/screws if you don't get one on the carrier).  Let us know what barrel length you get.
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 1:01:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Taylortucky, You guessed it. I lived in Michigan once, that was enough. Balming sorry to hear about your Dad. I lost my Dad 7 years ago and I still think of things I wish I had done. So if you think of it, do it!
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 1:30:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Thank you Don R!  You are definately not the ass that some think you are!!!  I appreciate the barrel and bolt carrier.

I have updated the parts list.

Balming
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 1:44:26 PM EDT
[#30]
-A1 buttstock, stripped
-A2 upper, stripped (but I don't need any sight parts, since I'll be cutting off the handle anyway, Dad can't see well enough for sights)
-mag button
-dust cover
-firing pin
-bolt cam pin
-pistol grip (needs screw & washer)
-charging handle
-lower receiver
-barrel
-AR buffer (needs spring & buffer tube)
View Quote

Including a buffer also. What length h.guards do you need for the barrel?

Link Posted: 7/28/2002 1:56:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Thank you Don R!  You are definately not the ass that some think you are!!!  I appreciate the barrel and bolt carrier.
Balming
View Quote

Shhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!  You said you wouldn't tell. [whacko]
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 1:59:45 PM EDT
[#32]
The way *I* heard it,
Don R is a fine PIECE of ASS!  [:D]
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 2:11:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 2:28:18 PM EDT
[#34]
I was going to offer a barrel, but it looks like you have that covered.  Might have some trigger parts if you need them....

SRM
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 3:10:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Don't cut off that handle...
I can hook you up with an AR15 4X carry handle scope w/ BDC, and so on. It mounts right to the handle. That way, you can keep the handle, but have optics too.
E-Mail me your address again...
I'll send you the Carry Handle scope, and the M16 parts.
You can use the parts to swap for AR parts, or "put 'em back" just in case [;)][;)]
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 3:41:46 PM EDT
[#36]
I have a DPMS front site base set up for screws rather than taper pins.  Drop me an IM if your barrel is set up for it, I'll send it your way.
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 4:44:27 PM EDT
[#37]
My suggestion is to give your AR to your Dad, and keep the beater gun for yourself...

On my Dad's last birthday,(Sept 22,2001) I showed up without a present because I was too friggin cheap to go out and find something for a Dad that already has "everything"...
I figured I'd catch up with him at Christmas time...

He died unexpectedly of a heart attack a few days later, on Oct 1st...

The guilt was unbelievable...
Weeks later, when my Mom split-up my Dad's guns between me and my 3 brothers, I refused to take any of them...My share of the guns went to my other brothers...
I still feel like shit for not doing something nice for my Dad's last birthday...

Give your Dad the nicest gun you can...
You will get it back someday, and without guilt...

BTW...
If you need a buffer tube, spacer, screw, and spring, (no buffer) I've got one for you...

Just drop me an email:
[email][email protected][/email]
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 5:01:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Balming, I'm a sucker for a "DAD" story. Drop me an email and I'll mail you a check for $50.00 to put towards your project.
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 5:04:01 PM EDT
[#39]
It turns out I do not have a barrel, so if you have one SRM let me know.  I don't know what type handguards are needed Kevin, I'll have to ask SRM.

As far as I know, I don't have any trigger parts yet McUzi, but I might be able to trade the full auto stuff for some, THANKS!

Balming
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 5:08:14 PM EDT
[#40]
McUzi, your email is not posted, but mine is [email protected]  Email me and I'll email you my address.

FrankSquid, thanks for the ammo offer!  I have plenty of it but I appreciate the offer!

Balming
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 5:55:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
BTW...
If you need a buffer tube, spacer, screw, and spring, (no buffer) I've got one for you...

Just drop me an email:
[email][email protected][/email]
View Quote

I've got the buffer but I think he needs the spring and tube (& maybe a A1 screw).

I've also got a lower parts set if he wants to trade 3 mags. By all acounts this would leave him short the barrel assy. (I may have h.guards)
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 6:06:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 6:31:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Check your e-mail.  I believe I got your old mans eyes covered. [sniper]

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 6:58:06 PM EDT
[#44]
I think I have some old M16 full length triangle handguards.
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 7:09:54 PM EDT
[#45]
A guy from work, just last week gave me a paper sack that had several pre-ban hi-cap mags, he said " you build ar's, don't you" I said hell yeah, "have these".  So I'd like to donate some hi-cap mags, Balming.

email me with your address.
also, I along with many will assemble your ar, if needed.  I have alot of springs,pins, just ask and there yours.

[email protected]
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 9:06:08 PM EDT
[#46]
I've got a pair of like new green CAR handgaurds you can have if needed.

Drop me an email if you'd like them...
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 9:13:14 PM EDT
[#47]
CG, you help us out and you'll earn my thanks.
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 11:29:21 PM EDT
[#48]
I have a set of Triangler hand guards if you want them you can email me. Im sorry I dont have more to offer but your welcome to them. Just drop me an email with you shipping address.
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 5:03:22 AM EDT
[#49]
Thanks for all the offers guys!  I'll have to let y'all know on the handguards, I'm unsure what type of barrel I'll be getting yet.

P_806, thanks a bunch!  Those will come in handy, and whatever doesn't go to my Dad, I can trade for parts.  Good job.

Balming
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 5:32:42 AM EDT
[#50]
With all the offers here, and the ones I have received by email, I've gotten confused!  I'm going to post my address here just in case I didn't email it to those that asked.

227 Big Oak Drive
Glencoe, AL 35905

All the parts can be sent here.

I know you're not supposed to post your address online, but I'll take my chances.

Thanks guys!!!

Balming
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top