Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2003 11:53:15 PM EDT
... get their origination?

... What exactly do they mean? As close as I can tell; yellow is liberal and blue more conservative.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 12:16:38 AM EDT
[#1]
A yellow dog democrat is a person who will vote for the democratic party no matter what - even if a yellow dog is running.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 12:58:38 AM EDT
[#2]
From [url=http://www.c-span.org/questions/weekly55.htm]here[/url]

The Blue Dogs derive their name from the artwork of a Cajun painter, George Rodrigue, well known in Louisiana for his series of paintings featuring an unusual blue dog. The fledgling members of what became the Blue Dog Coalition used to meet regularly in the offices of then-Democrats Rep. Billy Tauzin and Rep. Jimmy Hayes of Louisiana. Tauzin has since switched to the Republican party and Hayes was defeated in a run for the Senate. The Louisiana representatives had Rodrigue’s blue dog paintings displayed on the walls of their offices, and these provided the inspiration for the coalition’s name. One of the Blue Dogs, Rep. John Tanner from Tennessee, maintains that Blue Dogs are simply “yellow dogs that have been choked by extremes in both political parties to the point they have turned blue.”

Blue Dog Democrats are an actual voting coalition made up of Members of Congress, whereas Yellow Dog Democrat is an expression -- it describes a certain kind of voter. Nor are Blue Dogs ideological relatives of the "Yellow Dogs" of the South, even though they have similar names.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 3:03:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Blue Dog Democrats are simply conservative Democrats. The majority of the time they vote with the Republicans.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 5:14:58 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't know about the "blue dogs", but I heard the "yellow dog" appellation derived from an interrogatory about voting preferences.

It seems that in one category, candidate  #1, the Republican, was a highly moral, well educated family man known for good deeds in the community. He was a true patriot and had been a highly decorated soldier.

Candidate #2, the Democrat, was an old yellow, broken-legged dog, mangy, blind in one eye. It spent it's days lying on the porch, farting, biting strangers, and licking it's own private parts.

A "yellow dog" democrat will always vote for candidate #2 because of party affiliation.

BTW, is it just me, or is candidate #2 reminiscent of Ted Kennedy?
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 6:07:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
(snip)Candidate #2, the Democrat, was an old yellow, broken-legged dog, mangy, blind in one eye. It spent it's days lying on the porch, farting, biting strangers, and licking it's own private parts.

A "yellow dog" democrat will always vote for candidate #2 because of party affiliation.

BTW, is it just me, or is candidate #2 reminiscent of Ted Kennedy?
View Quote

Yep. And the living dead AKA the voters who keep putting him in every few years, the liberal voters of Massachusetts. "There always oughta be at least one Kennedy in office", said one little old lady to me a while ago....[rolleyes]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top