Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2004 6:43:01 AM EDT
... Ever earn enough vacation days that you lose them if you don't take them?

... After three days, at times I wonder, if I would have been better off to just give them up.

... I miss work
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:43:57 AM EDT
[#1]
You're sick
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:47:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Someone get this man a doctor. There is something wrong with him.....

Unless you are one of the lucky few who is doing a job for which God created him. In that case, you will feel like that much to the dismay of the little woman.....
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:50:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Before I got hurt I had 6 weeks vacation time saved up at my job.  They keep bitching at me to take the time off but everytime I tried they denied my requests.  Many other managers also had 4+ weeks accumilated.  One guys had 12 whole weeks!

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:50:07 AM EDT
[#4]
I will in a few years, I just started three months ago.  My dad has so many to burn (37 years working for the same place), he has to take every Friday off from about June until January (he already gets payday Fridays off due to flex time).

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:50:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Yup.  I had to give 27 days of leave back to Uncle Sugar in 1999.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:50:44 AM EDT
[#6]
I would gladly take some of your vacation time off your hands!!!  Does your company have a buyback plan or anything?
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:54:57 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

You can't sell your leave any longer???

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:59:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:09:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:13:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Ya know, when you get really old, are you going to look back and say 'gee, i wish I'd gone into work more...'  or are you going to think 'I'm glad I took the time to relax and enjoy a few out of the ordinary things'  ??
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:18:15 AM EDT
[#11]
I just cash mine out. Just had to educate my new employer on how Government contracts work. My time doesn't start when I got hired with them, it starts the day I started with the DOI. Pay up, bitch.
Cashed it all out for early X-mas, the death of the assault weapon ban.
-Steve
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:18:27 AM EDT
[#12]
You boys are kinda funny.....

Admit it, you like spending time at work cause you have a faster connection to ARFcom...
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:22:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:25:01 AM EDT
[#14]
all I have to say is I wanna be WW when I fucking grow up
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:25:33 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ya know, when you get really old, are you going to look back and say 'gee, i wish I'd gone into work more...'  or are you going to think 'I'm glad I took the time to relax and enjoy a few out of the ordinary things'  ??

I'm going to say--"DAYUM--I did good working so hard!!  Look at all my cool STUFF!!"

Hey, I grew up poor--but early on I learned I could trade my labor for money.  At age six or seven I started shovelling snow (Wisconsin), raking leaves, mowing yards, etc. for money.  I had a paper route at ten, two of them at twelve, and a real job mopping the locker room at the YMCA Peep show at 14 (having to look at naked middle-aged men will scar you for life!), a grocery store ($6/hour in 1975!) stocking job at 16, which I kept when I got out of HS and got a real job in a factory/warehouse at 18.  I started my present job (insurance agent) at age nineteen--the youngest in the company.  I was a Sales Manager in <two years, District Manager at age 23--by FAR the youngest in the company's history.  I ditched management two years later and have now spent 22+ years as an agent again.  STUFF means a lot to me.  Considering nothing has been given to me, and I lost half of my stuff to divorce at age 25, I really do have a lot of stuff.  I'll never be wealthy, but I have a lot of stuff I just LOVE to be surrounded by--and fondle.  

fixed for ya
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:25:44 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
and a week for deer hunting.  

Your wife is a deer hunter?

Forvive me for asking but does she field dress her own deer?

Does she have any sisters?
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:28:34 AM EDT
[#17]
My vacation time is pretty much 'use it or lose it'...   I've been with the company for almost 4 years, and have three weeks of vacation time.   This year, I also had 5 floating holidays, so I effectively have 4 weeks off.  

If I don't use it, it's gone come Jan 1.   I wish we could carry a few days over... I'd hold on to a few and take a big vacation next year.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:29:21 AM EDT
[#18]
I get 3 weeks a year that can't be rolled and don't get paid for if I don't use them.

It's now September 16 and I have used 3 days.

I do it every year, get to the middle of December and have to take it all off work over the holidays. That's okay, but I really should take the time when the weather is nice.

I generally don't really enjoy a vaca day unless the wife is taking one with me.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:30:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Yah, I have 15 days of vacation time I need to burn up...maybe it was 16 days? Something...

I took 5 of them already. Unfortunatly, taking the other 15 is going to prove tricky, considering all the crap that we need to do by the end of the year.

They also prohibited me from taking more than 15 days at a time, hence I had to take the other 5 seperatly. (Last year, between personal, sick, and vacation days accrued, I had something like 24 days...my direct manager, his direct manager, and I didn't get along at all. So, mid-november, I told them I was taking, starting the next day, the ass end of November and all of December off. They didn't like that. In fact, they tried to make me not take my sick days that I had accrued. Which was fine. So, I just called in sick for random days until they were burned )

This year, since I've been here 4 years, I got another week of vacation...had I done what I did last year (not use sick days, not use personal days)...I'd be looking at a month and a half off that I'd have to take, or lose.

What a pain in the ass.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:33:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:42:51 AM EDT
[#21]
We max out at 240 hours, but still accrue.  so I take off 10 hours out every pay period to keep from going over.  One of these days I have to take a vacation.

Our problem,  (If you could call it that)  Is too many different kinds of vacation days.

I work 4 10 hour shifts.  Every weekend is three days off.

I get two different kinds of comp time.  No limit,  I'm somewhere around 160 hours. Any overtime under 2 hours I usually comp.
Sick leave.  No limit there,  I have close to 1100 hours.
military leave, 15 days a year.
Holiday leave.  If you work a holiday,  you get that time off later, or  I can trade it for double holiday pay.  (more guns)

If I took all that time off I'd never get any work done.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:50:13 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

... After three days, at times I wonder, if I would have been better off to just give them up.

... I miss work

Hey bro,
My sis and her family are coming out for the weekend, so I took the rest of the week up. Want to send some rounds down range? I'll IM my info.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 8:12:26 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
You boys are kinda funny.....

Admit it, you like spending time at work cause you have a faster connection to ARFcom...

I almost called in sick today BUT...

I wouldnt have been able to keep up with some threads...

I wouldnt have been here to receive an upper that just arrived i bought from HANK.....

I wouldnt have been here to urge the calling of the brady center....

Might be dangerous if i had the net/cpu at home.

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:32:44 AM EDT
[#24]
I am in the same position.  Impossible to use up all my vacation days, and days at home are more work than work.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:39:17 AM EDT
[#25]
When I first started my current career I couldn't wait to get to work.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:40:18 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
and a week for deer hunting.  

Your wife is a deer hunter?

Forvive me for asking but does she field dress her own deer?

Does she have any sisters?

how about ~20 y.o. nieces?  
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:49:14 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

... I miss work

Seek professional help.  I took three months off.  I was between jobs and not looking very hard for another one.  I DID NOT MISS WORK.  I don't know how people get that way, especially retirees who go back to work because they 'miss it'.  I enjoyed my time off and I almost didn't take a job when offered.  I bet some folks work their entire lives without ever taking QUALITY time off.  This is where there is no schedule, no clock, no agenda, and you make your daily plans after coffee and breakfast.  I made furniture, cleaned up the ranch, cleaned all my guns, caught up on the reloading, and just relaxed.  Now, to fully qualify this, the wife was working in another state and I have no kids.  Kids would probably make me miss work...........
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:52:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:54:34 AM EDT
[#29]
I only get 36 hours vac but everyother weekend I get a 4 day weekend FSSM and days off during the week also and still get in 40-60 hours a week.hrs
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 12:01:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Towards the end of my career, I had 6 weeks vacation each year.  Since I knew I was retiring, I accumulated 15 weeks my last two years and sold them when I left.

Talk about a nice check!
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 12:04:04 PM EDT
[#31]
I am trying to figure out how to use my remainging 8 days before the end of the year.  I get two weeks a year, and I am not allowed to roll them over.  I am so entrenched in my current project I don't know what to do.  Not to mention I don't really have anywhere I want to go or anything I want to do.  It'll just wind up costing money.  I'll probably wind up going home for a week at Xmas.  At least I can hopefully get some new ink then.  Assuming of course that I don't wind up killing my family after being exposed to them for a week.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 12:04:52 PM EDT
[#32]
On your death bed you are not going to say...

"I wish I would have spent more time at work"

GM
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 12:40:31 PM EDT
[#33]
You can only sell back a total of 60 days leave for your entire career.
And, you can only sell it back when you are within 30 days of re-enlisting, for officers it's within 30 days of accepting orders or whatever you guys call it.
You can bank up 90 + days of leave on the books if you are in a combat zone.

I sold back 20 days of leave at 14 years, when I retired I took 60 days leave and I sold back 40.
I lost 5.5 days of leave one year when I had more than 60 days on the books.
I made it up by taking 2 days off for every day I lost of leave.

27 days of lost leave, man, that sucks!

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can't sell your leave any longer???

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 4:36:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Vacation? Is that the time off work thing that you are SUPPOSED to get EVERY YEAR? If so, I haven't had one in 3 years.

AB
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 4:38:38 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

... I miss work

Seek professional help.  I took three months off.  I was between jobs and not looking very hard for another one.  I DID NOT MISS WORK.  I don't know how people get that way, especially retirees who go back to work because they 'miss it'.  I enjoyed my time off and I almost didn't take a job when offered.  I bet some folks work their entire lives without ever taking QUALITY time off.  This is where there is no schedule, no clock, no agenda, and you make your daily plans after coffee and breakfast.  I made furniture, cleaned up the ranch, cleaned all my guns, caught up on the reloading, and just relaxed.  Now, to fully qualify this, the wife was working in another state and I have no kids.  Kids would probably make me miss work...........

It's called enjoying your work.  While I know it's a foreign concept to 99% of Americans, it is possible.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 4:46:02 PM EDT
[#36]
I have been on permanent vacation since 1995....

MT
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:31:18 PM EDT
[#37]
... Thank goodness, down to two more days!
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:39:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Im with you on that, I dont have anywhere to go so Im just bored if I take them
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top