Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2001 3:20:36 PM EDT
I'm currently in the market for a safe and can't imagine what useful purpose there is in an electronic lock. Power goes out and you can't access your firearms...What am I missing???

Narrowing down to Fort Knox, Cannon , Amsec.

I'm open to all suggestions and explanations.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 3:25:58 PM EDT
[#1]
    I ordered my AMSEC 5422 with a key pad-type lock with "LG" as the logo (sorry, all the paperwork is buried downstairs).  It's powered by one each 9 volt battery.   The only cord  going into the safe is for the dri-rod.    
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 3:37:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
    I ordered my AMSEC 5422 with a key pad-type lock with "LG" as the logo (sorry, all the paperwork is buried downstairs).  It's powered by one each 9 volt battery.   The only cord  going into the safe is for the dri-rod.    
View Quote

Thanks for the reply.

So the key pad's battery is located on the front or behind the door ???

Sorry for uneducated questions...I've not personally or should I say physically seen said products. Just brochures and websites.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 3:55:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Battery is located IN the module on the [u]outside[/u] of the door.

Easy and reliable.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 4:05:21 PM EDT
[#4]
  (sound of Sigmund panting after moving several boxes and bringing some files upstairs...)

The safe is an AMSEC VCF-5422 Teton, 54x22x18" with 14 ga body and weighs about 375.  It has adjustable shelves and can supposedly handle 14 guns, but IMO that would be a tight squeeze.  There's plenty of room for my two rifles, two handguns, and some ammo.   And valuable papers (that keeps my wife happy).   Cost me about $900 (shipping can be steep) and I'm sure you could get it for less now.  

Oh, yeah, the LOCK.   It's a LaGard 3082 with the battery outside the door under the pad.  I got it June of 00 and the battery is still good.  There may be battery powered locks with a lit key pad;  This does not glow.  

http://www.lagard.com/main.htm

I bought the safe from a guy (Kermit of SwiftSafes) in the state of Washington.  He did fine, but in retrospect I should have bought it from a local dealer, even if it cost a few dollar more.  

Send a note to me off line and I can reply with a few photos of the safe.  I've yet to figure out how to post them on this forum.      
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 4:09:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I have Heritage Safe with an electronic lock. It is much quicker and easier than a regular spin dial. The only drawback is that it makes a beep everytime you push the buttons. Other than that, it works great and has dual batteries in the module, outside the door.

PS- On an unrelated note,get the biggest one you can afford because they fill-up FAST.

Mike
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 4:11:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I just bought gun safe.  The safe is sold under the Winchester name at Sam’s. It is constructed of 10-gauge steel and has a fire rating of 1,200° F for 32 minutes. It has a side-door locking system with two independent relockers and a full-length dead locking bar on the hinged side of the door. External hinges allow a full 180° door opening and a locking combination lock and five-spoke vault handle.

Dimensions: 60"H x 30"W x 24"D.
Weight: 660 lbs.
Color: Green.
Max rifle capacity: 22

Thy sell for around $800 - $900. Cabela’s sells the same safe for $1,300 and the closes Liberty safe is around $1,150.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 4:14:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guy's for the info.

It now makes sense...Still deciding on lock style,but I feel informed. Thanks again!!!

P.S. SIGmund, You can thank ME for your exercise [;D]
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 4:19:41 PM EDT
[#8]
As a side note to halo2's PS...I totally agree.

[:D]
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 4:21:12 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought a Fort Knox last Oct with a electronic lock. I like it.It's a lot quicker to open compared to the dial locks.

later,
    hawkin
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 4:38:23 PM EDT
[#10]
One last question???

Did you guy's purchase locally or mail order???

Except for QCMGR, which I understand bought from Sams Club. We are also members and I have considered possibly that route!!!

BTW :GO Diamondbacks !!!

World Series Baseball is good right now!!!
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 4:47:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
One last question???

Except for QCMGR, which I understand bought from Sams Club. We are also members and I have considered possibly that route!!!
View Quote

M1A-A1,

I bought locally (in Indy) and have an electronic lock on it.  Knowing that in a hurry I would not be able to operate a combo.  If you would like to take a look at mine and see how it works, you are more than welcome.

BTW :GO Diamondbacks !!!

World Series Baseball is good right now!!!
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 4:53:31 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a couple of Cannons, one is a dail and the other keypad. Battery is easily replaceable and warns you when it`s dying. No problems and much faster in the dark and light of day.
I would suggest buying anyone else but Cannon.
AND MOST ImPORTANTLY, buy a bigger one than you think you can get by with.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 4:56:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks Matt_S

I just may have too!!!
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 4:57:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have a couple of Cannons, one is a dail and the other keypad. Battery is easily replaceable and warns you when it`s dying. No problems and much faster in the dark and light of day.
I would suggest buying anyone else but Cannon.
AND MOST ImPORTANTLY, buy a bigger one than you think you can get by with.
View Quote

I feel that Cannon has the best warranty. Your feelings???
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 5:12:28 PM EDT
[#15]
If you get a Fort Knox safe, check out the reinforced fire door option.  I like it on my FK safe (it increased the fire rating and really beefs up the door, check their website, cost me $159 extra). It's true that you fill these things up fast and you will need more space soon. You don't buy safes to often so think big to fill your needs for a longer time.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 5:31:00 PM EDT
[#16]
M1A1's last last question was:  

I bought mail order, but looking back I should have gone to a local dealer.   My first safe got horribly banged up in transit, and Kermit got me a replacement pronto.  Trouble is I had to make a bunch of phone calls, send photos, wait for TWO more trucks, etc.  Had I bought from a local dealer, he would have handled all that paperwork.  

I recommend physically looking at a lot of safes before you buy.  Whether this is at gun shows, local dealers, or at a pal's house, take a look at what's out there.   Once you decide what you want, you might get a better price thru the mail, but IMO nothing can substitute for dealing with a local merchant face to face.    

And ditto on what everyone else has said:  Key pads are much easier to use than dial locks, and buy a safe for what you'll need a few years down the road, not today.  Them guns multiply in the dark!  
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 5:39:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 6:12:05 PM EDT
[#18]
What is wrong with a Cannon?  The only thing wrong with mine is that it is too small at 72" x 40".
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 6:31:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Try FT. KNOX:
[url]http://www.ftknox.com/[/url]

The Home Page is supposed to have a picture, but, it doesn't show up for me, so, if I can't see it, it truly is "secure".

I just wrote to inform them of the "no picture" problem I am having with their site.
I don't have any problem with their products, however.

I have the option of having the safe moved once, within 50 miles of where it was delivered, when I move.  A good sales point, and definetly one I will go for, if applicable when the time comes.

Good shopping.

Link Posted: 10/21/2001 6:52:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Mail order....

My postal service person has a fit leaving a package at my door ... can you imagine him hauling a safe up to the door...?

Ted...(I bought mine locally ... a Browning... made here in Utah...)
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 10:37:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
M1A1's last last question was:  

I bought mail order, but looking back I should have gone to a local dealer.   My first safe got horribly banged up in transit, and Kermit got me a replacement pronto.  Trouble is I had to make a bunch of phone calls, send photos, wait for TWO more trucks, etc.  Had I bought from a local dealer, he would have handled all that paperwork.  

I recommend physically looking at a lot of safes before you buy.  Whether this is at gun shows, local dealers, or at a pal's house, take a look at what's out there.   Once you decide what you want, you might get a better price thru the mail, but IMO nothing can substitute for dealing with a local merchant face to face.    

And ditto on what everyone else has said:  Key pads are much easier to use than dial locks, and buy a safe for what you'll need a few years down the road, not today.  Them guns multiply in the dark!  
View Quote

Got my safe from Sun Welding, a company in SoCal.  When it arrived it had a few deep scratches in the paint.  Couple calls and we got the cost of our shipping returned.  The company was very cool about it.  Saved four hundred bucks for a couple of scratches.  Not bad in my book.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top