Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2005 5:09:51 AM EDT
... Architects, Builders, Contractors and Investors

... The last two mountain homes I built were fabricated primarily from Douglas Fir and Pine woods. Doing a trade-off, there are negative aspects using these for framing and decking. They're susceptible to termites, fire hazards, constantly battling weather and costs rising high enough to seriously begin looking at other low-cost alternatives.

... Someone out there has to be leading the industry in new home-building technologies affordable to the middle guy.

... Who out there is on the leading edge of composites or other alternative building techniques and concepts? I need to get out of the dark ages for my next mountain home. Your help is appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:31:10 AM EDT
[#1]
For deck material(s), I would suggest Trex.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:42:57 AM EDT
[#2]
All the houses I have ever built have been out of sod or snow. I would suggest those for a cost effective home.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:55:33 AM EDT
[#3]
For longevity, Ice Block is supposed to be the best.  Me?  Building a house out of concrete-reinforced styrofoam concocted in NV is unsettling.  

Cost-wise?  Expensive, unless you take into account the supposed life span, in which case it is hands down the most economical material around.  Also, see below.  

DIY?  Yes, very easily (labor costs are drastically reduced).  The cost savings in labor alone are SUPPOSED to be worth it, but with no experience sans the electrical, I cannot comment.  They interlock like panels with tounge and groove application.  

Upgrading?  Forget about it.  Once it is built, changes are incredibly complex, expensive, and time-consuming.  Aside from that, inspectors have no idea here in AZ what they are even looking at, as it is a commercial product that is only recently found a niche in the residential field.

Now, regardless of what material you use, call me when building.  I'll wire it for you for 1/10th of what it would cost, and you supply the beer.  Call it professional courtesy between AZ guys who know how to act in the AZHTF.  You buy the beer, the lunch, and the material, and I'll wire it for the cost of gas to get there and a chance to run a mag through your gunz.  

And yes...  I am covered under an electrical license and have 14+ years in the trade.  Matter of fact, I probably know your inspector.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top