Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2001 3:05:10 PM EDT
... for your perusal:

(1) World Series (about as American as you can get)
(2) Speculation that GWB or other highly notable will throw out the first pitch.
(3) Duralube 500 (expecting 100,000 attendees)
(4) Defense Contactors (peppered all over the Valley)

... throw in:  
... two groups of Middle Eastern-looking men were seen there with "heavy, identical orange backpacks."
View Quote

... and the rest you can imagine.

Looky here:
[url]http://www.arizonarepublic.com:80/arizona/articles/1024squawpeak24.html[/url]

... then read what the Freepers are saying here:
[url]http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/fr/556034/posts[/url]

... I bet you didn't see that coming!
[size=3][b][red]I think I'll watch there series from my basement Saturday![/size=3][/b][/red]
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 3:16:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Thats OK, I'll be watching from a little over a hundred miles anyway !!! CUZ, I couldnt get any tickets CUZ, the damn scalpers got em all by paying the homeless to stand in line and bought em all up !! It just sucks that the regular fans and their families who regularly went to games throughout the season and supported the team, can't get tickets to see the biggest game of their teams (short) history !!
[pissed] [pissed] [pissed]
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 3:23:45 PM EDT
[#2]
... yeah [b]SPECTRE[/b], but NUKING us!

... come on, isn't there anyone you care about in Phoenix if not even good Americans?
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 3:24:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Thats a little spooky. I wonder how far a nuke that size could reach?
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 3:29:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Thats a little spooky. I wonder how far a nuke that size could reach?
View Quote

... If 1KT detonated on top of Squaw Peak it would most likely kill every soul in BOB.

... and ruin everyones day at PIR
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 3:30:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
... yeah [b]SPECTRE[/b], but NUKING us!

... come on, isn't there anyone you care about in Phoenix if not even good Americans?
View Quote

Sorry if I came across as insensitive, I was only refering to the baseball aspect of this.
As to the threat of a nuke going off in the metro area, I have many friends and many family members in that general area and all of the family have been alerted and will probably be down here for the weekend. those that can anyway.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 3:35:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 3:36:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I was wondering how easy it would be to fire a stinger or like weapon at a plane as it flew right over BOB
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 3:39:22 PM EDT
[#8]
FYI:

BOB = Bank One Ballpark, home of the D-backs
PIR = Phoenix Int'l Raceway

-kill-9
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 3:44:45 PM EDT
[#9]
omfg...  I guess it's a good thing I'm getting the heck outta here tomorrow afternoon.

Currently in Tucson doing consulting work for a defense contractor.

[;)]

- CD
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 5:49:10 PM EDT
[#10]
... and now this?

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/0,,2001350025-2001372097,00.html

... A lot of things adding up!

... Sure hope it's just my tin foil hat wearing through a bit though.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 8:20:19 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm loading up a couple of mags, just in case. I did notice that there were Blackhawks patrolling the CAP canal yesterday. I live in east Mesa and get to see all that cool stuff, saw an unmarked Huey flying at 200 ft. last friday, over usery pass park while riding my Mtn. Bike. I don't think we're the only ones a little worried about those psychos! Spectre, I agree about those tickets, what a crock! Did you see that the DB's would sell you tickets to the World Series, if you bought $750.00 season tickets for next year?
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 8:25:01 PM EDT
[#12]
They need to wait and take out the Cardinal's stadium just after it's built.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 8:51:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Lotboy, it's never gonna get built! Those idiots keep suing each other over the legality of the stadium, and it's location. I wouldn't be surprised if the damn thing ended up in Flagstaff or somewhere odd like that.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 9:43:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
They need to wait and take out the Cardinal's stadium just after it's built.
View Quote

... they need to wait and take out the Cardinals... PERIOD (hehehe)

... jus' kidding, this really is a serious concern for us the live in the Valley!
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 10:00:53 PM EDT
[#15]
I am sure the govt has it under control. [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 10:14:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 10:24:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Suitcase nukes would be impractical, if they do anything, it will probably be biological.

From what I have read and heard, portable nukes or any nuclear device can be detected by satellites.

Any given area will have a typical radioactive
signature, when something shows up nontypical then they check it out.

The question we should be asking, is why would these individuals be hiking around in one of the most popular hikng areas in the valley, chanting
in an arabic language.

Sounds like psywar to me.

Waterdog
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 6:36:25 AM EDT
[#18]
The one kiloton to five kiloton, non- airbursting weapon is less then 1 mile of TOTAl destruction.  The 18KT of Hiroshima/Nagasacki was an airburst and the area of Total Destruction was right at or a little larger then 1 Mile.  Use that as a comparison.  I don't know if the ratio of KiloTonnage/Damage area is linear or not?? But if you still also add in the area of Heavy Damage,Medium Damage,Light Damage, it could go up to two miles.

Ben

Link Posted: 10/26/2001 7:50:13 AM EDT
[#19]
... does anyone have info on the FBI / INS arrest yesterday at Sky Harbor regarding one of the original 19 suspects?

Only read a bit before the Freeper mods censured it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 8:17:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Perhaps there are other effects from the detonation of a small nuclear device that would contribute to the result a terrorist group is looking for.

Things like Radiation and EMP

Get enough people attempting to leave the "scene" without communications capability for the emergency services (police, fire, emt) and it could be a fairly bad scene.
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 3:01:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
...Get enough people attempting to leave the "scene" without communications capability for the emergency services (police, fire, emt) and it could be a fairly bad scene.
View Quote

... no doubt, it's bad enough leaving "downtown" after a game without a calamity!
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 7:44:19 PM EDT
[#22]
When I was a kid and my father talked about nuclear war he would say that we had nothing to worry about.  We are 7 miles as the crow flies from Tinker AirForce Base. I asked him how that could be, he said we would all be dead.  I didn't like the answer for sure, but it is a true one.  1 to 5 kilotons may not have the desired effects destructively if place on a mountain.  If it is in a valley anywhere on the mountain the destructive forces would be muted somewhat even further. But all this is for not until it happens. Lets all just pray that it doesn't.

Ben
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 8:11:32 PM EDT
[#23]
The Dbacks will be up! I'll be reeeealy pissed if some punk messes that up!
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 8:34:02 PM EDT
[#24]
I refuse to fear.No gas mask. No thought given to it.Maybe I'm like the Polish cavalry general that was interviewed on film two weeks before the Nazi invasion that said defiantly "Those are cardboard boxes painted to look like tanks that you see across the border. The Germans are trying to scare us!" (His unit was massacred).Phoenix is too large for any small nuclear device to cause enough damage to be worthwhile. Denser areas are better targets. The flat surface of the city table helps a blast travel, but the assumption is that any terrorist device would be small.Palo Verde is big! Phoenix has at best a breeze. A hit on PV with a huge release of radiation would kill everybody eventually.Love you all! I'm going to die with a WTF hit me look on my face. "He never knew what hit him!" Yes he did! He just couldn't do anything about it!" Seriously. The game should be good.Nascar sucks.
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 8:48:26 PM EDT
[#25]
... Oh great, now this!

[url]http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/fr/557637/posts[/url]
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 9:02:36 PM EDT
[#26]
grimshaw, the point behind a terr attack is to instill fear. To that end the terrs do not need to vaporize an entire city. All they would need do is target the ball field and/or race track and the rest of us would know they are capable of defeating our security, especially with small nukes. And that will instill fear. Objective fullfilled.

I admire your courage and attitude. I, too don't think something like this will come about. And hope that Monday morn we will all still be here.
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 9:47:23 AM EDT
[#27]
... Top FBI and CIA officials believe that the anthrax attacks on Washington, New York and Florida are likely the work of one or more extremists in the United States ...

... Senior officials also are increasingly concerned that the bioterrorism is diverting public attention from the larger threat posed by bin Laden and his network, who are believed to be planning a [u]second wave of attacks against U.S.[/u] interests here or abroad that could come at any time, officials said.
View Quote

... I know we've all heard this in the past 6 weeks, but I'm having a horrible feeling about today and here!

[url]http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A59509-2001Oct26.html[/url]

Link Posted: 10/27/2001 10:25:51 AM EDT
[#28]
 Honey? Have you seen the SPF 2000 sunblock?
[8D]
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 2:10:26 PM EDT
[#29]
... tea mine us won our-30 minutes and counting ...
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 7:53:12 PM EDT
[#30]
... no one is happier than me to delete this post!

(TOMARROW IS ANOTHER DAY)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top