Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/21/2005 5:02:45 AM EDT
... I see this theme surface frequently from members here - "Oh, the good old days, didn't have a worry in the world"

... As a youngster, I used to worry about my future

... Nowadays, I don't seem to worry about much, if anything at all

... You?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:15:06 AM EDT
[#1]
I have OCD.  As such, the littlest things pick at my feeble mind all the time.

I have to 'chirp' the car 3-4 times before I think it's lock... sometimes having to check the doors afterwards.

*sigh*
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:19:19 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I have OCD.  As such, the littlest things pick at my feeble mind all the time.

I have to 'chirp' the car 3-4 times before I think it's lock... sometimes having to check the doors afterwards.

*sigh*

I always worry about not screwing the gas cap back on the car, and have to pull over and check just to make sure I did.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:31:17 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't know if I call it worrying, but I just have backup plans for everything.  Think the boy scouts taught me that one.  It never hurts to be prepared.  Also, I tend to be proactive with confirming things, ie appointments, just to make sure everyone is on the same page.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:40:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't worry about much if anything. I change the things that I can. I work around the things I can't.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:41:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Worry Wart checking in!  w00t!
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:49:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Worry all the time, always have.  Just can't slow the brain down.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:02:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:41:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, guilty as charged. I sweat the bills living paycheck to paycheck while the wife often spends frivolously and occasionally puts us in the red forcing me to decide which bills to pay and which ones to put off all in the persuit to get caught up. It's like a never ending rat race. I spend alot of time trying to figure out how to make more money just to keep the bills paid on time and maybe, maybe, one of these years actually take a vacation, go camping or something to get away. I've two sons in the California Army Guard who will most likely be heading off to Iraq eventually, I think about that alot, they are 24 and 17. So, yeah, I worry there too. I'd love to be the type that doesn't worry, but, I'm not.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:51:21 AM EDT
[#9]
I stress about EVERYTHING.  Sometimes to the point that I get sick to my stomach.

Can't help it.  I also find it REALLY hard to relax.  Sometimes I'll just be sitting on the couch, and all of a sudden realize all my muscles are clenched.  I have to mentally and physically unclench them.  (I'm talking arms, legs, shoulders...don't be gross, guys).

I just can't help it.  I try to overcome it, but it's just my nature.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:36:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Actually, it is spelled "wort".
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:40:58 AM EDT
[#11]
My goal in life is not caring anymore. I'm still far from it
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:42:46 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Actually, it is spelled "wort".

Well, no...

Dictionary.com entry

2 entries found for worrywart.
wor·ry·wart   Audio pronunciation of "worrywart" ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (wûr-wôrt, wr-)
n.

One who worries excessively and needlessly.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:45:10 AM EDT
[#13]
I don't get paid nearly enough to worry.  I don't worry and never have.  Things that are in my control, I will take care of, things out of my control don't concern me.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:45:27 AM EDT
[#14]
To quote my older sister

"Scott worries about everybody" so yeah, I guess I am the worrywart (wort)
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:45:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Everything is wrong, until proven right, several times.
Anything that could go wrong already has, but I haven't found out about it yet.
Trust but verify, screw it, don't trust anything.

Bob
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:48:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Stress will kill me one day.  Definitely a worry wort.  Patty
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:49:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Here's a hintsky: I was the only 7th grader I know of that had crude bugout maps drawn up to avoid nuclear fallout as well as a rudimentary (though laughable now) BOB...
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:47:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Definitely NOT a worry wart here.  As I get older, I'm more interested in preparedness, but I have a perpetual attitude of "think ahead, but deal with things when they happen"  I'm also blessed with the ability to shut out 99.5% of my work troubles when I leave at the end of the day.

My wife's parents, on the other hand, are perpetually impaired by worry -- and sometimes paralyzed by it.  It drives me up the wall because they try to impose their phantom worries on me and my family and they cast a gloom over all of us.  On the other hand, I am able to find sympathy for them because I recognize that it's at least partly biological in their case (though upbringing plays a HUGE role).  My brother-in-law, who is a really terriffic guy, is also affected by it, but he consciously works on it and has obtained some professional help.  His wife is more like me, so he is in a good situation to deal with it.

It seems that many of the things people worry about are not as destructive as the worry itself; usually because the events they fear are unlikely to cause a significant problem in reality.

It's a real shame to see people unable to enjoy life and to find pleasure because they are paralyzed with fear of nonexistent things or unlikely events.  Worry is such a waste of life and a drain on your health and emotional strength.

Even when I go through phases of hating my situation or uncertainty about my job, I can still find plenty of things that make me happy and still allow myself to relax.  I have to directly thank God for this undeserved gift.  I wish I could easily bestow the gift on others, but I really believe that it's a peace that you can't get from the world or from other people.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:09:37 AM EDT
[#19]
What is this thing called, "Relax?"

Seriously...I am a mom...comes with the territory. I worry about EVERYTHING. Sometimes I will replay old scenarios in my head over and over torturing myself with "what I shoulda done or said."
I stress to the point where I've had to have 2 lower molars replaced with caps because I'd cracked the teeth by clenching my jaw shut while I sleep. I awake every morning with a headache...sucks...And I DO try to relax and not let things get to me...but I fail miserably in that.

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:09:04 PM EDT
[#20]
... Is this a genetic, learned or situational affliction?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:12:45 PM EDT
[#21]
I don't worry about much political stuff anymore like what Cindy Sheehan has to say, crap like that.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:26:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Another member of the OCD club. So ya, worry too much.

But then, when you've got alot going on, you've got alot to worry about.......
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:29:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:44:40 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I stress about EVERYTHING.  Sometimes to the point that I get sick to my stomach.

Can't help it.  I also find it REALLY hard to relax.  Sometimes I'll just be sitting on the couch, and all of a sudden realize all my muscles are clenched.  I have to mentally and physically unclench them.  (I'm talking arms, legs, shoulders...don't be gross, guys).

I just can't help it.  I try to overcome it, but it's just my nature.

Me, too.  I don't physically deal with stress very well, and now I've started having panic attacks from the stress and crap going on in my life.

Yea me.

Wow, that's horrible.  I hope things settle down for you soon.  You don't deserve that!  Patty
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:49:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Somewhat, Ill find myself with tensed hands and a grim look on my face thinking hard about things.  I can relax from that, but I have to pack things with my own hands for trips n such, as I have a hard time just trusting other people.  Then Ill double check myself... I can't help it.

I would believe its learned, either from trying to please people (not being the one that ALWAYS forgets things etc etc) but I can see why parenting stresses would be more of an inate behavior...

Both perhaps?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:49:25 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm like Peter in Office Space....Fucking A!

You know Bob is not that I'm lazy, its just that I don't care

Seriously what is there to worry about?  The sun will rise tomorrow, I will wake up and go about my day.  There is no point in worrying about the things you can not control.  You can't do shit about them, so why waste the energy stressing over it?

The things you CAN control you wouldn't have to worry about it if you fucking took care of the shit that needed doing!  Take care of your responsibilities and then you have nothing personal to worry about.  

And in reality that is 99% of peoples worrying right there.  Most people don't stress over an asteroid taking out the Earth, they stress about bills or school, and work.  Got news.  Don't spend what you don't have.  I don't care if you say but I can't get buy.  Bullshit, people get buy on 5 bucks an hour, you just don't WANT to get buy like that.  Suck it up or stop worrying about it.  School?  Well fucking read the chapter before class, take notes in lecture, do the homework and read the chapter and your notes before the test and I predict 99% of the time you will get an A.  Don't do the proper work and put in the effort then yes its hard.  Work?  Same thing.

Do your shit, be responsible and you will have no worries and be a happier person.

Pack a bowl (not that I do), poor a drink, fire up a cigar or whatever you do and pop in a war flick and fucking relax man.

Free your mind.  Stop caring and the world will be a better place.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top