Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2002 1:42:50 PM EDT
This came from one of our guys in Huntsville, [i]and yes, I'm still trying to get those photos declassified[/i].

Short synopsis of a conversation with a co-worker who's son graduated from FSU last June, went to Artillery Officer Basic, then assigned to the 101st and deployed to Afghanistan.
Don said Sam called them at 3:00 am this morning.  He was deployed into the fighting for a week and they didn't take any sleeping bags.  He also said they froze because their TA50/clothing equipment didn't include anything to keep them warm in those extreme temps.  He also got nauseated several times from the altitude and was treated for it.  Sam said the real eye opener started when the Chinooks picked them up and the 101st troops saw bullet holes in the aircraft.  The Chinook he was on starting taking rounds as they got close to the LZ (landing zone).As they were getting hit, the troops/kids in the back hit the floor.  The Chinook landed and the first guy to get off was hit.  Sam said it reminded him of the movie Private Ryan.  As soon as they got off they were hit pretty hard and then Sam said some Apaches flew in, stopped over top of them and started shooting up the bad guys with their 30mm cannons and flashet (nails) rockets.  He said he and a bunch of other guys were getting burned from the 30mm casings coming out of the aircraft. As you've seen on TV, the battle is over and they are OK. The only casualty they had, besides cold weather injuries was the first guy who was shot getting off the aircraft.  Sam said he's going to find the Apache guys and give them each a cigar.
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 2:39:19 PM EDT
[#1]
That sounded like what I saw on the very earliest footage from Anaconda. Infantry hiding in folds in the ground and the Apachies coming over at about 50 feet over the camera crew. But they would only show 30 sec at a time. So you never got to see the Apaches shoot.

This does sort of confirm my suspicions about how a Apache got a RPG in the windscreen- they were using them as tanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top