Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/11/2003 8:11:36 AM EDT
As near as I can determine, the same people that don't want me to have a gun in my house think the U.S. should leave Iraq alone and let them develope all the Bio\chemical weapons and nukes they want.

These same people think it is OK for N. Korea to have nukes. They also don't want The US to chase those poor terrorists around just because they want to kill a few U.S. citizens.

So, my question is: why are these people afraid for me to have a few rifles and pistols when they don't seem to be afraid of obviously unstable fanatics with high explosives, deadly poisons and nuclear weapons? Not to mention all the misfits running around loose with machine guns and hand grenades.

I just don't get it.
Link Posted: 1/11/2003 8:21:49 AM EDT
[#1]
My 0.02 FWIW...

Guns are something that lots of sheep THINK they know something about.  They see the BS that is spread about guns and those that have guns on TV, in movies and the press every single day.

WMD's are so far beyond most peoples comprehension that they really have no clue as to the destruction that can be wrought with them.

Also there's the NIMBY (Not In My Back Yard) factor.  The guy next door may be a nut-job with an evil assault rifle that shoots cop killer bullets 2 miles through armor and doubles as AAA to take out airliners at 35,000 feet.  THAT’S A THREAT THEY THINK IS REAL.  The idea of Iraq or the DPRK with NBC weapons is threat that's too abstract for them to comprehend.  And besides, they're "way over there.  It won't effect my TV viewing and beer drinking and driving my SUV".

Whew.... sorry for the rant.  Guess I just discovered a hot button that got pushed.  [:D]

[i]edited because, once again I didn't pay attention to the spell checker[/i]
Link Posted: 1/11/2003 8:58:33 AM EDT
[#2]
That about sums it up AirWolf.  

I guess the world hasn't changed much.  Some citizens want to have an "isolationist" mentality.  But when all heck breaks out, who do they call?????
Link Posted: 1/11/2003 12:11:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Because guns are evil....that's what the paper says,so it must be true.
Link Posted: 1/11/2003 12:23:22 PM EDT
[#4]
They see the BS that is spread about guns and those that have guns on TV, in movies and the press every single day.
View Quote

Because guns are evil....that's what the paper says,so it must be true.
View Quote

Ah, yes, the media. So all of these people were educated by Dan Rather and Peter Jennings?

That is really scary. I think I'll go buy some more ammo.
Link Posted: 1/11/2003 12:43:37 PM EDT
[#5]
The vast majority of Americans still get most of the information about the world from TV.  If it's on the tube it must be true, right?

If you couple that with short attention spans and the tragic lack of logic and critical thinking skills that are possessed by most of those around us you DO get people who are "educated" by ABC, CBS, NBC & CNN.

I think I'm safe in saying that most of us here don't come close to being that way.  I for one hardly ever watch TV news.  98% of my view of the world comes from mutiple Internet sources.  I have the ability to reason and analyze that information and draw my own conclusions, not simply nod my head at the TV and blindly accecpt the crap that pours forth from it as so many do.
Link Posted: 1/11/2003 1:22:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I agree wholeheartedly with the view expressed by Airwolf. There in lies the axiomatic problem, given the poor to non-existent logic and thinking skills amongst so very many in our society how then can it logical surprise any of us that the government feels it is needed to run our collective lives i.e. it takes a village concept/idea.
The apparent "requirement" for instant gratification in America has brought us to this precipice of acceptance of the nightly news's version of facts and events, ergo what and how to think. Gotta wonder if this was someone's grand plan considering public educations evident inability to teach our youth critical thinking skills for the past 30 years.

Not exactly tin foil paranoid time but it seems to fit so nicely that at the very least the resulting lack of education and ability to think on one's own is being taken full advantage of by the politician's and the Forth estate.

Sadly, who can blame them.

Mark
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top