Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/17/2005 10:42:20 AM EDT
Friend wants to sell me his HKP7 in 9mm. I'm not sure what to offer him for it. It's in very good to excellent condition. It was his dad's gun. His dad was a NJ state trooper, so it probably didn't get much use, but there may be some holster wear.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 10:45:44 AM EDT
[#1]
IM SteyrAug.
IIRC, he really likes those and has several.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 10:51:56 AM EDT
[#2]
What does it come with?

I picked up a LNIB P7M8 for $800, and that was low.

If it's just the gun, box, tools and 2 mags, offer him $800 for it.

LNIB guns can go for up to and above $1100.

HK has discontinued the P7 guns, so all it will do is go up in price.

BTW, I have 2 M8's and a PSP.

ETA: There are import guns coming on the market, both PSP style and M8 from Germany (usually a BMI). THey can be found for under $700 if you look hard, but they are NOT imported by HK.
My PSP is a PW Arms import.

Go to The Cult for the best info on prices and info on the P7 series of guns...

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 11:07:33 AM EDT
[#3]
It's just the gun, case and 2 mags.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 11:17:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Sandman,

A P7 or a P7M8?  There is a difference.

Which one are you considering?

CMOS
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 11:20:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Depending on the condition, $900-1100 is about what they are going for.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 11:35:19 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Sandman,

A P7 or a P7M8?  There is a difference.

Which one are you considering?

CMOS

If it's a NJST gun. it will be an M8.

I'd offer $800, and go from there.

If it was a duty gun. it probably does have a decent amount of holster wear, which will have an effect on price.
Does it have night sights?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 11:54:38 AM EDT
[#7]
It was a NJST gun. His dad was a trooper, I'm pretty sure he was killed in the line of duty too. That's why I'm surprised he wants to sell it, but money is tight he said. I havent seen the gun. I will ask him to bring it in tomorrow. He described it as very good condition. This guy is not a gun guy by any means, so I do need to see it first hand before buying.

Just curious was there something special about an M8 that made the NJSP want that model?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:09:29 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
It was a NJST gun. His dad was a trooper, I'm pretty sure he was killed in the line of duty too. That's why I'm surprised he wants to sell it, but money is tight he said. I havent seen the gun. I will ask him to bring it in tomorrow. He described it as very good condition. This guy is not a gun guy by any means, so I do need to see it first hand before buying.

Just curious was there something special about an M8 that made the NJSP want that model?

American mag release. Larger trigger guard, and a heat shield on the bottom of the frame.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:15:25 PM EDT
[#9]
2004 Standard has it (P7M8) at 800 for exc, 700 for very good.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:49:18 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
2004 Standard has it (P7M8) at 800 for exc, 700 for very good.

The 2004 Standard doesn't take into account the fact that the guns was discontinued in 2005!!
And it's an HK, so you can always get a little more out of it...
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:42:23 AM EDT
[#11]
He's trying to buy the gun, not sell it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:19:42 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
He's trying to buy the gun, not sell it.

That is why he needs to buy the gun NOW.

The used market is going up now, as it is......and even if he paid $900, it is still worth it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:24:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Anything under 800 bucks for a former NJSP gun is a STEAL. 800-1,000 is doing pretty good.

If I had the money, I would buy the thing. I always found the NJSP guns fascinating.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:06:09 AM EDT
[#14]
John_ Wayne,
What was so fascinating about a NJ State Police gun?

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:10:28 AM EDT
[#15]
give him $300 for it.

Thats what i'de do.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:10:56 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
John_ Wayne,
What was so fascinating about a NJ State Police gun?

They were issued the P7M8 pistols (and later the P7M13 pistols) when I lived there many moons ago. At the time I was just getting into guns and had no earthly idea what the heck those troopers were carrying. It looked like only the butt of a gun in those holsters they used to use.

Obviously my gun habit couldn't flourish in the commie state of NJ, but ever since I saw the NJSP with those pistols I have been fascinated by the P7 series guns. If you can document that you own a former NJSP P7M8, you have a truly rare piece.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:19:07 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

American mag release. Larger trigger guard, and a much needed heat shield on the bottom of the frame.

after a couple of mags in a brief period of time, the gas system tends to warm up just a bit

$800-1000 should be going rate, IIRC a new one from HK cost a little more than 1k

sounds like a great deal, they're a rare and very interesting pistol, that little squeeze-cocker saved a good many lives.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:24:20 AM EDT
[#18]
I explained what you guys all said and I offered him 800.00 sight unseen. He said he'll let me know.

Now I gotta convince my wife that this is an investment and not just another "on a whim" gun purchase
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:25:38 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

American mag release. Larger trigger guard, and a much needed heat shield on the bottom of the frame.

after a couple of mags in a brief period of time, the gas system tends to warm up just a bit

That is an understatement.

I have blistered my middle finger on the trgger guard of my M8. Of course I was shooting pretty rapidly, but it was less than 100 rounds!!

My PSP is worse, because it lacks a heat shield!!

BUT, they are damn accurate, and very easy to carry.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:28:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Wimps! All of ya I dont need no stinking heat shield. Sure, after 3 mag dumps the gun gets to about 200 degrees, and I burn the shit out of my middle finger. But still, it looks cooler without one
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:39:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Check to make sure the slide is not purple-colored; which would indicate its a refurbished pistol. I doubt it with a NJ trooper gun but you never know. Other than that, around here, 25-year old PSP's go for $850. P7M8's, used, go for about $1100-1200. NIB go from $1599.00. I sold mine to my brother used for $1200. He was thrilled to get it. To this day, he always has people ask him to shoot it at the range.

They are hands down the BEST CCW pistols in the world! They are flat, they are "to hell and back" reliable and it has a full-size 4" octagonal barrel....oh and they're accurate too!!!!  In addition, I cannot think of a safer pistol to carry CCW.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:38:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Not sure if this will tell you guys anything, but he wrote down everything that was on the barrel.

P7M8 8MM   HK Chantilly  "serial number"  IE VA

Heckler and Koch GMBH

Oberndorf/N Made in Germany

HK P7M8 on bottom of grips.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:41:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Depends.

If it's a P7M8 they sell for about $1,400 new.

If it's a P7 PSP surplus ones have been brought in and they seem to be selling for around $950 lately.

ETA: If it's a NJ trooper gun it is a P7M8 (unless it's a M13) and used ones in decent shape ae worth a $1,000+.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:45:24 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

There was a study done one year where all the incidents of duty weapons being taken from officers were NOT successfully fired at the officers.

Crack heads can't figure out P7s.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:48:44 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Not sure if this will tell you guys anything, but he wrote down everything that was on the barrel.

P7M8 8MM   HK Chantilly  "serial number"  IE VA

Heckler and Koch GMBH

Oberndorf/N Made in Germany

HK P7M8 on bottom of grips.

Genuine HK Import (not surplus).

1984 date code.

P7M8.

Buy it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:51:01 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

HK has discontinued the P7 guns, so all it will do is go up in price.

DOH!

Guess I know what is on my birthday "present to myself" list to purchase sometime this year...

Wish I got a P7 M13 when I had the chance back a few years ago, I'm a Ca. resident and didn't know what a gem the little guns were back then.    I wasted my money on an HK USP 45V1 and wound up hating that clunky boat anchor.     Only later did I find out what a sweet pointing awesome little gun the P7 is, great trigger too.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:34:49 AM EDT
[#27]
I saw the gun this morning. Damn does it feel good in my hand
For me, it qualifies as the safest gun with a round loaded I have ever seen. It would be impossible for this gun to go off accidentally. What an excellent design.

Did I mention how great it felt in my hand? It also points very natural for me anyways. I think I am in love fella's.  

Anyhow, the gun is mint. There is no holster wear, no scratches or dings, no purple colors or anything else that would lead you to think the gun is anything but brand new. I didn't want to take advanatge of him, I consider him a friend, so I offered him 1,000. for it rather than the 850 or 900 I was considering before seeing it.

Does 1,000 sound ok for this?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:39:26 AM EDT
[#28]
What I wouldn't do for an H&K P7M13 (doublestack) chamberd in .45 GAP.

SteyrAUG,

How much larger is the P7M13 than the P7M8?  And was thirteen rounds the greatest capacity that H&K could achieve?  How much more difficult (i.e., how much larger would the pistol have been) if the P7M13 had a 15/17 round capacity (possibly through an extended magazine)?

Thanks.

Justin
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:44:31 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

SteyrAUG,

How much larger is the P7M13 than the P7M8?  And was thirteen rounds the greatest capacity that H&K could achieve?  How much more difficult (i.e., how much larger would the pistol have been) if the P7M13 had a 15/17 round capacity (possibly through an extended magazine)?

Thanks.

Justin

It is quite a bit larger because the P7 is such a small gun to begin with. I really don't care for them too much. HK also made a M10 but the M13 is as large as they ever went as far as I know.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:45:23 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
For me, it qualifies as the safest gun with a round loaded I have ever seen. It would be impossible for this gun to go off accidentally. What an excellent design.

Did I mention how great it felt in my hand? It also points very natural for me anyways. I think I am in love fella's.  

Anyhow, the gun is mint. There is no holster wear, no scratches or dings, no purple colors or anything else that would lead you to think the gun is anything but brand new. I didn't want to take advanatge of him, I consider him a friend, so I offered him 1,000. for it rather than the 850 or 900 I was considering before seeing it.

$1,000 is fair for a friend.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:49:45 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SteyrAUG,

Thanks.

Justin

It is quite a bit larger because the P7 is such a small gun to begin with. I really don't care for them too much. HK also made a M10 but the M13 is as large as they ever went as far as I know.

OK.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:49:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Damnit, post pics already!!!

BTW, does it have the case with it? If so, is it matched to the gun?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:55:05 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

$1,000 is fair for a friend.

+1, what's an extra benny if you're helping out a friend
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:34:20 AM EDT
[#34]
The case did have numbers and names on the outside that matched all the numbers/names on the gun itself. So if that's what you mean by "matched" then yes the case matched.

The gun comes with 2 eight round mags and a bunch of cleaning tools that fit along the side of the case.

I'll post plenty of pics as soon as he sells me the damn thing

He said he would let me know after the weekend. I'm all but postive he will sell it to me. He needs some extra cash right now.

Hey one thing, for the life of me I couldn't find any button that released the slide after racking it back to a locked postion? Am I missing something?  
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:43:46 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
The case did have numbers and names on the outside that matched all the numbers/names on the gun itself. So if that's what you mean by "matched" then yes the case matched.

The gun comes with 2 eight round mags and a bunch of cleaning tools that fit along the side of the case.

I'll post plenty of pics as soon as he sells me the damn thing

He said he would let me know after the weekend. I'm all but postive he will sell it to me. He needs some extra cash right now.

Hey one thing, for the life of me I couldn't find any button that released the slide after racking it back to a locked postion? Am I missing something?  

Squeeze the grip just as you would if you were going to fire the weapon. That will drop the slide from slide-lock.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:54:14 AM EDT
[#36]

Squeeze the grip just as you would if you were going to fire the weapon. That will drop the slide from slide-lock.

Thank you!!
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:56:31 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Thank you!!

Makes for a nice manual of arms too.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:00:11 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

SteyrAUG,

Thanks.

Justin

The main difference is the width of the grip. On paper the difference between the P7M8 and P7M13 may not seem like much, but when one of each is in your hands you feel it.

H&K did briedly produce a .40S&W variant, but it was much bulkier than the P7M8, and it had to deal with the increased pressures of the .40 round.

The P7M8 is best left as a 9mm pistol, as I think it fits the niche there quite well.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:01:07 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Thank you!!

No problem.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:51:00 AM EDT
[#40]
Am I wrong in thinking this gun is thee ultimate concealed carry weapon? I know the "nothing smaller than a .45" crowd will disagree but seriously this is one perfectly designed weapon. I plan on selling my newly aquired Kahr PM9 to help offset the cost of the HK. The Kahr was my new carry gun but the HK will now take that honor.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:52:40 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Am I wrong in thinking this gun is thee ultimate concealed carry weapon? I know the "nothing smaller than a .45" crowd will disagree but seriously this is one perfectly designed weapon. I plan on selling my newly aquired Kahr PM9 to help offset the cost of the HK. The Kahr was my new carry gun but the HK will now take that honor.

The HK does conceal well in a decent holster. It is one of the most compact designs ever.

You will find it is a tad heavier than the PM9 and probably a touch harder to conceal than the PM9.

But it is still a superb pistol.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:03:46 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The HK does conceal well in a decent holster. It is one of the most compact designs ever.

You will find it is a tad heavier than the PM9 and probably a touch harder to conceal than the PM9.

Does the same go for the P7M13?

How does the P7M13 compare to other high capacity pistols (i.e., H&K P2000, etc...) as far as weight, height, and especially width.

Justin
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:06:02 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

How does the P7M13 compare to other high capacity pistols (i.e., H&K P2000, etc...) as far as weight, height, and especially width.

Justin

I would imagine that it does conceal well, though the extra width might make it a bit more difficult.

The P7 series of pistols have a normal height, but are shorter in length and are slimmer than many other pistols. They also tend to be a tad heavy.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:21:54 AM EDT
[#44]
That safety feature is well worth the added weight and inches though.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:47:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Sounds like a good deal.

A P7M8 is on my list of guns to eventually buy.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 2:32:11 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Justin

The P7M13 is heavier than something like the P2000, because it's an all steel gun.

The only plastic is the grip panels and the heat shield.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 2:35:32 PM EDT
[#47]
You can buy LNIB ones for around $750 to 1000.  New ones command around $1100 to 1200.  

I have seen some as low as $600 for a police trade in with the machine mark on the slide.

I bought mine for $800 and it was like new with only some wear on the sharp corners.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top