Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/7/2005 5:17:51 PM EDT
Today was my last day of work. Very sick of the whole medical profession. I am going to take some time off and decide where the next chapter of my life is going to take me but would prefer something besides medicine. Anyhow, I've decided to retire my handle as I will not have malpractice insurance and don't want to have to tell people I cannot help them when asked, nor do I want to expose myself legally for doing so.

Got alot of hugs from the nurses at work today. I think a few came back for second and third helpings. Doc's I worked with were a great group. Patient population was the worst I have ever workeed with and going downhill fast. As such, I'm totally burnt out on people. Don't even like going out for dinner anymore.

I will pick up another handle soon enough but will probably take a few days away from the site and life in general. I will still be around to straighten some of you out when you need it.

I may ressurrect drj one of these days, or if I decide to practice again. Not anytime soon.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:21:52 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:23:22 PM EDT
Slacker
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:25:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/7/2005 6:21:40 PM EDT by 4xys2xxs]

Congrats on 10,000 and some time off!
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:25:42 PM EDT
Good luck, and god speed.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:26:39 PM EDT
Congrats, doc. I mean that sincerely.

May the next part of your journey be an adventure.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:27:11 PM EDT

Originally Posted By drjarhead:
... population was the worst I have ever workeed with and going downhill fast. As such, I'm totally burnt out on people. Don't even like going out for dinner anymore.

I feel your pain brother.

God be with you in whatever direction he takes you.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:27:37 PM EDT
So are you going let us in on the new handle or are we going to have to guess? Sorry we are loosing the offical arfcom doc, but whatever makes you happy. Good luck in choosing your path in life.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:27:55 PM EDT
Good luck and best wishes.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:28:46 PM EDT
I hope that you find happiness in whatever you decide to do.

Thank you for the times you gave me good advise!

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:29:50 PM EDT
Wow, did you work at the county hospital or in some kind of slum?

Good luck with your future plans.

My wife's OB/GYN recently quite the field as well. She's not even 40 and just said the hell with it. She wanted to work part-time so she could spend time with her kids, but after insurance and overhead, she could not make any money without working 4-5 days a week. So, she just up and quit the field.

Seems like a waste of a good education.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:30:07 PM EDT

Ho hum, I'm going back to work tomorrow unless I get called in tonight. You'll have to let us know how normal people live.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:31:05 PM EDT

Originally Posted By mattja:

Good luck with your future plans.

My wife's OB/GYN recently quite the field as well. She's not even 40 and just said the hell with it. She wanted to work part-time so she could spend time with her kids, but after insurance and overhead, she could not make any money without working 4-5 days a week. So, she just up and quit the field.

Lawyers and politicians are killing the medical profession.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:31:20 PM EDT

From a poor grunt ambulance jockey... I feel your pain.

Enjoy your , but don't stay away too long, now!
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:34:15 PM EDT
Good luck Bro!
and Semper Fi
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:34:19 PM EDT
I admire you for having the guts to make such a big change in your life.

I will be praying for you.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:50:24 PM EDT
*shakes head*

Man, it's a crying shame to give up on such a profession after you've spent so much time, money, blood, sweat, and tears developing your skills and education.

Maybe you were just working at a level in the medical profession that you didn't care for? Perhaps a change to the 'country doctor' routine would be something good?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:01:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/7/2005 6:02:40 PM EDT by C-4]

Not that medicine doesn't have enough problems, but the fact that there are so many women coming into the profession is going to make for a big problem in the future (I predict).

Don't get me wrong. I don't have a chauvanistic bone in my body (my sister is a dermatologist). But there is an assumption that a physician will work for a certain period of time. If they finish their training between the ages of 31-35 lets say, then they will usually work for another 35+ years and frequently longer. There has been a big push to accept qualified women in medicine for the last 15+ years. Most graduating classes are comprised of 50% women and some even more. A significantly greater percentage of female physicians work part-time compared to male physicians. They also quit the profession at a much higher rate to raise a family, they're married and can survive on one income, etc. This will be one more reason why there will be a shortage of physicians.

ETA: Sorry drjarhead for the hi-jack.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:04:03 PM EDT
good luck in whatever you decide to do.

have you considered law school, and go after the medical professionals that need going after??
you could change your screen name to drshyster
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:04:19 PM EDT

Not at all but we were the only ones in town who give out free care and it everyone else just started telling them to come to us. The city I work in has for a variety of reasons attracted a real scummy group. Other than that though, is just a lot of white trash. Unfortunately, it is all of it. Used to be an awesome place. We also, thanks to dumbass administration lost alot of our paying customers to contractual agreements with our competition. After they realized they dropped the ball-God forbid they should listen to the docs-they cut a contract with Medical Assistance and this is now over half of our patient population.

The scum level is 30-50% most days. Rude, fucking obnoxious, don't want to work, trying to scam the fricking system, need a few days off and some pain meds to go with it while you're at it, and on and on. Some people just come in apparently to tell some one off, in borderline personality fashion, because no one else will listen to their bullshit and I am stuck in a room with them. Besides, they're paying for the privilege.

Sounds like she did what was right for her. And her kids. And you, believe it or not.

Education and knowledge are never wasted. Never.

I was glad to help those of you I did and could. Seriously. It was an honor.

You will have to figure out who I am. Will probably not last long, I am not very decietful. Always been honest to a fault. I'd like for it to take a while though.

Originally Posted By Old_Painless:
I admire you for having the guts to make such a big change in your life.

I will be praying for you.

Of that I am glad to hear.

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:05:17 PM EDT
All the best in your future endeavors.

If you ever get to Texas.....ALL the beer and steaks are proudly on me.

But I may need a scrip.........you know for that back pain, or is it my knee. I can never remember.

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:05:41 PM EDT

Originally Posted By napalm:
*shakes head*

Man, it's a crying shame to give up on such a profession after you've spent so much time, money, blood, sweat, and tears developing your skills and education.

Maybe you were just working at a level in the medical profession that you didn't care for? Perhaps a change to the 'country doctor' routine would be something good?

Uhhhh......drj IS a country doctor! That's where the term "trailer trash" comes into play.......
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:07:03 PM EDT
Congrats on your decision. I'm sure you will find a new passion to pursue.....even if it's just training, swimming, walking the dog, and shooting birds!
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:11:14 PM EDT
And dont forget to come down and shoot with us when you can.

Best of luck to ya DrJ and let us know how things turn out so we can give you a hard time about things
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:13:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/7/2005 6:15:10 PM EDT by inferno715]
I got this pain you see, I'm not sure where it is..but it's real..and I need some time off work you know, to deal with the pain..and I think I need some meds, probably morphine cuz the pain is so bad you know...
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:14:00 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:16:45 PM EDT
You're about at the right age to try to do something different (or resign yourself to going on glide path til retirement) - guessing that you won't be living out of a '68 Valiant & dining on Mac & Cheese, so might be worth doing that education thing for a spell, might be structured, might be self-taught. My guess is that your profession is in your blood, like it or not, so perhaps something complimentary to the field (without having to deal with the day to day BS) might be worth a gander. There are certainly unsolved problems you have run across over the years, things that nobody ever took the time to address, perhaps you are the person to do that. Might be writing a book for people (on what needs a trip to the Dr's & what doesn't) might be inventing a gizmo to do something that was always a pain in the butt (no procto jokes, thank you very much) - I've been wandering into your field (medicine, albeit as a tyro) for personal development and professional experience (designing medical stuff is easier when you know who is using it & how it is being used), maybe it's time to take a break for some cross-functional training.

On the other hand, you could probably put together a fair business gearing up for the H5N1 pandemic (might be 1918, might be swine flu, who knows?) - apply some practical knowledge, put together a few kits, post some alarmist messages all over the internet (CHINESE CHICKENS ARE GOING TO DO US IN AIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE) and next thing ya know you're knee-deep in hookers & cash...

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:17:34 PM EDT
I wish you all the best in your next endeavor.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:17:59 PM EDT
Good luck, Doc, whatever you wind up doing.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:19:37 PM EDT
I know you are going to do what you feel you have to,but I would ask you(why change your name here?).

We know you as such and once a marine,Doctor,ect allways one(practicing or not)!

If we like you and accept you as drjarhead what the hell dude!!!!

What if Drwooden-shoes decided to change his user name because he just got married??

You see where I'm going with this?

Anyway I got burn't out once(took a 4 year lay-off)and am back now!!!

Best of luck Bro!!!

Bob
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:21:31 PM EDT
Before you go....can you fill out a few Rx's for me?

Sgatr15

PS Rename yourslef "ol'Doc" and take over my Saturday Night Theraphy class.

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:22:04 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:25:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 82ndAbn:
I'm putting my money on you moving to an isolated cabin in Montana and creating a "special" mailing list.

Been there done that. Turning Ted into a patsy was a piece of cake.

J/K !!!

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:27:37 PM EDT
... Good on you bro!

... At the point in my life that I'm considering a change as well - career not username. Unfortunately or not, I like my job so the motivation is not entirely there. I'd like to start a business near the town I plan on retiring in about 100 miles from here in the mountains.

... Keep us informed of your change
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:27:37 PM EDT
Whacha complaining about? Heck, you got 10,000 posts here. Obviously, you haven't been spending THAT much time with people.

Congrats, and enjoy what I am sure is a much needed break.

Hope to see ya on here again soon.

TXL
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:30:20 PM EDT
Best wishes bro. Based on the stuff you've told us about yourself here I have no doubts you'll be successful at career version 2.0.

No more free medical advice huh? Just preface it all with "I am not a doctor, but ..." etc. Throw in a rec for a Tabasco enema once in a while to use as a "nobody should have taken this guy seriously" defense if you ever need it.

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:31:59 PM EDT
I think you should open a Liberal de-programming camp and guide service. Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:45:52 PM EDT
I will miss your insight and wisdom. Enjoy life, family and the great outdoors (sans people).
Can't improve on how Lumpy196 said it...

"I feel your pain brother.
God be with you in whatever direction he takes you."

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:52:13 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:58:25 PM EDT
thank you drjarhead for helping me a while back when I started twitching

thanks doc
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:02:58 PM EDT
Cingrats on moving on. And thanks for all the help you have given me when I neede advice & couldn't afford to see a Dr.

You are a good man. Thank you, sincerely Searcher for truth.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:09:27 PM EDT
Peace Corps, Doctors Without Borders, W.H.O....?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:43:02 AM EDT
Burnout is a nasty thing. Doc, you need a better class of patient, dealing with the welfare bums would dry up the patience of the Pope.

We will miss your knowledge and insight. God bless you in whatever endeavor He leads you.

Ops
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:06:11 AM EDT

Are you still young enough to go back in the Corps as a Devil Doc? Go back to serving the finest patients in the world, who absolutely deserve the best care possible?

I'm not too familiar with the medical profession, but I've heard recently that a lot of docs are going to a cash-only basis for patients. Cut out a lot of the BS, and ALL of the non-payers. I assume that only works for docs in private practice, though.

Good luck in whatever you choose.

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:14:12 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:14:15 AM EDT
best of luck man!
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:06:22 AM EDT
drjarhead, This ones for you

Mr. Smith was in his hospital bed and had been getting many tests done. After several days of hospitalization, a nurse finally came into his room and stated, "Mr. Smith, I have some bad news and some good news. Which do you want to hear first?"

Mr. Smith solemnly replied, "Well, tell me the bad news first."

The nurse said, "The bad news is that your HMO refuses to pay for you to have an enema. But, the good news is that drjarhead will be in shortly to slap the s**t out of you."

Good luck to you on whatever you decide to do, you're a good man.

GM

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:18:28 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:36:02 AM EDT
Good luck to you Doc.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:38:01 AM EDT
Good luck, doc. Been a privilege to have you around.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:40:05 AM EDT

Originally Posted By drjarhead:
Today was my last day of work. Very sick of the whole medical profession. I am going to take some time off and decide where the next chapter of my life is going to take me but would prefer something besides medicine. Anyhow, I've decided to retire my handle as I will not have malpractice insurance and don't want to have to tell people I cannot help them when asked, nor do I want to expose myself legally for doing so.

Got alot of hugs from the nurses at work today. I think a few came back for second and third helpings. Doc's I worked with were a great group. Patient population was the worst I have ever workeed with and going downhill fast. As such, I'm totally burnt out on people. Don't even like going out for dinner anymore.

I will pick up another handle soon enough but will probably take a few days away from the site and life in general. I will still be around to straighten some of you out when you need it.

I may ressurrect drj one of these days, or if I decide to practice again. Not anytime soon.

BECOME AN FFL!

MAKE $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

AS­K ME HOW!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top