Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/1/2006 11:00:14 PM EDT
These are the rods used to make the "Metal match". You scrape a piece of steel down them and they throw out a shower of sparks. I am looking to buy some for my budding internet business but cannot seem to find them anywhere at a decent price. All I can find is retail store selling them but no bulk supplier. Any help would be appreciated.

Omni
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 11:03:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 11:30:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks but Magnesium is relatively easy to find, the price they list is cheaper than I have seen elswhere though. These things are being a real PITA to find though.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 1:24:40 AM EDT
[#3]
What would be a good price? I bought a dozen from a guy on ebay a few months back, I'll see if I can find the info.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:17:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Have you searched for "misch metal"?
Here is a wholesale supplier

www.metall.com.cn/flint.htm

Skylighter also carries rods of it but it's not cheap from them.

www.skylighter.com/mall/special_effects.asp
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:01:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Tag
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:22:53 AM EDT
[#6]
CS223: Thanks for the links. I dropped Metall a price request and Skylighter is way to high in price. When I did the searches all I would get is a bunch of sites wanting to give you the definition. Looks like there is not to many places that sell just the material.

Omni
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:25:59 AM EDT
[#7]
This stuff sounds interesting. What is it used for??
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:45:54 AM EDT
[#8]
try united nuclear!
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 11:05:23 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
This stuff sounds interesting. What is it used for??

It is also known as a metal match. You scrape a piece of steel down it and it throws off a shower of sparks. It is used as a emergency fire starter since being wet or cold doesn't affect it.

Omni
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:26:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Just got a quote from Metall and they want $4.80 each. At that price I will be better off buying the Boy scout one for my kits.

Omni
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:52:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Here's the guy I got some from : cgi.ebay.com/FLINT-FIRESTARTER-FLINTS-1-LOT-QTY-10_W0QQitemZ7219477215QQcategoryZ383QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

IM me if you want his name and email.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top