Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/14/2004 1:08:57 PM EDT
We just got the 36 hour warning a few minutes ago. Which means, hurricane force winds and surge will be landing here in the Panhandle of Florida.

Here we go..I hope everyone will keep us in your prayers, we need it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:24:52 PM EDT
[#1]
This is going to be awesome to watch.  The devastation will be incredible.

From wunderground.com -->

that pressure is dropping again ( eyewall is closed still and the eye is back to being circular . IVAN is a healthy storm.  Winds back up to 150mph.. regardless of what NHC says.  Look at those numbers.  Thats a conservative 150mph eye.  I'm not sure it won't hit as a CAT5.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:32:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I hope it weakens as it approaches land like Bonnie did.

Duck and cover guys!

Ever have that little kid voice inside that wants storms to build up really big and cool and really give out an ass kicking?  I know I don't really want anyone to get hurt or anybody's stuff damaged, but at the same time, there's that little voice that really wants to see some shit flying around.  Maybe I'm just depraved.

Then again, maybe that's why auto racing gets its ratings -- people watching and waiting to see a massive wreck.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:33:30 PM EDT
[#3]
"This is going to be awesome to watch. The devastation will be incredible. "

IMHO, Poor choice of words
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:36:43 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
We just got the 36 hour warning a few minutes ago. Which means, hurricane force winds and surge will be landing here in the Panhandle of Florida.

LOTS of prayers being sent your way.  God bless and stay safe.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:41:08 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Ever have that little kid voice inside that wants storms to build up really big and cool and really give out an ass kicking?  I know I don't really want anyone to get hurt or anybody's stuff damaged, but at the same time, there's that little voice that really wants to see some shit flying around.  Maybe I'm just depraved.

Naaah...I used to think that way, too...then I saw first-hand what Charley did to Punta Gorda (my in-laws live there), and I wouldn't wish it on anyone...though I am relieved that Ivan is not coming to Tampa!
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:42:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Looks like Mobile is gonna get the worst of it, but I have two words for ya...HUNKER DOWN!!!

GTFO works, too...
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:50:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Bro,

No heros here, if you are in the line of sight of this mother....e-gress, vamoose, am-scra, bugout, haul ass, etc

we got a glancing blow from Charlie and Frances, and I wouldn't want to see the real deal, and this is the real deal.

plywood, fill 'er up, haul ass-- in that order
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:53:15 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Duck and cover guys!

Then again, maybe that's why auto racing gets its ratings -- people watching and waiting to see a massive wreck.

Grow the fuck up and pull your head out of your ass.  People are going to lose everything they have.  Lives will be lost, homes and businesses will be destroyed.  There is nothing cool about it.

Go piss on someone else's thread asshole.

Max (in the path of the storm) Power
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:57:42 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Bro,

No heros here, if you are in the line of sight of this mother....e-gress, vamoose, am-scra, bugout, haul ass, etc

we got a glancing blow from Charlie and Frances, and I wouldn't want to see the real deal, and this is the real deal.

plywood, fill 'er up, haul ass-- in that order

+1
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:57:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Will be praying for everyone down there.  In the meantime, board it up, and get the heck out!
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:59:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Good luck man from the Northshore of Lake Pontchatrain.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:05:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:12:15 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Duck and cover guys!

Ever have that little kid voice inside that wants storms to build up really big and cool and really give out an ass kicking?  I know I don't really want anyone to get hurt or anybody's stuff damaged, but at the same time, there's that little voice that really wants to see some shit flying around.  Maybe I'm just depraved. hen

Grow the fuck up and pull your head out of your ass.  People are going to lose everything they have.  Lives will be lost, homes and businesses will be destroyed.  There is nothing cool about it.

hard
Live in a mobile home and don't have insurance?  That's too bad, I guess.  

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:22:57 PM EDT
[#14]
New Orleans is going under...

Batton down the hatches and be safe.

God bless.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:28:45 PM EDT
[#15]
WTNT24 KNHC 142028
TCMAT4
HURRICANE IVAN FORECAST/ADVISORY NUMBER 50
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL092004
2100Z TUE SEP 14 2004

AT 4 PM CDT...2100Z...A HURRICANE WARNING IS ISSUED FROM GRAND ISLE
LOUISIANA TO APALACHICOLA FLORIDA...INCLUDING THE GREATER NEW
ORLEANS AREA AND LAKE PONTCHARTRAIN. A HURRICANE WARNING
MEANS THAT HURRICANE CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED WITHIN THE WARNING
AREA...GENERALLY WITHIN THE NEXT 24 HOURS. PREPARATIONS TO PROTECT
LIFE AND PROPERTY SHOULD BE RUSHED TO COMPLETION THROUGHOUT THE
ENTIRE WARNING AREA.

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:35:04 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Good luck man from the Northshore of Lake Pontchatrain.

Good luck yourself! Man, GTF out of there! Slidell, Mandeville, Lacombe, all of them big pine trees! I bugged out when I lived there and would do so now. My brother in law and sister in law are leaving Slidell tonight for Hattisburg, and if it looks shitty there they're coming here.

Good luck bro.

Edited to add, my Mommas house on Grand Isle will be lucky if it dodges this one.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:49:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Take care and keep safe, guys!
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 3:13:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 3:23:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Stay on the safe side gentlemen!
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 3:26:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Good luck gentlemen. My prayers are with you.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 3:29:55 PM EDT
[#21]
My thoughts and prayers are with you and everyone in harms way.  Now do the sensible thing and head north ASAP!
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 3:34:55 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

The Big Easy easily rivals SF as a liberal suck hole. No big loss in my books.

wganz

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 3:57:42 PM EDT
[#23]

Who had the song a few years ago "New Orleans is Sinking (and I don't want to swim)"?

As someone with relatives who had to live through Ivan, my sympathies to all you Gulf Coast guys.

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:14:59 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I do it for just about every potential natural disaster.

Yeah, we're pretty fucked up.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:22:17 PM EDT
[#25]
See all the red lines on the map, they go by my house in Birmingham.That sucks
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:29:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Well, as you may have heard Dr. Steve Lyons, this will probably make landfall bewteen Mobile & Pensacola. NOGAPS & UKMET "Naval observatory and United Kingdom computers" have finally agreed on this landfall. NHC & Weather Channel are 0 for2 with predictions of Charley and Francis landfalls. NOGAPS & UKMET are 2 for 2. Either way, any way, if you're near Mobile. LEAVE!! They are giving mandatory evacs anything south of I-10 from Mobile to the state line. LEAVE!! Go west or east...just LEAVE!

As for me..I am in a secure place and will update/inform as long as there is cable. Got the Steyr formula in place soooo I'll be ok.

The storm is now inhaling dry air and is encountering westerly winds aloft..it is starting to decrease in strength. It will land as a healthy Cat. 3 but still just as dangerous because of the surge.

As you "neutral" observers are watching this beast hit...just know that ARFcommers are right smack dab in the middle of it. Me & Max are front row to the show. I just hate what it is gonna do to our beautiful beaches.

Later...and just keep the whole warning area in your prayers.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:34:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:56:45 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Good luck, Bro.--I wish you well.  Be careful--we need our #1 Troll Hunter.  

Right on TBK...ARfcom needs me!

Just watch this terror hit the coast..it will be amazing to watch. I am glued to the news and weather channels right now, watching every flinch of this thing. We'll start getting heavy rain in a few hours and it will not quit until thursday night. Locked/loaded, boarded/gassed, prepped and ready. I'm just going to miss being on the boards for a while.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:27:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Hey NAKED - dump a 30 round mag into Ivan for me when he gets here.

As for me, I'm heading East in about 8 hours - to Tallahassee.

I don't suppose you or Max would be willing to check on my place if it gets real nasty here?
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:46:19 PM EDT
[#30]
0037 hours....bugout in progress guys.  I have a real bad gut feeling about this one.  Like your whole life just got flushed down the shitter.
I managed to get the Jeep loaded down with everything and I'm headed East towards Tally and beyond that within reason. My neigborhood is a ghost town (Perdido Key Area)and it's real odd. I was outside doing a final policing of the area, and you could hear  radial saws and hammers banging in the distance. The subtle winds have begun and you can smell the sweet smell of the salt air. I'm about 34 ft above sea level, so you can imagine it may be a close one. A cat 4 will be, well, hell on earth here.
 Take care.

MF'r out.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:52:18 PM EDT
[#31]
MudFlapper: Man go baby, that storm is to be taken real serious. It probably be packing 100+MPH winds when it makes landfall. It's better to live to fight another, material possession can be replaced. Stay dry. See ya in a couple of days.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:56:58 PM EDT
[#32]
At 5 or 6 years old, I remember Carla. 3 days of winds so high that we had to scream at each other inside to be heard. Cat 4, about the size of IVAN.

Storm surge deposit shrimp boats and larger vessels 10 miles inland.

This was in 1961, and many people died in Galveston Houston area.

1983, Alicia...low cat 3....  2 billion in damages. It took 6 - 8 months to pick up and burn all the downed trees.  Cat 3...weak....no big deal...Houston was devastated.

Allison...2001...Tropical storm....Billions and billions in damage.  'nuff said.

IVAN. NOW......  New Orleans is 8 feet below sea level, dependent on levees and pumps that can handle about 1 inch per hour of rain.  IVAN - 10 -20 foot storm surge. 100k people + in New Orleans have no way to get out of the city as they depend on public transport.  So, when that storm surge comes....will they be floating in the debris in the street?  This is just the water.....God help em...

Pray for the Gulf States.

P.S. I was in New Orleans 9/14 morning. I left after packing up our NO office at 10 or so. Got to Lafayette (A 2 hour drive) in 4.5 hours.  

Gonna be bad....really bad...until you've been through a hurricane, you don't undrstand the term "140 mph SUSTAINED winds"  That means that they don't stop for hours...
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:40:10 PM EDT
[#33]
This may be my last post for awhile, as I sit in my boarded up house waiting for the inevitable. Saw a special on Frederic tonight and looks like Ivan is following an almost identical path. The water on Pensacola Beach's sound is already a foot higher than normal and the barometer is dropping, but outside it is still clear and calm--very still.
When I wake up in the morning it is expected to be windy up to 20mph, by 12 up to 40mph and by 5pm 80mph and above until landfall of Ivan around 7am Thursday.
I've never seen people take a storm so seriously around here as this time. I have lots of tall pines, but have noticed in the past that they all sway together and break down the wind as a group so maybe I'll still have a intact house when it's done. We'll see.
I'll let you guys know how it goes.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 12:10:07 AM EDT
[#34]
I'm here in Mobile and not too worried.  I have my duck tape and sheet plastic.  I'm ready for Ivan !!

Lawdog
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 12:17:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 1:12:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Bad juju this one.

Here in Tally...northeast quadrant... we will get lots of rain, a few tornadoes and  storm force winds. That sucks for sure, but I can only cry for what I know is coming for people and property in the Mobile / Pensacola / New Orleans areas. When Hugo hit, my sister lives 200 miles inland and they had trees two feet in diameter falling like matchsticks near Charlotte. These things are nothing to scoff at...so it "weakens" to a light 4 or even a 3?...that means that the freight train that hits you is only going 50 mph instead of 65!

Yes, these things have a macabe fascination for many...power of nature at work and all that...but they devastate the lives of thousands of people, and that is NO laughing matter.

Hunker down guys and God Bless.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 2:09:15 AM EDT
[#37]

Just saw this on Drudge:

www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/nation/2796077

Direct hit by Ivan could spell doom for New Orleans
Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle News Services

NEW ORLEANS - More than 1.2 million people in metropolitan New Orleans were warned to get out Tuesday as 140-mph Hurricane Ivan churned toward the Gulf Coast, threatening to submerge the below-sea-level city during what could be the most disastrous storm to hit in nearly 40 years.

Residents streamed inland in bumper-to-bumper traffic in an agonizingly slow exodus amid dire warnings that Ivan could overwhelm New Orleans with up to 20 feet of filthy, chemical-polluted water. About three-quarters of a million more people along the coast in Florida, Mississippi and Alabama also were told to evacuate.

Walter Maestri, an emergency manager in New Orleans, America's most vulnerable metropolitan area, has 10,000 body bags ready in case a major hurricane hits. As Hurricane Ivan's expected path shifted uncomfortably close to the low-lying urban soup bowl, Maestri said Tuesday he might need a lot more.

If a strong Category 4 storm such as Ivan made a direct hit, he warned, 50,000 people could drown, and the city could cease to exist.

"This could be The One," Maestri said. "You're talking about the potential loss of a major metropolitan area."

Forecasters said Ivan, blamed for at least 68 deaths in the Caribbean, could reach 160 mph and strengthen to Category 5, the highest level, by the time it blows ashore as early as Thursday somewhere along the Gulf Coast.

"Hopefully the house will still be here when we get back," said Tara Chandra, a doctor at Tulane University in New Orleans who packed up his car, moved plants indoors and tried to book a Houston hotel room. Chandra said he wanted to ride out the storm, but his wife wanted to evacuate: "All the news reports are kind of freaking her out."

Houston-area emergency officials were keeping an eye on Ivan's path and have made preliminary plans should the hurricane continue to turn west.

Galveston County emergency management officials Tuesday discussed the potential for landfall there.

High tides are always a concern for Galveston County residents, and more so for those living in low-lying areas such as on the Bolivar Peninsula and West Galveston Island, the emergency management office said Tuesday. The county will continue to watch the storm and the potential for higher than normal tides to decide whether to evacuate those areas.

With hurricane-force winds extending 105 miles from its center, Ivan could cause significant damage no matter where it strikes. Officials ordered or strongly urged an estimated 1.9 million people in four states to flee to higher ground.

"I beg people on the coast: Do not ride this storm out," Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour said, urging people in other parts of the state to open their homes to relatives, friends and co-workers.

At 2 a.m. EDT today, Ivan was centered about 265 miles south-southeast of the mouth of the Mississippi River and moving north-northwest at 12 mph.

The National Hurricane Center in Miami posted a hurricane warning for a 300-mile swath from Apalachicola in the Florida Panhandle to New Orleans and Grand Isle in Louisiana. Forecasters said Ivan could bring a coastal storm surge of 10 to 16 feet.

About an hour away from New Orleans in Baton Rouge, I-10 West was filled with bumper-to-bumper traffic. Highway rest stops, convenience stores and gas stations were filled with people fleeing the storm. Some evacuees were worried about their homes being flooded and what they would find when they returned.

New Orleans, the nation's largest city below sea level, is particularly vulnerable to flooding, and Mayor Ray Nagin was among the first to urge residents to get out while they can. The city's Louis Armstrong Airport was closed Tuesday night.

Meanwhile, off western Mexico, forecasters were watching Hurricane Javier, a Category 4 storm on a northwest course out to sea. Forecasters said it was possible the storm could make a sharp turn toward the southern Baja California peninsula.

Stay safe!!  Let us know if you need help.

Bigfeet
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 5:32:47 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Duck and cover guys!

I think your hostile attack was totally uncalled for.  I will form my own opinion on who is being the asshole here.  All the same, GOOD LUCK in the storm.  I wish no ill on anyone, as my first comment clearly stated.  I think you took what I said totally wrong.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 5:45:32 AM EDT
[#39]
My god keep all you effected people safe.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 5:46:45 AM EDT
[#40]
My god keep all you effected people safe.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:48:35 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Hey NAKED - dump a 30 round mag into Ivan for me when he gets here.

As for me, I'm heading East in about 8 hours - to Tallahassee.

I don't suppose you or Max would be willing to check on my place if it gets real nasty here?

Not a problem Adam..just I.M. me your phone # and where you live, be more than happy to give a bda after it's over.

Well, we're T-minus 20 hours from landfall...it has just started. 30 mph gusts, surge has already taken the lower beaches. 10 years of restoration is gone.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:04:02 AM EDT
[#42]
From all of us in the Tampa area... good luck to those of you in the panhandle and beyond.  We are all breathing a little easier here, but don't want to see anything bad happen there.  We've had enough for the last two months.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:10:22 AM EDT
[#43]
God bles you and good luck!
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:10:40 AM EDT
[#44]
good luck. my sources, which i believe to be solid, say this will hit as cat 4 for sure.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:02:51 AM EDT
[#45]
Mobile is TOAST...
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:07:56 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:15:16 AM EDT
[#47]
... and for Heavens sake folks, please keep a personal flotation device (PFD) life preserver handy too.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:21:47 AM EDT
[#48]
Be safe brother, I am hunkered down like a MF... Getting my fill of A/C, TV, and the internet unti lthe power goes down.

I GOT A SHIT LOAD OF BOOZE THOUGH !!!!
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:39:24 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Duck and cover guys!

how can you say that. This one is surely going to cause loss of life and completely ruin other people's lives. Some places will never be the same. I don't think you would even have a thought like that if you lived somewhere that hurricanes do hit. If you're in a coastal part of GA... well that even makes your comments more troubling.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:40:47 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Big Easy easily rivals SF as a liberal suck hole. No big loss in my books.

wganz

oh, and FUCK YOU.  My family, the families of 5 of my uncles, my grandparents, and almost everyone of my friends don't mean shit to you. I bet you said the same thing about NYC on 9-11. fucking dick.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top