Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2002 6:11:27 PM EDT
Here it goes...
I have always wanted to be a a pilot, especially a helicopter pilot, which can never happen by private means(most job postings require 3000 hours experience). I have, over the last few years had a growing desire to serve my country. I figured maybe it was time to sack up and join.

I have a masters degree in MIS - think IT degree and currently work at a large company making good money but am not sure if the corporate world is for me. Anyways that is another tangent. I am in good physical shape and have excellent vision.

I am 24 years old and have been talking with a guy at work who is army reserves now and recommended the Warrant Officers program as a way to become a pilot.

I know I should probably go talk to a recruiter but I wanted to gather more information before I hear their side.

Some questions of the top of my head are:
1) What type of guarentee can i get that I will become a pilot and not just get stuck doing IT stuff in the army?

2) Following number 1, if I cannot fly can i be released?

3) What type of commitment is required 4 - 7 - 10 years?

4) What requirements do they have?

5) What should I expect if I do it?

Any other advice for becoming an aviator?

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 8:00:51 PM EDT
[#1]
persue your dreams!

I wanted in the Warrant officer school for flying back when.. was told  "...minimum 2 year waiting list..." I didn't verify it, just took it as that and didnt persue it.

I did have a friend that was a WO3 flying UH-60's (blackhawks)  dont recall why he got out, but the helicopter pilot job market is(was?) literaly overflowing with too many pilots.

I have many rides in the choppers... NOE is the sh!t! [:)]
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 9:13:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 1:28:18 AM EDT
[#3]
actually for your educational level you should go commisioned. by dad is a CWO-5 army aviator and i am working up my WOC packet now and one thing i noticed is that if you go to flight school via the warrant program and you wahs out you will be re-assigned according to the needs of the army. if you go comisioned and you wash out or change your mind you can just resign.

cheif advantages to the warrant program include being able to work in your field for an entire career without having the frequent relocations etc that are required for a commisioned officer to advance their career.

see if your state nationl guard has an "army aviation support facility" and ask some questions. each state gets school slots every year depending on the size of the state and size of the unit. you'll need recomendation letters from senior warrant aviators so start schmoozing now. if you have a political connection use it.  i hate to say it but i actually know a guy that went from being a Lcpl to a Lt. because he got a 2 yr degree and his uncle is trent lott. he ended up as a backseater in an F/A-18  (all weather night attack squadron for all the people who are gonna say its a 1 seat airplane)
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 1:39:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Well, I am a CW-2 proudly  serving in the Ohio Army National Guard.  I have been active for 9 years and the rest of my 15 years have been guard.  I could tell you how wonderful it is beeing a Warrant but the best way to get the info you want is to go to the Warrant Officer Career Center web site.  I belive it is www.wocc.gov  but I could be mistaken.  So just use a search engine and use "Warrant Officer Career Center" for you search.  There you will find the most accurate and up todate info.  Also you avoid all the "I think", "I know somebody", and "I heard" stuff.  If you have anymore questions feel free to contact me.  Oh by the way it is a good choice.  As a Flying Warrant Officer youll be seen as on of the best helicopter pilots in the world.
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 3:00:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Are you sold on joining the Army?  All services have rotary wing pilots including the Coast Guard and the money is better as a commissioned officer.  As I understand it, the main benefit to the Army WO program is that those guys get to keep flying and don't have requirements for "career-broadening" jobs that we naval aviators have.  That can also be a negative because sometimes you can get a little burned out on flying and need a change of pace.  If you're interested in flying for the Navy, drop me an email.  You can get an aviation guarantee with us.
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 3:01:10 AM EDT
[#6]
[url=http://leav-www.army.mil/wocc/]Warrant Officer Carrer Center[/url]
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 4:31:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
actually for your educational level you should go commisioned.
View Quote

Not to rain on your parade - but the last thing the Army needs is another commisioned officer who only wants to be a pilot. That is WHY we have warrants. Maybe in the Air Force, Navy, etc. (don't flame me, I honestly don't know) you can make up to O-3 as a "top-gun" wannabe, but the army needs its officers to lead platoons and companies. Flying is just a small part of the job as an aviation commissioned officer. It is your job as a warrant officer.

I would have ZERO respect for anyone who would take a commission as a military officer and than resign because they washed out of flight school.

My 1/50 of a dollar.

Adam
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 6:01:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Adam White said...
"I would have ZERO respect for anyone who would take a commission as a military officer and than resign because they washed out of flight school."

that pretty much says it all....as I made through pre flight..and did good..washed out of the flying ..messed up a couple of prog and standardization rides ..
when asked what I wanted to do...I asked for Vietnam...glad I did..wouldnt have it any other way..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top