Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/19/2002 4:30:20 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 4:47:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Let's hear what Bush's new peace plan for the Palestinians and Israel will entail.

You'll note that it keeps being put off as circumstances warrant, i.e., not hard on the heels of the worst terrorist attack in Jerusalem in six years.

I wish he'd listen to Rumsfield more than Powell!

Eric The(TheTruthWillOut)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 4:48:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 4:50:33 AM EDT
[#3]
My dislike for Colon (exit) Powell knows no bounds!!  How can we get rid of this dork?  Are we stuck with him just because of his color?  What an ass!

It appears to me we have surrendered.  Bush wants Israel to do so as well - at the insistence of Colon (exit).  Just who the hell RUNS this administration anyway?

I hope the next moslem bomber in this country makes an error and gets the State Department!  Those jerks are like UN clones.

Rant off.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 5:35:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 6:05:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My dislike for Colon (exit) Powell knows no bounds
View Quote
At one time, I had utmost respect for Powell.  Now, we are all seeing what a pussy he is.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 6:13:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Might I remind one and all that it was Gen. Colin Powell who suggested to Pres. Bush, Sr., to halt the ground offensive against Iraq after 100 hours?

Pres. Bush quite reasonably took the 'hit' for not finishing the job on Saddam, but it was this Powell fellow who gave him the bad, bad, really bad advice.

Just as bad as the advice he appears to be giving Pres. Bush now!

Eric The(Astounded)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 6:35:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 6:51:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 6:57:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 7:14:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Man... You guys show some patience.... He is working on it....

Bush , I dare say, has more balls then most...

Given time it will happen... You just gotta wait... I know the waiten sucks... By the time we get to a real all out War, there won't be one America who is not begging for War!!, Which will help us as well.

Given enough time all the parts will line up and Bush will let the Hammer down... Its a fact.. Just wait...

Ben
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 7:17:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 7:25:48 AM EDT
[#12]
We have had 44 presidents, and if anything is true it is that the job has gotten infinitely harder... This makes running IBM or Intel or General Motors look like children running a lemonade stand....  You are controlling the combined Might of the US Armed Forces, you have some degree of Controll over the economy, but you are constantly Under a state of Seige if you don't control both the Houses of Congress.  This is like running a world wide conglomerate where your Board of Directors is constantly threatening a hostile takover.... The Stress level must be gargantuan.... So cut the guy some slack..

The White House is a fricken Meat Grinder, if you think you pack the gear to run the country then I suggest you run for president...
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 7:32:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 7:36:45 AM EDT
[#14]
If Gore was president , we would already have another president. Because Gore is not only Dishonest with everyone around him, he is Dishonest with himself... This situation would kill Al Gore... And if Clinton would have been in office it would have broke him... Because Clinton was already insane when he left office.

Ben
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 7:40:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 8:22:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Powell is a dove and has always been a dove.  I dare say, and I hate to do so, but I believe it true, people like Powell are why Vietnam happened the way it did.  I believe Powell has tremendous influence in the white house.  Whoever said it was right in that GW has the final word, but so far most of the final words seem to be right in the powell line.  

I'm convinced one of two things is happening.  The administration is taking the powell philosophy and being very reserved and overly (detrimentally) cautious with respect to the war on terror and the Israel situation....

OR, for the conspiracy theorists...GW is dragging this out, not wanting it to heat up until closer to the next election so that we are involved in full scale combat with Afghanistan, Iraq, whoever, near the time of the next election.  Presidents in War are much more popular and likely to be relected.  Given the election debacle this is probably GW's ONLY chance of getting reelected.  I'm sure his fondest hope was that 9/11 was in 2002 or 2003 instead, that way he could quickly bring the retribution of the American people and still have it near election, rather than having to drag it out like appears to be happening now.

As for those of you calling for patience and understanding with the administration, I cannot.  They have a job to do, they are not doing it in either our war on terror or Israel's.  They have the most important job in the counrty, and that is not a place for excuses, but strong, decisive action.

Mike
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 8:41:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Powell is a big supporter of affirmative action.  Naturally, because he benefitted from it in the Army.  AA allows mediocrity to rise to the top.  Bad enough in business, but lethal when it involves national security.

Powell is a wily politician now, just as he was in the military.  As such, he has an inability to see in absolutes and judge when the time for reason is past and the only option is force decisively applied to accomplish an end.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 8:43:21 AM EDT
[#18]
This country can ill afford another General Meade.. Sometimes too much caution gives the enemy all the time you have wasted.

Ben
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 5:21:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Eric, I too remember what TRAITOR Powell did during the Gulf war.  SO disgusted Shwartzcoft (sp), a decent and honorable man, that he retired.  It pains me about Powell, I truly want to see a very qualified Black man in that position, one with balls and vision, who has made it WITHOUT AA, who is not a token but chosen for his ability!  Such men are too uncommon, I am afraid.

Bush is screwing the pooch.  Approval was over 80% when he was talking tough and carrying a club.  Now that he is backpeddling like crazy, his approval, though still high, is dropping.  He keeps screwing around until the next attack and he could be a one termer just like Papa!
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 5:23:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 5:33:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Might I remind one and all that it was Gen. Colin Powell who suggested to Pres. Bush, Sr., to halt the ground offensive against Iraq after 100 hours?

Eric The(Astounded)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

It's way worse than that.  Powell was against us even putting any troops into the Gulf region to begin with.  

And to prove he's giving the same bad advice to W that he gave his father, Powell exhorted to stop the Northern Alliance (aided by Russian forces) to stop their steamroller advance to Kabul and then Khandahar.  He thought they were making too much progress.

He's a soft, wormy dove.  Someone who thinks it's better to look weak and ineffectual than strong and potent.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 5:46:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Man... You guys show some patience.... He is working on it....

Bush , I dare say, has more balls then most...

Given time it will happen... You just gotta wait... I know the waiten sucks... By the time we get to a real all out War, there won't be one America who is not begging for War!!, Which will help us as well.

Given enough time all the parts will line up and Bush will let the Hammer down... Its a fact.. Just wait...

Ben
View Quote

And it will be pure coincidence that all the parts will line up at an opportune time in the next re-election campaign...

Unfortunately, I am rapidly growing disillusioned by all of this.  I cannot believe that we continue to use our influence to force Israel to just bend over and say 'please sir, I'd like some more!'  

As was stated, we would NEVER concede to such restraints.  Hell, we invaded and toppled a country in our defense.  I believe we would nuke an entire continent straight through the earth's core and out the other side if we suffered daily scuicide attacks for weeks on end.

There is what is popular.  There is what is PC.  And then there is what is right.  Its about damn time that a leader stood up and did what's right.  Not what will bolster approval ratings or generate votes.  Not what special interests pressure them to do in the name of whatever cause.  Not what best fits into ours or our allies plans.

What is right.

Sorry for the rant...
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 7:43:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Powell is trying to pussy-foot his way into office with his "beat around the Bush" humanitarian efforts. He knows that he is the most eligible black candidate to get into office if he continues in politics.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 8:30:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Eric The Hun : Now I have to interdict I was there and we wanted to go into Iraq, but if the U.S. went forth and pursued the retreating Iraqi forces further than we did we would have BLOWN the whole U.S led arab colition to hell and would have ended up shooting our way out of S.W Asia just to save face. Sure we would have won, but at the cost of thousands of American lives and the public would have cried foul. It just makes me sick that after ten years people (Educated People) Still ponder about this and make uneducated remarks to make it sound as if this was a big GODDAMN story that never ended. Sure people may say Gen.Powell is a pussy but he understands politics better than 99% on this board including myself and if that keeps americans alive I'll vote for the pussy. If I offended anyone this is the truth take it as you may
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 4:49:52 AM EDT
[#25]
There is a question as to why we entered into a coalition with scum like Syria.  We would have been much better off to have kept it to Saudi and Kuwait and maybe a few other of the friendly Gulf states (Oman, Qatar, Bahrain) and had no restriction on not removing Hussein.  For many of us there, the idea of leaving Hussein in power was, and is, incomprehensible.  To go to as much trouble as we did and leave him in power was an enormous waste of American lives, money, and effort.  Dealing with him forcefully would have sent a much needed message to other despots around the world - we can't stop you from repressing your own people, but if you move outside your borders you will be removed from power.  Our problems in the Middle East today are in part due to an image of indecisiveness.

For those Powell fans, my understanding is that Cheney had to set up his own planning cell for Desert Shield/Storm and bypass Powell because Powell was so against us getting involved (insubordinate?).
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 5:58:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Eric The Hun : Now I have to interdict I was there and we wanted to go into Iraq, but if the U.S. went forth and pursued the retreating Iraqi forces further than we did we would have BLOWN the whole U.S led arab colition to hell and would have ended up shooting our way out of S.W Asia just to save face. Sure we would have won, but at the cost of thousands of American lives and the public would have cried foul. It just makes me sick that after ten years people (Educated People) Still ponder about this and make uneducated remarks to make it sound as if this was a big GODDAMN story that never ended. Sure people may say Gen.Powell is a pussy but he understands politics better than 99% on this board including myself and if that keeps americans alive I'll vote for the pussy. If I offended anyone this is the truth take it as you may
View Quote

First, let me thank you for your service on behalf of our country, and what a honor it is to have folks like you on this Board!

Next, let me assure you that I would not have wished to risk one American life [u]unncessarily[/u] in the Gulf War.

But what makes you think that pursuing the routed Iraqi army all the way back to Baghdad would have led to the 'cost of thousands of American lives'?

I have never heard anyone use that excuse as a reason for not taking out the rest of Saddam's army, only that the US was afraid of the 'power vacuum' that would exist if Saddam should fall, etc., etc.

There was simply no indication at all that Iraq could have mounted any counterstrike against US forces!

And the break up of the coalition? Who the hell needed the Arab partners in the coalition once the shooting commenced?

Eric The(We'llDoItAloneNextTimeForCertain)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 6:03:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 5:45:32 PM EDT
[#28]
First off thank you for the reply, as it means Alot to all vetrans to get a Thank You. And I will even throw in an apology if anyone thinks I pissed in their cornflakes as it was not my intention. Now down to the bare bones of the operation, Take Kuwait. Arab coalition takes right flank under direction of USMC. U.S British German Etc. main armor and Mech Inf. shotguns N. up the middle. XVIII Corps with additional light armor takes left flank and hooks E. north of Kuwait City expecting heavy resistance. (there was nothing there but civilians and reserve Iraqi army EPWs) Hense ilikelegs puzzie army that was defeated without confrontation (supposedly) Why didnt we go further north? becouse we had achieved our objective Take Kuwait City and had a substancial body count due to the incident on Jarah road N. of Kuwait City. I hate to change anyones impression of that war, but our ground forces barely touched the Iraqi regulars or republican guard to the north, We were pushed hard for three days and fratracide reports were starting to pop up with ever accuring frequency, our armor was running low on fuel and ordinance, supply lines getting longer a push into Bagdad was never planned for logistically. IMHO and many others saddam was just trying to suck us into a drawn out battle where he could turn arab support on his side as Iraq was being attacked by a western power, hell the Syrian troops were allready talking of a coup on there generals. My $.02
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top