Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/10/2004 1:42:13 PM EDT
But I made it with plenty of time to spare.  My radio kept trying to fly off and the belt was so tight I could barely breathe but I made it with about 45 seconds to spare.   If anything the test showed me I really need to stop smoking I was nearly dead when I finished!

Next is psych test, then onto the background check.
Link Posted: 8/10/2004 8:03:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Is the 1/4 mile another part of the test or is the obstacle course that long while doing the other events.  

I'm trying to switch agencies and I had a course very similar to that and I made it in under one and a half minute.  Don't worry you'll be fine.  

P.S.  That 6 foot wall isn't as easy as it looks.  Hit it running and don't stop.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 6:48:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Ours:

200-300 m sprint
cone weave
2ft wall jump (can't touch it)
4 ft wall climb over
a Low crawl
6 ft wall climb
flight of stairs up and down
bust through a blocked door
climb through a window
ID a suspect that was given to you at begining of course
50 lb tackle
165 lb dummy drag for 15 ft

All this in under 3 min 18 sec   ( I think)

not too bad....I finished in 2 min 13 sec....  but I was VERY winded afterward.

Good luck.!!
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 9:55:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Our test is as follows:

The course runs along the perimiter of the academy grounds.
Starting the course, they are sitting in front passenger seat of a cruiser.  Their time starts when the candidate opens door to exit cruiser.  

They have to run to the back of the car and push it 20 feet.
run ~20 yards to a 150 lb. dummy and drag it 25 feet.
run  ~20 yards and climb a 6 foot high wooden wall.
run  ~20 yards to a set of 8 tires and have to step through each one.
run ~20 yards to a series of traffic cones and weave through them
They then have to complete two circuits around the academy perimiter and finish at the starting point.

Everyone is timed but there is no set time limit.  The faster their time, the better their ranking.
Those who demonstrate alot of effort are noted as well.

We used to have a culvert in our test but too many people were getting hurt (twisted ankles and such...) so they dropped it.

Chickenspigscows, where are you testing?....if you don't mind my asking...

Quoted:
Physical agility test...  I have to jump a 6 foot wall, a 5 foot culvert and drag a 150lb dummy 50 feet all while running 1/4 mile in under 3 minutes 40 seconds.   It sounds supiciously easy... has anyone here done a test like this?  Whats the catch?  Oh so nervous!

Link Posted: 8/11/2004 12:40:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Testing for Henrico County.  I've been working as a fire alarm contractor for the last 3 years so I've gone the way of most contractors and gotten fat and lazy.  I'm hoping my desire to suceed overcomes my other shortcomings The step after that is roughly 100 times harder, the interview boards...
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 11:11:41 PM EDT
[#5]
what types of things are on a average written test ?
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 6:52:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Stop by a library or book store and you can get sample tests.

I bought a book called "Police Exam" from some national bookstore.  I think it "over" prepped me...
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 9:13:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Ahhh.  A couple of our guys recently went down there.  They seem to like it.
If you don't get in, don't give up.  Try getting on with a different department and if you have your heart set on Henrico, try to lateral later on.

Quoted:
Testing for Henrico County.  I've been working as a fire alarm contractor for the last 3 years so I've gone the way of most contractors and gotten fat and lazy.  I'm hoping my desire to suceed overcomes my other shortcomings

The step after that is roughly 100 times harder, the interview boards...

Link Posted: 8/15/2004 1:52:54 AM EDT
[#8]
OMG your just in the doorway right now.  Just wait until the murderous review board and the nerve racking, silly, long psycological exam.  Then wait a month for them to decide what they want to do, etc.  

Advice, don't give up.......keep going and good luck.

signed, co-worker of the owner of Robinson LE supply......(tiger 2 tank)
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 3:42:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Man the psych test was strange, they were asking me if the top of my head feels tender all the way down to if im afraid of snakes.  Oral interview is on the 13th of next month...  what are they like, what sort of questions do they ask...and what are they looking for??
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top