Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 6/30/2003 6:26:09 PM EDT
Not speaking about looks. But which one is the most durable. Especially the motor/transmission? Speak amongst yourselves......
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 6:35:09 PM EDT
Ford. Interesting fact: Chevrolet pick ups over ten years old weigh an average of 75lbs less than they did new due to the body rusting away. The engines in three out of the four Chevy's I've owned blew up. None of the four Fords I've owned had to have any major repairs other than water pumps, alternators, etc.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 7:16:48 PM EDT
I've always driven chevy's and I currently have a Chevy Silverado right now that I love but if I were going to buy a truck to use hard everyday for the next 10 years, I'd go for the ford.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 7:41:59 PM EDT
2000 Ford Exploder, original cost 27000 ( MSRP 31500), trade in now, 9500. 57000 miles, excellent condition. Replaced 1 transmission 1 steering assembly 1 front end suspension 1 thermostat 1 bumper 4 new tires, these were free $850 extra for extended warranty, thank God for this one. The tranny blew at 36700. Never went off rode. Only pulled a jet ski about 4 times. Oil change every 3500, and all the regular maintance. I have to admit, it never left me high and dry always ran even when sick. It would get me home and then die. The fit and finish suck too. I have a new Avalanche on the way. We will see if there is a difference.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 7:49:54 PM EDT
I have a 14 year old S-10 Blazer. I've had to replace; radiator, fuel pump, and clutch master cylinder. Those were the only times it has been in the shop.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 7:59:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/30/2003 8:02:13 PM EDT by Cypher214]
The Older Chevy's aren't too bad, but the 99-current have constant problems. Sticking throttle, shorts in the wiring, noisy dash, etc. Ford is the way to go with new trucks. For many years I was a die-hard Ford hater. Now I'd give my left nut for one of the 2004 Supercrew FX4's, they're awesome. The new interior is a great improvement. If I was in the market for a new truck, I'd hold out until the 2004 F-150 hits the market. The only advantage with the Chevy in 2003 was the horsepower, not so in '04. Ford is releasing a new 5.4L V8 with the redesigned trucks: 300HP, 365 ft.lbs. of torque. GM is gonna have to do something, this new Ford is gonna be hot. [img]http://www.fordvehicles.com/images/2003/en/allnewf150/popups/popup_ext_22.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.fordvehicles.com/images/2003/en/allnewf150/gallery/int_24.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 8:45:55 PM EDT
I have always figured that if you are going to work/play hard with a pickup, you have to go Ford. If you're just going to use it for around town driving/light hauling, the Chevy's were more comfortable. Dodge was never an option, but they have changed a bit since I had to drive one (my dad's), back in the mid eighties. Just my .02 and probably worth half that.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 8:50:40 PM EDT
ShamusMcOI What about GMC trucks? CRC
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 8:50:42 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Cypher214: The Older Chevy's aren't too bad, but the 99-current have constant problems. Sticking throttle, shorts in the wiring, noisy dash, etc. Ford is the way to go with new trucks. For many years I was a die-hard Ford hater. Now I'd give my left nut for one of the 2004 Supercrew FX4's, they're awesome. The new interior is a great improvement. If I was in the market for a new truck, I'd hold out until the 2004 F-150 hits the market. The only advantage with the Chevy in 2003 was the horsepower, not so in '04. Ford is releasing a new 5.4L V8 with the redesigned trucks: 300HP, 365 ft.lbs. of torque. GM is gonna have to do something, this new Ford is gonna be hot. [url]http://www.fordvehicles.com/images/2003/en/allnewf150/popups/popup_ext_22.jpg[/url] [url]http://www.fordvehicles.com/images/2003/en/allnewf150/gallery/int_24.jpg[/url]
View Quote
I will have one just as soon as they roll off the line. [:P] I am debating on the Harvest Gold (Solid Color) or the Two-Tone White on the top with Harvest Gold Bottom. I gotta and gonna get me one.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 8:54:14 PM EDT
Originally Posted By nwatson99:
Originally Posted By Cypher214: The Older Chevy's aren't too bad, but the 99-current have constant problems. Sticking throttle, shorts in the wiring, noisy dash, etc. Ford is the way to go with new trucks. For many years I was a die-hard Ford hater. Now I'd give my left nut for one of the 2004 Supercrew FX4's, they're awesome. The new interior is a great improvement. If I was in the market for a new truck, I'd hold out until the 2004 F-150 hits the market. The only advantage with the Chevy in 2003 was the horsepower, not so in '04. Ford is releasing a new 5.4L V8 with the redesigned trucks: 300HP, 365 ft.lbs. of torque. GM is gonna have to do something, this new Ford is gonna be hot. [url]http://www.fordvehicles.com/images/2003/en/allnewf150/popups/popup_ext_22.jpg[/url] [url]http://www.fordvehicles.com/images/2003/en/allnewf150/gallery/int_24.jpg[/url]
View Quote
I will have one just as soon as they roll off the line. [:P] I am debating on the Harvest Gold (Solid Color) or the Two-Tone White on the top with Harvest Gold Bottom. I gotta and gonna get me one.
View Quote
Sorry forgot one more thing it will be the [size=4] FX-4 Model [/size=4][naughty]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 8:57:55 PM EDT
If you were to survey/calculate those that are in a business that uses light-duty trucks, you would learn that those in a successful business have learned that FORD is the only option for light-duty pickups. Perhaps even medium-duty. I buy only FORDs, and have yet to regret. DanM
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 9:01:16 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 9:05:47 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 10:50:57 PM EDT
Our new service truck at the FD is a 2004 F350 FX4 Crewcab with the 6.0 diesel. That truck is so sweet. I was one of the lucky few that got to take it for a ride when we first got it in a few days ago. If I had 45K, I would have my own! But for now I have my 2001 GMC Sierra Z-71. I have had no problems with it so far. Don't get me wrong, when I pay it off in a few years, the F-man is going to get a F350 single cab with a 5.4.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 11:44:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/30/2003 11:47:04 PM EDT by operatorerror]
Chevy. But I'm biased. Still driving my '68 1/2 ton. 396/TH400/12 bolt posi/manual steering/manual drum brakes. Fuel tank behind the seat. The only thing between me and 20 gallons of premium is a piece of cardboard. Hell, I'm surprised that it has seatbelts. I love my truck. Edited to add positraction!
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 12:09:18 AM EDT
This isnt about a Ford of a Chevy, but it is about a truck. Buddy of mine has a 2001 Dodge Dakota Sport. It has 77,000 miles on it (not a typo). Anyways, the transmission went a couple weeks ago. The warrenty ended at 70k miles. It was over two thousand to fix.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 1:55:42 AM EDT
No question. Ford. While I do have a Chevy, and it is a fine truck (I hate saying that, b/c every time I do, something goes wrong w/it), it is an '85, back when they made trucks similiar to Fords. Solid front axle, manual lock-in hubs, has a Turbo400 3sp. auto tranny, 6.2L diesel. 126,000 miles on it (I am the 3rd owner but knew the previous two owners well) and it drives and rides just fine. Chevy's today are no where's near the same animal. My father has an almost identical '85 as mine and a 2001 Silverado 2500HD w/Duramax diesel and Allison automatic. In every detail except overall power, it pales in comparison to the new Fords. I've got a 2003 F350 4x4 7.3L diesel w/auto tranny. Didn't want to be a guinea pig with the new 6.0L diesel, so went with the tried and true 7.3L. I like relying on cubes more than "belts and whistles" anyway. My father says he'd swap his Chevy for my Ford in a heartbeat. Pun intended.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 2:55:18 AM EDT
Originally Posted By CRC: ShamusMcOI What about GMC trucks? CRC
View Quote
And the difference between that and a Chevy is?
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 3:10:47 AM EDT
hmmmm I would say.............
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 3:16:02 AM EDT
Originally Posted By ARDOC: 2000 Ford Exploder, original cost 27000 ( MSRP 31500), trade in now, 9500. 57000 miles, excellent condition.
View Quote
I hate to tell you this, but explorers suck and they aren't really a truck, but more like a big car. I think you'll really like the Avalance though, it's more like a real truck, even though it's a chevy.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 3:17:21 AM EDT
Originally Posted By ShamusMcOI:
Originally Posted By CRC: ShamusMcOI What about GMC trucks? CRC
View Quote
And the difference between that and a Chevy is?
View Quote
There's a difference. I wouldn't get caught dead driving a Chevy, but I ended up buying a Yukon because Chevy and GMC aren't the same thing. You can't ask questions, you just have to go along with it. [:)]
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 7:57:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/1/2003 7:58:10 AM EDT by AimSmall]
I voted Chevy. OF course I do drive a 1987 Chevy Cheyenne. Only issue was a starter a couple of years ago. 102K miles... She has been a great truck for me... If I were to buy a new one? I would hav to get a frickin second job!! ACK [:D]
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 8:14:45 AM EDT
The Avalanch is as much a truck as an overgrown plastic El Camino. JMNSHO
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 8:22:00 AM EDT
Mary Ann.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 8:25:55 AM EDT
i drive a Dodge. being tall i need the head room.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 8:26:15 AM EDT
I have a '99 Silverado. Bought it new December '99. It now has 119k on it. The fuel economy is really starting to go down. I am getting about 11 mpg now. I am having drive shaft problems and aparently GM break rotors don't wear very well so my mechanic told me that all 4 need to be replaced and that is gonna cost me $780 plus the drive shaft problem. My gas gauge also don't work and I must use the odometer to know when I need to fill up. I love the truck and I have just beat the living hell out of it. It sees off road on average 4x a week due to my job. Some places were really nasty. I have had water and mudd over the hood, bounced the truck off trees pulled out other people's trucks and all sorts of stuff but I am going to trade it in within the next month for an extended cab Toyota Tacoma. The new Chevy's are too expensive for what you get, the new body style is butt ugly and they are starting to move them closer to the ground. My boss has two F-150's and both of them lost engines around @ 100k.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 8:26:51 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 8:33:10 AM EDT
Dodge.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 8:36:37 AM EDT
Ford trucks have served my family for over three decades. We have had 5 Econoline vans with over 600K miles between them. My grandfather is on his second F-150 and he has 200K between the two of them. Only thing that created a problem was the unleaded gas system conversion on the E-350 back a few years ago....[grenade] My other grandfather is driving a '67 Ford P/U with 300K on the clock, the wrecked door and the upholstery were the only issues so far. My dad started this decade, in 99, with a 2000 Tahoe for my mom...she has 6K miles on it. Not sure I can weigh in on Chevy. My first truck, an '85 S-10, was a beast. Never got stuck, try as I might. [:D] I was the tow truck to everyone else in their Troopers, Nissans, Toys, etc.....finally sold it as a farm truck...it is still in this function AFAIK.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 9:20:50 AM EDT
97 chevy and I am very happy, over 111k miles and only typical prevenative maint. I will keep it for atleast another 100k. My previous chevy had 301k before I sold it. I tend to keep trucks for a long while. My wifes 89 chevy has 247K on it.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 9:27:30 AM EDT
Ford. I've got an 2001 F-150 with over 40k miles on it and my only maintenance costs have been for oil changes.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 9:34:24 AM EDT
I see more Ford trucks broken down on the interstate than I do Chevys. Yet Chevy trucks seem to be about as common as Fords on the road. This suggests to me that Chevys are more reliable, at least in the sense that whatever breaks is less likely to strand you and is instead merely an inconvenience. Fundamental "get you home no matter what else breaks" reliability is by far my most important criteria for selecting any vehicle. In that respect, I believe Chevys to be superior. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing really wrong with Fords or any other well regarded brand. When's the last time you heard of a moderately new truck having an engine seizure or something else catastrophic occur to the engine? It pretty much doesn't happen. Both Ford and Chevy have their engine technology well worked out, but when it comes to engine control systems, Chevy appears to have a reliability edge. Buy what you like. You're likely to be fairly pleased either way. The companies ARE competitive with each others, despite the highly biased attitudes of some people. My family has had too many really good vehicles from many manufacturers to believe for a moment that any one of them has a lock on quality. Right now, my father owns a Toyota Tundra truck, which replaced a 2000 Dodge Ram, which replaced an '87 GMC S15. The GMC never developed an expensive problem in 13 years of ownership, and the Dodge was perfect and very comfortable. The Tundra is also perfect and has a hell of an engine, but the Dodge's seats were very slightly more comfortable. He doesn't do heavy work with his truck. It carries golf clubs, but I'm sure it can handle a lot more than that. For daily driving, almost anything should do you fine. CJ
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 9:37:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/1/2003 9:38:20 AM EDT by NickFury]
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 10:04:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/1/2003 10:08:26 AM EDT by Symtex]
Im Biased too. I drive a Chevy... Im on my 3rd Silverado. 1st truck,, 85 Silverado with 184k when I sold it with no major problems. 2nd truck 96 Silverado with 196K when I sold it without any major problems. 3rd and current truck is an 03 Silverado with 1K miles. I have loved all my trucks. Now growing up my family had Ford trucks and all of them had problems with them. My mom still drives a Explorer with lots of problems. I think both makers have there pros and cons. Chevy has not let me down yet, so I will remain loyal. I want to add that my trucks have been used and abused. I have pulled several trailers with trucks loaded on them across Texas, and had no tranny or engine problems. They have been off raod and used to push trees down to clear roads on hunting leases.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 11:15:25 AM EDT
The poll has a huge gaping hole in the options....Dodge. Plus, are we talking brand new or overall thru-out history? Ie the '67-72 Chevy/GMC vs '73-87, '72-93 Mopar vs the newest generation, etc. Full size 1/2 or 3/4 ton or S10/Ranger/Dakota sized? My vote for a "real" truck to be used & abused: Dodge, pre '94 with a 727 Torqueflite rather than that $$$$POS overdrive automatic. Non "Magnum" non FI 318ci v8 (only surpassed by bulletproofedness by the Leaning Tower Of Power /6). You'd have to actually work hard to kill the 318/slant six, 727 combo. Most brand X & blue offal vehicles I've dealt with broke down if you looked at them crosseyed. Mopar or no car!
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 4:29:52 AM EDT
Thanks for the input guys. I've been a Chevy guy for awhile, but am buying a Ford F150 Supercrew Lariat 4X4 in the near future. You have eased my mind about that decision.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 4:59:58 AM EDT
Get Both! [:D] Hell, I dunno. I can't stand American auto manufacturers. They all build rolling dogshi7, charge a fortune for it, and then don't repair them when they break down. I've heard dozens of stories re: taking a truck/car to a dealer for warranty repair, only to be told that, "oh, yea. it's supposed to do that. Designed that way at the factory." HUH? Designed to burn a quart of oil a week? IMHO, FVCK the big 3. Unions are driving them out of business anyway. None have any pride in their products. I currently drive a Ford. It has served me pretty well so far, but lots of things don't work anymore. I'm not impressed. YMMV. --LS
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 5:05:19 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 5:13:16 AM EDT
I've owned Ford trucks and now drive a Dodge. Due to their less than stellar reputation for quality, I haven't owned a GMC product since my first car, a 1968 Cutlass. I once took a graduate level course in statistics and one of the examples they used for determining standard deviations and bell curves was failure rates and number of defects in GM transmissions!! Holy cow. That really made me think about their quality process. Anyway, I've finally determined that everybody I know who has trouble with car/trucks seems to have trouble with everything they own regardless of make or model. They whine about their Ford and then go buy a Chevy. They have problems with that and buy something different. I finally noticed the pattern and decided it is not what they are buying but how they drive it and maintain it that is the factor.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 5:33:44 AM EDT
Originally Posted By TRW: I once took a graduate level course in statistics and one of the examples they used for determining standard deviations and bell curves was failure rates and number of defects in GM transmissions!! Holy cow. That really made me think about their quality process.
View Quote
Didn't they once put out two different transmission in the same car w/o proper testing. The one that had more problems was dropped from the lineup! Some R&D scheme there!
Anyway, I've finally determined that everybody I know who has trouble with car/trucks seems to have trouble with everything they own regardless of make or model. They whine about their Ford and then go buy a Chevy. They have problems with that and buy something different. I finally noticed the pattern and decided it is not what they are buying but how they drive it and maintain it that is the factor.
View Quote
Ding ding ding! And there you have it folks, it's a machine. machines need regular maintenance to function properly. Your body's a machine, you feed it, clothe it, wash it, wipe your ass etc right? (I hope so) It's all relative, w/o out care and maintenance machines don't work. End of story.
Top Top