Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/20/2005 11:48:10 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:49:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Deere.  Hands down.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:49:48 AM EDT
[#2]
2. John Deere - More horsepower, and a good getaway tractor... camouflaged into the grass that is
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:53:36 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a John Deere.

They are more expensive - up-front, and when you go to buy parts - but they are hands-down the most reliable tractors ever made.

At no point in the last 50 years has ANYONE ever made a tractor that could out-do the JD lineup.

Having said all of that, Kubota makes a good machine, too, and may be fine for moderate (non-commercial) use.

I have a Jon Deere 4030. It is certainly more than I need - but having 'too much' tractor is a GOOD thing.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:53:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Buy America First.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:55:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Kubota.
An extra 6 HP aint gonna really mean a whole lot unless your already working both to the limits, in which case you need a bigger tractor to begin with.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:57:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Oh, and IBTP.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:57:50 AM EDT
[#7]
kubota - due to good kubota 4wd experience and bad JD 4wd experience *shrug*
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:57:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Deere.  ARFCOM deserves the best!  I guy I work with came from Kubota.  It sounds like they have a lot of problems.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:58:05 AM EDT
[#9]
As a recent JD buyer (LT180....little puny tractor compared to what you are talking about).....get the Deere.  and hey, you get a free hat a month or so later too!!!!! wooooo hoooo..  I call it my $4000 hat.   actually had a young hottie compliment me on it at the Lowe's a week ago.

And.....Buy American!

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:58:47 AM EDT
[#10]
More power, more better

Also, what one has a higher capacity hydralic pump?
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:58:53 AM EDT
[#11]

There's never a poll around when you need one, huh?

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:59:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Get the Deere Ed.

There is a reason that most every Farmer/Rancher wants GREEN.  Have you honestly ever heard a farmer say " I'd rather have that Kubota tractor than a John Deere."  

The reasons are that GREEN IRON is more refined, has more usefull features and ALWAYS has a higher resale value.

ARFCOM needs the green.  

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:58:51 AM EDT
[#13]
+1 for made in (and $ staying in ) the USA

When it's 15 years old, which one will have the larger dealer network (and to go with it, service / parts availability)?
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:59:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Recent experience with tractor dealership:

Brought my 1990 JD 750 (4wd 20HP,PTO etc) to a kabota dealership for the additon of a front end loader and power beyond kit.

The Kabota salesman told me that I could get (brand new!) the same size tractor (4wd etc) w/front end loader already installed for $13,000.  I was in shock.
I was thinking that I got ripped off when I bought my tractor. (15 years younger and not much cheaper? WTF!?)
I asked the guy why so cheap for the Kabota...he said green paint is very expensive.

So, if its resale value and availabilty and interchangeabilty (sp?) of parts that your looking for, go with the JD. Green paint holds its value much better than the other colors and parts are easier to come by.
Transmission is a biggie when it comes to tractors. Kubota makes a hydro that is very easy to use but a pain if it breaks. Geared trannys are much more SHTF worthy, you could lose several gears and still keep working. Most deers have 8 fwd gears.  A burned up clutch in low range will usually still work....and work and work.

Loader work...Kubota has some pretty neat features like auto return and auto level on there front end loaders. Personally I bought an aftermarket front end loader due to price, but it'll never be worth what a JD factory unit would be. If your experienced with front end loader work you can pick based on workmanship and hydro setup.

Ed, one question: why such a big tractor? 58HP is a freaking hoss. Mine is only a 20HP 3cyl YANMAR (Jap made) Drizzle and it'll pull logs bigger than I care to cut!

Pic added for effect:

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:01:40 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't have a dog in this fight as I don't know squat about tractors.  But I say go American.  American built and American owned.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:04:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Don't know much about Tractors, but in true ARFCOM fashion....

GET BOTH!!

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:04:47 PM EDT
[#17]
I have worked soil prep/seeding for one of the largest and best commercial landscaping companys in the US.  We use primarily New Holland or Kubota equipment.  The NHs are good, but they have issues, not reccomended for what you want to do.  

Kubota has been reliable and better than anything else out there.  I haven't looked at Deere, but from my experience Deere makes some good tractors too.  

What we do is rip the ground, use a PTO driven rototiller, grade, and seed.  

My reccomendation, get as big of a loader weight capacity as possible.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:05:14 PM EDT
[#18]
BTW, IIRC, my John Deere was built in Germany.

There is a guy in northeast Alabama (Moulton) who imports and rebuilds JD tractors from Europe. I bought one from him.

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:05:44 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Buy America First.

So you're saying neither of the choices? Most Deeres are made in Canada.

FWIW, I've had a Kubota for 15 years and have never had a bit of trouble out of it, save for having to replace the exhaust pipe and muffler after running into a low limb.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:09:24 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

There is a guy in northeast Alabama (Moulton) who imports and rebuilds JD tractors from Europe. I bought one from him.

I did some research...  link

dis sayz that the 4720 is made in Augusta, Georgia!  
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:12:19 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I did some research...  link

dis sayz that the 4720 is made in Augusta, Georgia!  

It says mine was made in Iowa, too - maybe some models were made here and overseas, too. I honestly don't know.

(come to think of it, I'm not SURE mine was made overseas. I'll check tonight. )
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:15:01 PM EDT
[#22]
I know that New Holland is global.  NH construction is based in Germany AFAIK, there harvesters are in NH, PA, and their tractors are in Michigan.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:17:44 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Last year,I got a lot of advice on what accessories to get,size,tires,etc when buying a tractor.

It seemed that a lot of people favored the John Deere line.Others,thought that JD was over-priced and charged too much for replacement parts.

A second and not too distant crowd,thought Kubota was AS GOOD as JD and less expensive.

Other brands came a distant third place in popularity.

Now I have norrowed it down to 2 contenders and want to make my decision at the end of the week.

Here is the question:

What should we get for "the official tractor of AR15.com's headquarter compound?"

The choices include a loader and a brush cutter & are 4WD Diesels.They are:

1) KUBOTA L5030L (Gross power:52 HP)

2) JOHN DEERE 4720 (Gross power:58HP) .This one would cost about $3,000 more than the Kubota,but has larger HP

If you were to choose,which would you buy, and briefly explain why?

well i'll be damned - a topic I know something about!

Ed, I just bought a new JD 5205.  There are a few factors that should influence your decision to go green or orange (or blue (New holland)).  

1. Dealer.  Yes, dealer.  Is the dealer going to take care of you whenit breaks?  and it will break, I promise!  No, I bet you MY tractor....that your tractor will break.  Will they pick it up?  if not, then you better price a trailer also.  (my dealer picks up delivers no cost to me) You will get flat tires, new electronic gadgetry will go out, etc.

2. Look at the underbody.  Do you have loose wires hanging down?  Are hydraulic lines secured?  first time you do any bush hogging you will rip the guts out fo that thang.  

3.  Get one with a category 2 hitch.  cat 1 is too petite, and no implements go with cat 3 unless you pay an arm /leg.    Cat II is just beefy enough to take your abuse and keep going

4.  If you will operate ground engaging equipment, get a gear transmission.  If mostly loader work, get a hydro transmission.  I know of at least one guy that bought a hydro to pull a plow and it burned his tranny up.

5.  Look at teh power steering control arms - are they in front of the axle or behind?  In my JD, I have hit many hidden stumps with the axle that would have surely bent a control arm (let me help you, Kubota arms are exposed in the front, JD arms are safely hidden behind a beefy axle.  )

6. lastly, think of the afterlife.  no, you can't take it with you - but can your spouse better move a JD or KuboTA?  The question of which one holds value better is best answered by a drive around the countryside - do you see more green or orange?  If you live in Kubota country, then that's one point for Kubota!  same for JD.  Make sure the momma avila can sell it and get good resale when you are gone.  

Does that help?

Also, as you see I like fords (new holland) but I went with JD for reason number 6
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:18:48 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Deere.  ARFCOM deserves the best!  I guy I work with came from Kubota.  It sounds like they have a lot of problems.

brother they all have problems, the key is which dealer is going to bullshit you about abuse versus warrantied items, or just fix the problem.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:19:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Aren't a lot of the JD's now made in Japan?  Yanmar?

vmax84
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:19:57 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

It says mine was made in Iowa, too - maybe some models were made here and overseas, too. I honestly don't know.

(come to think of it, I'm not SURE mine was made overseas. I'll check tonight. )

We bought a brand new JD (I can't remember exact  model number off hand, but it's around 95hp) a month ago.  On the rear of the tractor near the hyd. bank is a tag saying MADE IN GERMANY.  Also I must sadly report that we received a new front mounted JD loader in last night.  One of the main casting/forgings on the cylinder pivot area has a big ole MADE IN CHINA on it.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:20:42 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Buy America First.

Ed Avila, unfortunately if you listen to this guy you won't be able to buy much!  I believe I can counton onehand the tracors that are built here, and even they are made from imported parts.  My 5105 is made in Georgia, while it's brother the 5103 is made in India.  Deere sells more 5103s in India than here in teh US.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:21:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:21:09 PM EDT
[#29]
And brother-in-law just bought another Kubota.  He loves it.

vmax84
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:22:45 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Buy America First.

So you're saying neither of the choices? Most Deeres are made in Canada.

FWIW, I've had a Kubota for 15 years and have never had a bit of trouble out of it, save for having to replace the exhaust pipe and muffler after running into a low limb.

I don't care where the product is made. I care where the profits go.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:24:01 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Ed, one question: why such a big tractor? 58HP is a freaking hoss. Mine is only a 20HP 3cyl Drizzle and it'll pull logs bigger than I care to cut!

Ed,if you spend 20 grand on a "compact utility tractor" I will laugh at you, no, the world will laugh at you.  If you have serious work to do, you must have 50 HP or more.  For example, a nine point chisel plow is rated at 10 hp per chisel point - (5 hp/pt if you have 4wd) theoretically you would need a 90 hp tractor to pull it in all conditions, and a 50 hp in 4wd to pull it.  Less than 50 and you are severly limiting the ground engaging eqpt. and more importantly, you are limiting yourself to a 4 foot bushhog instead of 6.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:25:13 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ed, one question: why such a big tractor? 58HP is a freaking hoss. Mine is only a 20HP 3cyl Drizzle and it'll pull logs bigger than I care to cut!

Pic added for effect:
personalpages.tds.net/~eflanagin/tractor.jpg

I have about 30 acres to bush-hog and want to plant about 10 acres of deer food plots.
If I decide that I want to cut the hay myself (in a field I lease to a neighbor),that is another 40 acres I would have to cut.

I also might find limited use for it in building a range,etc

The people I have talked to say "get a bigger tractor than you need"

So green paint is more expensive than blue or orange,heh?

Good picture!

I've got ~80 HP on 147 acres.

Planting food plots is fun when you have a big tractor, but a drudgery when you have to 'make do' with a smaller tractor.
As for where tractors are made, mine is a '70's vintage, not new by any means. I have no idea where JD stuff is made now.

That's another good thing about JD tractors - they will last almost forever if properly maintained.

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:27:06 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
As a recent JD buyer (LT180....little puny tractor compared to what you are talking about).....get the Deere.  and hey, you get a free hat a month or so later too!!!!! wooooo hoooo..  I call it my $4000 hat.   actually had a young hottie compliment me on it at the Lowe's a week ago.

And.....Buy American!

Plowing these fields in the hot summer sun
Over by the gate lordy here she comes
With a basket full of chicken and a big cold jug of sweet tea
I make a little room and she climbs on up
Open up a throttle and stir a little dust
Just look at her face she ain't a foolin me

She thinks my tractor's sexy
It really turns her on
She's always staring at me
While I'm chuggin along
She likes the way it's pullin' while we're tillin' up the land
She's even kind of crazy 'bout my farmer's tan
She's the only one who really understands what gets me

We ride back and forth until we run out of light
Take it to the barn put it up for the night
Climb up in the loft sit and talk with the radio on
She said she's got a dream and I asked what it is
She wants a little farm and a yard full of kids
One more teeny weeny ride before take her home

It really turns her on
While I'm chuggin along

Well she ain't into cars or pick up trucks
But if it runs like a Deere man her eyes light up

She thinks my tractor's....

It really turns her on
While I'm chuggin along

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:27:06 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pic added for effect:
personalpages.tds.net/~eflanagin/tractor.jpg

I have about 30 acres to bush-hog and want to plant about 10 acres of deer food plots.
If I decide that I want to cut the hay myself (in a field I lease to a neighbor),that is another 40 acres I would have to cut.

I also might find limited use for it in building a range,etc

The people I have talked to say "get a bigger tractor than you need"

So green paint is more expensive than blue or orange,heh?

Good picture!

OK ed, I don't know much but I know this stuff!  so I have given you my best advice, as usual, you are free to take or leave it!  by the way, you put on a good site here, I am really enjoying it.  You may also take a look at

tractorbynet.com

hehe.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:30:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:34:16 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm curious about "All American". I didn't think that existed anymore in tractors.

My Case tractor was made in England and has a Brit diesel. My Bobcat was made in the USA, but has a Kobota engine (just about bullet proof) and parts from all over the world. The two Fords were made in the USA, but they sold their tooling to the Koreans who now market under Farmtract I believe.

Why 4WD? Everyone I know with 4WD gets themselves in trouble and needs another tractor to pull them out. Fifty horses and up is a lot of tractor if you're just tooling along around with a bush hog. Do you have to climb out of ravines? The loader is handy. Heck, get the backhoe so you can dig around the neighborhood for tax free cash.

I guess my advice is comfort. What feels right on your butt (balance, turning radius, noise) and is something you want to spend fours to eight hours on at a stretch. Color doesn't make a tractor.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:34:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Go green.  Bigger network for factory parts and aftermarket parts.  Not to say that the Kubota line is bad by any means, I just like to work on stuff that you can get parts easy for.  Oh, also a huge plus are hydraulic hoses with JIC or SAE threads instead of some friggin metric DIN crap.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:36:35 PM EDT
[#38]
I have a 65 HP Deere at the BigDozer66 compound!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:40:02 PM EDT
[#39]
I've had a 1948 Farmall M for eighteen years and the thing hates me.
My wife refuses to run me over with the thing when it's working to
end this war. I don't like tractors

Get a nice big Bobcat

GM
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:41:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:42:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Here is my new monster. JD 6715 4WD.

It was between Kubota and JD.  My uncle is a Kubota dealer, and he said that the AC sucks in them, plus just in the dealer lot is was a bouncy mother.

The JD had better AC ran smooth, and the service is top notch at out local dealer.  They went way beyond for us.  Even sold our old one off their lot with no consignment cost to us.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:45:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Well, growing up we had nothing but Deeres...old Deeres.  There were all good tractors.  Recently, my father has wandered from the bright green and yellow path and has taken the trail of orange.  Yeah, he got a Kubota.  Granted, the tractors we use/have had are a little smaller than you are looking at (30-40hp range).  We use them for woods work (skidding logs), bush hogging, bailing hay, mowing, etc.  My 2cents...if the green paint is worth $3000 to you, get it.  I agree 100% with the "buy American" group, but don't think the worse of someone that doesn't.  Performance wise I think you will find them on par with each other.  Either tractor should give you years of good service.  I think with the equipment you are looking at, there is not $3000 worth of difference.  

Hope that helps...

Gus
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:48:16 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Here is my new monster. JD 6715 4WD.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v327/chida66/DSCN7192.jpg

It was between Kubota and JD.  My uncle is a Kubota dealer, and he said that the AC sucks in them, plus just in the dealer lot is was a bouncy mother.

The JD had better AC ran smooth, and the service is top notch at out local dealer.  They went way beyond for us.  Even sold our old one off their lot with no consignment cost to us.

Damn, that is one fine looking piece of equipment. Just curious, if you don't mind me asking, whats something like that cost?
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:51:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Look on my site and you will see a JD 4410. Pleanty big for my 150 acres and 20 acres of bird food plots.

www.southernblades.com
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:57:34 PM EDT
[#45]
JD uses a lot of import parts anyways.    The parent company may be in the US, but I don't think Kawasaki comes from over here anywhere.

The HP difference is negligable.   If it were me, I would look at all the accessories and attachments you may want to get.   See who offers something to your liking and get the price of them.

I know a lot of landscapers around here and they have been just as happy with the Kubo's as the JD's.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:02:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:07:02 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Get the Deere Ed.

There is a reason that most every Farmer/Rancher wants GREEN.  Have you honestly ever heard a farmer say " I'd rather have that Kubota tractor than a John Deere."  

The reasons are that GREEN IRON is more refined, has more usefull features and ALWAYS has a higher resale value.

ARFCOM needs the green.  

Bullshit.
Comparing lawn tractors with farming is a WHOLE different ballgame.
Firstly Deere gives amazing financing.
Secondly, Cat makes a better product. Period. Heavier then all hell, but its but Cat tough. I'd take a Cat over anything in the field today. Too bad they cost more.
Thirdly, Deere isnt all that innovative. International came out with the first rotary drives (If memory serves, it may have been New Holland.....)

Deere is good, but its not the cats meow. At least in terms of big equipment. Obviously though Ed isnt looking to work 800 acres a day either so.......
And I have no experience with their small lines of equipment. If there small lines are "as good as" there big lines, it wont be head and shoulders above the competition.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:15:25 PM EDT
[#48]
All I have to say is the father-in-law has 2 JD's. 1 is a 1936 and the other is a 1939, both model B and original. He keeps pulling other tractors out when they are stuck and local farmers borrow then when their tractors break.

He just collects them and doesn't farm but the tractors sure get a workout.

Go green all the way. I haven't seen to many other tractors regardless of make that still run as good at that age as they did new.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:22:26 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
All I have to say is the father-in-law has 2 JD's. 1 is a 1936 and the other is a 1939, both model B and original. He keeps pulling other tractors out when they are stuck and local farmers borrow then when their tractors break.

He just collects them and doesn't farm but the tractors sure get a workout.

Go green all the way. I haven't seen to many other tractors regardless of make that still run as good at that age as they did new.

Ever see a Minneapolis Moline?
Now theres a tractor that'll grunt n pull.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:27:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Get the JD because at ARFCOM, we are mostly American!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top