Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/15/2017 2:52:46 PM EDT
I'd love to have some military guys answer this one as best as they can:

Lets say Fat Old Kimmy finally gets what he wants: A working ICBM that can hit the USA. He decides, against whatever opposition there is, to launch it at the Pacific Coast - either towards Los Angeles, San Fransisco, or Seattle.

What would the US response be if it failed to detonate (or was intercepted)? 

Inversely, what do you think would realistically happen if in fact, a low-yield weapon hit near LA or SF?
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 2:55:10 PM EDT
[#1]
WWIII
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 2:57:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Republicans win the popular vote
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 2:57:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Pop pmags?
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 2:59:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
SPNI
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 3:00:14 PM EDT
[#5]
The other question is does anyone think we have defenses already in place that can stop an ICBM that is already in the air coming our way?

I hope I would be pleasantly surprised that the answer is yes...
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 3:01:44 PM EDT
[#6]
The NORKS can not launch a missile to America unless they start in  California . They are not close to the technology
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 3:01:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The other question is does anyone think we have defenses already in place that can stop an ICBM that is already in the air coming our way?

View Quote
As of March 2017: http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/06/asia/thaad-arrival-south-korea/
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 3:02:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Conventional strikes on all launch and storage sites - followed by intervention by China and US SpecOps going in to seize what we need to secure.  Possible conventional strikes on C3I key sites, plus likely disabling of some major power grid and their limited internal networks.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 3:02:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 3:02:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The NORKS can not launch a missile to America unless they start in  California . They are not close to the technology
View Quote
They successfully launched a satellite into polar orbit a few months ago, so they have the technology to do it. Question is if it has enough weight to carry a warhead.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 3:02:35 PM EDT
[#11]
It would splash down someplace in the pacific NE of Japan. They can't hit the USA with anything they currently have operational.

SK Japan China Russia, total different story.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 3:02:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Republicans would win the next popular vote and best Korea would be a smoldering ash pit.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 3:02:55 PM EDT
[#13]
.mil guys would not make that decision.  They would just carry it out.  With the current CIC we would be building MOABs as fast a possible.   Anything resembling military infrastructure or that could be used in a threatening manner would look like burnt marshmallows.

I don't think they would go nuclear but I don't make that call.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 3:04:16 PM EDT
[#14]
I would think the most likely (and actually in range) targets would be Seoul South Korea or Okinawa Japan, and hitting either would light off a WW1 house of cards that would draw a lot of parties into the show.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 3:05:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
The answer to your question is yes.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 3:05:33 PM EDT
[#16]
It would be shot down and we would hiroshima/nagasaki pyongyang. If we didnt then trump would be put in the same category as obama, a pathetic cuck.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 3:08:41 PM EDT
[#17]
counterstrike on kim  jong's house....

Link Posted: 4/15/2017 3:08:43 PM EDT
[#18]
They would miss, hit Mexico and look like assholes. Then, we would still fuck their shit up, with the approval of NATO because Mexico can't retaliate.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 3:08:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm sure Obama and his cronies put that system in place already...sucks to live on the west coast, shame they get what they voted for.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 3:08:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Space laser takes out that one, and this map suddenly changes.

Link Posted: 4/15/2017 3:09:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
WWIII
View Quote
No.

Not even close.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 3:09:46 PM EDT
[#22]
NK would be a waste land.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 3:10:12 PM EDT
[#23]
We would test out our ground based mid course defense system. 
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 3:11:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have to think the answer is yes. We spent 45+\- years preparing for what would have been a massive strike, hundreds of incoming missles, from the USSR. A single, or even Kim's wet dream of a dozen, incoming low tech ICBM's would be child's play; I'd think.  We can intercept crashing satellites now for frig's sake.

Now, if you allow for China to jump in, or non-conventional delivery we have another ball game all together.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 3:12:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Trump "get me the red phone"

Link Posted: 4/15/2017 3:13:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

No.

Not even close.
View Quote
I hope you're right.

Whether or not the thing actually reaches the continental United States, the response would be massive.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 3:13:42 PM EDT
[#27]
The chances of them being able to construct a missile that can even fly a couple hundred miles with out falling into the ocean are not good.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 3:17:06 PM EDT
[#28]
why do you think  Trumps kicking out all the Mexicans?
To make room for the Nork refugees.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 3:21:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Obama would write a letter of apology to North Korea.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 3:24:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Obama would write a letter of apology to North Korea.
View Quote
lol
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 3:26:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Conventional strikes on all launch and storage sites - followed by intervention by China and US SpecOps going in to seize what we need to secure.  Possible conventional strikes on C3I key sites, plus likely disabling of some major power grid and their limited internal networks.
View Quote
I am pretty sure best Korea has nothing that looks like a major power grid
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 3:27:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'd love to have some military guys answer this one as best as they can:

Lets say Fat Old Kimmy finally gets what he wants: A working ICBM that can hit the USA. He decides, against whatever opposition there is, to launch it at the Pacific Coast - either towards Los Angeles, San Fransisco, or Seattle.

What would the US response be if it failed to detonate (or was intercepted)? 

Inversely, what do you think would realistically happen if in fact, a low-yield weapon hit near LA or SF?
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

We've had a response ready for quite some time now.

I'm not going to say our target package was North Korea . But I'll bet you a wooden nickel it wasn't Australia.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 3:30:43 PM EDT
[#33]
If the North actually launched a nuclear-armed ICBM, even the Chinese and Russians would look the other way while we made the rubble bounce - and possibly glow - in NK.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 3:31:25 PM EDT
[#34]
It would be a hell of a crisis to exploit and the PTB most assuredly will....imo

oh and say bye to Norkorea

also California would be taken over by the GOP
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 3:35:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 3:37:41 PM EDT
[#36]
If they launched first and hit CONUS we would glass that fucking place and no one is doing shit about it.

I get that its china's little brother but I have a feeling they are sick of their BS and cost associated with them. South Korea would probably be collateral damage.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 3:40:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
My sinuses are on fire from a mix of rye and Pepsi. Thanks a lot.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 3:40:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Seattle could be toast if not intercepted
Do they have any nuclear capable subs?

No matter what all of NK would be fried
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 3:41:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I hope you're right.

Whether or not the thing actually reaches the continental United States, the response would be massive.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

Not even close.
I hope you're right.

I mean look at recent events... One Delta dude got killed and in response we dropped the biggest thing in our inventory.

The best reaction is over reaction to these MFers. Noone currently trying to piss in our cornflakes can come close to uping us.. Fuck these backwards ass motherfuckers....Can we dig up Curtis Lemay and let that guy loose in the pacific ?
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 3:42:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Wouldn't it be easier for them to place one on a container ship and launch from a short distance, or smuggle one in?  I believe their yield/size ratio is garbage by modern standards or they could have already put one on/in one of their satellites that already cross over the US.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 3:42:29 PM EDT
[#41]

And  Ground-Based Interceptor
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 3:44:24 PM EDT
[#42]
He would be assfucked by a different Minuteman than his usual rotation.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 3:45:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Applause?Los Angeles, San Francisco, or Seattle.  Just kidding.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 3:46:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
Just because we signed the ABM treaty doesn't mean it's not still being researched....I would be VERY surprised if there wasn't a software option to convert some of our current systems to address a threat like that.  That said, a whole lot of innocent, starving, and incredibly deluded Norks would get vitrified along with Tubby when the Canned Sunshine lands on wherever he is.....if we even GET the shot...the Chinese might take him out themselves.  The seem to be singularly annoyed with his antics recently.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 3:48:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
It would fall somewhere in the Pacific with nothing more than a splash.
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 3:49:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Seattle could be toast if not intercepted
Do they have any nuclear capable subs?

No matter what all of NK would be fried
View Quote
Ive often wondered about Hawaii.  That might be within their capability.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 3:51:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/427508/CDEC3D22-4DC8-4C02-AF67-6252D2FFFAF0-187964.JPG

We've had a response ready for quite some time now.

I'm not going to say our target package was North Korea . But I'll bet you a wooden nickel it wasn't Australia.
View Quote
This is the reply I was hoping for, more or less.

In my head, I wonder what kind of pre-set targets you have with a North Korean destination for those Trident(s). 
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 3:52:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
They would miss, hit Mexico and look like assholes. Then, we would still fuck their shit up, with the approval of NATO because Mexico can't retaliate.
View Quote
I...would not be so upset if it played out that way?
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 3:55:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Trump would give the order to waste the motherfuckers
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 3:55:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
WWIII
View Quote
If NK launched a first strike nuclear attack, who would be rushing to their side?

Russia?  China?  Yeah, no.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top