BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2006 11:11:05 AM EDT
Caliber Rifle
By Monisha Bansal
CNSNews.com Correspondent
February 09, 2006

(CNSNews.com) - The indictment of ten foreign nationals on charges that they tried to smuggle dozens of .50 caliber rifles out of the U.S. and into the hands of alleged terrorists in Colombia, has given gun control groups another reason to push for a ban of the rifle.

The ten suspects were indicted in Miami, Fla., then arrested in Bogota, Colombia, after allegedly trying to smuggle 50 of the .50 caliber rifles and two helicopters to the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Columbia (FARC), a group that reportedly controls much of Colombia and is listed by the U.S. State Department as a terrorist organization.

U.S. Rep. James Moran (D-Va.), said the individuals indicted were "seeking to take advantage of lax U.S. gun laws."

"What more of a smoking gun do lawmakers need for proof that .50 caliber sniper rifles are weapons of terror?" asked Thom Mannard, executive director of the Illinois Council Against Handgun Violence.

The .50 caliber rifle is used by the armed forces of 35 different countries. "Fifty caliber sniper rifles were designed as battlefield rifles to destroy aircraft, puncture armor, attack fuel depots and other material targets, and to be used for assassination due to the rifle's astonishing range and firepower," added Mannard.

Earlier this year, the California Legislature passed and Republican Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger signed a law banning the rifle. The Illinois Legislature considering a similar ban and bills to ban the .50 caliber rifle nationwide have been introduced in both the U.S. House and Senate.

"Our country's easily exploited gun laws are very attractive to terrorists," said Moran. "The 50 caliber, in the hands of terrorists, is not only a threat to our national security; it is a threat to other countries battling the war on terror."

But the gun's inventor, Ronnie Barrett told CBS News' "60 Minutes" on Jan. 9, that the .50 caliber rifle "has an excellent record."

"You know, as far as the abuses with .50-caliber rifles, they are so few, if any, that all other calibers ought to aspire to have as good a record as it has," Barrett said.

John Burtt, chairman of the Fifty Caliber Institute, said he does not see the connection between the rifle and the terrorist organization.

"I don't know what the handgun control group is trying to imply by saying that .50 caliber rifles should be banned, simply because crooks out there are stealing them, or doing whatever they're doing to supply them to international drug cartels," Burtt told Cybercast News Service.

"If there are criminals out there engaged in criminal behavior, let's arrest them and send them to jail. If somebody is out there smuggling .50 caliber rifles they need to be prosecuted, arrested, and sent to prison. There is no problem with that whatsoever," Burtt said.

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:14:23 AM EDT
[#1]
But nobody cares they were "smuggling" helicopters out of the country?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:15:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:15:30 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Caliber Rifle
By Monisha Bansal
February 09, 2006

(CNSNews.com) - The indictment of ten foreign nationals on charges that they tried to smuggle dozens of .50 caliber rifles out of the U.S. and into the hands of alleged terrorists in Colombia, has given gun control groups another reason to push for a ban of the rifle.

The ten suspects were indicted in Miami, Fla., then arrested in Bogota, Colombia, after allegedly trying to smuggle 50 of the .50 caliber rifles and two helicopters to the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Columbia (FARC), a group that reportedly controls much of Colombia and is listed by the U.S. State Department as a terrorist organization.

U.S. Rep. James Moran (D-Va.), said the individuals indicted were "seeking to take advantage of lax U.S. gun laws." America's freedom, which we will not relinquish because terrorists or criminals abuse it.  Instead, we will punish terrorists and criminals whenever we find them.

"What more of a smoking gun do lawmakers need for proof that .50 caliber sniper rifles are weapons of terror?" asked Thom Mannard, executive director of the Illinois Council Against Handgun Violence.

The .50 caliber rifle is used by the armed forces of 35 different countries. "Fifty caliber sniper rifles were designed as battlefield rifles to destroy aircraft, puncture armor, attack fuel depots and other material targets, and to be used for assassination due to the rifle's astonishing range and firepower," added Mannard.

Earlier this year, the California Legislature passed and Republican Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger signed a law banning the rifle. The Illinois Legislature considering a similar ban and bills to ban the .50 caliber rifle nationwide have been introduced in both the U.S. House and Senate.

"Our country's easily exploited gun laws are very attractive to terrorists," said Moran. "The 50 caliber, in the hands of terrorists, is not only a threat to our national security; it is a threat to other countries battling the war on terror."

But the gun's inventor, Ronnie Barrett told CBS News' "60 Minutes" on Jan. 9, that the .50 caliber rifle "has an excellent record."

"You know, as far as the abuses with .50-caliber rifles, they are so few, if any, that all other calibers ought to aspire to have as good a record as it has," Barrett said.

John Burtt, chairman of the Fifty Caliber Institute, said he does not see the connection between the rifle and the terrorist organization.

"I don't know what the handgun control group is trying to imply by saying that .50 caliber rifles should be banned, simply because crooks out there are stealing them, or doing whatever they're doing to supply them to international drug cartels," Burtt told Cybercast News Service.

"If there are criminals out there engaged in criminal behavior, let's arrest them and send them to jail. If somebody is out there smuggling .50 caliber rifles they need to be prosecuted, arrested, and sent to prison. There is no problem with that whatsoever," Burtt said.

Fixed it for the scumbag.

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:16:03 AM EDT
[#4]

What does this have to do with Republicans? I see a democrat acting like an ass.

Want to explain more, please?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:16:04 AM EDT
[#5]
What does this have to do with republicans?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:16:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah two helicopters and it's all about a silly rifle
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:18:24 AM EDT
[#7]

I'm not entirely sure I trust that source.  It seems to be some sort of hokey out of the "Media Research Center" whatever that is.

Trying to trace down who/what that is seems to lead in a variety of weird directions.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:19:36 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Got me though it was a Repub that signed the first 50 ban in effect in kalistan so....
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:21:15 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

+1.

What is with morons and not reading articles?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:21:57 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Got me though it was a Repub that signed the first 50 ban in effect in kalistan so....

"repub" should appear like then when referring to RINOs.  In quotations.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:23:56 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
What does this have to do with Republicans? I see a democrat acting like an ass.

I put up a sensational misleading headline for two reasons:

1) Contact the Republicans and demand they do not waffle and ban these rifles

2) It got you to read this thread, no?

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:25:14 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I put up a sensational misleading headline for two reasons:

1) Contact the Republicans and demand they do not waffle and ban these rifles

2) It got you to read this thread, no?

There is another word to describe intentionally misleading headlines and childish attempts to get attention.

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:25:40 AM EDT
[#13]
So...the terrorists won't try to smuggle in 50cal's if there is a ban on them here?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:25:47 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

"repub" should appear like then when referring to RINOs.  In quotations.

CA 'Republican' == Flyover country Democrat.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:26:40 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You think Arnold is a Republican?  You honestly fucking think that anything but a lib by any name could be elected in Cali?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:36:04 AM EDT
[#16]
You know, I have no desire to own a .50 but stories like this make me want to buy one just to piss off the Brady Bunch.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:40:58 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
You know, I have no desire to own a .50 but stories like this make me want to buy one just to piss off the Brady Bunch.

Mancard NOW!
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:41:49 AM EDT
[#18]
IIRC, CNS is kinda like Worldnetdaily.  Sensationalistic and provocative headlines.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:42:51 AM EDT
[#19]

Who cares about a few rifles.  We need to ban all private ownership of helicopters ASAP.  They're weapons of war that no private citizen has any business owning.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:55:04 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
IIRC, CNS is kinda like AR15.COM General Discussions.  Sensationalistic and provocative headlines.

Fixed it for you.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:04:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Awe fuck.  Now I gotta use my pension on a Sebru.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:32:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Well, I guess it's time to order some more .50 ammo.  Any deals out there??
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:47:45 PM EDT
[#23]
More death and destruction can be inflicted by two helicopters than ten fifty-caliber rifles.

And yes, even simple unarmed Hueys could do this.

But according to the Dimwits, this is a gun-problem.

Gotcha.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:48:10 PM EDT
[#24]
This gives me the urge to get an AR-50.

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:50:21 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
More death and destruction can be inflicted by two helicopters than ten fifty-caliber rifles.

Gotcha.

I think the legislation is silly, but I beg to differ on the helicopter damage.  

Anyways, time to invent the fifty-five caliber rifle I guess.

Also, 50 cals are designed to blow up fuel depots? lol
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:55:26 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I'm not entirely sure I trust that source.  It seems to be some sort of hokey out of the "Media Research Center" whatever that is.

Trying to trace down who/what that is seems to lead in a variety of weird directions.

It's true... they talked about it on NRA Cam & Co. ( Ya'll should get Sirius)  Anyway the VPC was the one who made the article.  Ronny Barrett went on the show and totally slammed every point the article made.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:07:05 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Caliber Rifle
By Monisha Bansal
February 09, 2006

U.S. Rep. James Moran MORON (D-Va.), said the individuals indicted were "seeking to take advantage of lax U.S. gun laws." America's freedom, which we will not relinquish because terrorists or criminals abuse it.  Instead, we will punish terrorists and criminals whenever we find them.

Fixed it for the scumbag.

fixed it some more..
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:09:05 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Gotcha.

I think the legislation is silly, but I beg to differ on the helicopter damage.

Let's discount the fact that the helos could be armed with rocket pods for now and just focus on the ability of terrorist groups/drug cartels to ferry bad guys anywhere they wanted. Lots of bad guys.

See where this is going?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top