Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/11/2003 6:35:38 AM EDT
He married a Tajik girl about 1.5 years ago, & has been living in Texas since his return about 1 year ago. He was offered a decent job helping to start a college in Tajikistan & has decided it's in "his" best interest to take the job & has signed a 2 year contract to go back to Tajikistan.
Problem is he is taking his 2 sons, 11, & 8 with him, & his wife. The boys are blond with blue eyes, & pale complexions. This can't be good as the country is Muslim, & dark skinned/haired folks who speak mostly Russian, & Farsey. These boys will in my opinion, A) Be in danger all the time, & my brother has admitted to me he has no security plan at all for them. B) Will not have friends due to them being outsiders from a different culture, & language barrier.
C) Will loose out on living in America, & being close to their 3 older sisters.

His wife doesn't think it's safe for the kids, & neither does her mother. The should know as they are from there, & her mother even said she wouldn't mind a visit from her daughter, but would prefer her to live her life in America.

We had a family meeting 3 nights ago, & pointed all this & much more out to him, but to no avail. He only see's what he wants for himself, & won't be reasoned with.
In short he will do what he chooses, & I would ask that those on this site who pray would pray for him, & his family. His name is Jeff, & his wife is Takmina, 2 boys are Jacob, & Caleb. He will be leaving his 12, & 17 year old daughters behind, & I know this greaves them, but he has made his choice to do it regardless. So please pray for Courtney, & Stephanie as well.  
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 6:48:14 AM EDT
[#1]
With a 17 yr old daughter he's got to be old enough to know better than the foolishness you report. Prayer will do no good. Go with god.[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 6:50:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Are you kidding?  This is a tremendous opportunity for those kids.  They'll learn so much being exposed to a foreign culture at that age, and they'll appreciate the US so much more profoundly when they get home.

I'm sure the kids will be safe.

My buddy went over there (former Soviet central Asian states)for a school year when he was 16-17 with his dad, who was an American academic and CIA spy.  He was fine.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 6:59:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm sure the kids will be safe.
quote]

What makes you so sure they will be safe? The guy's brother hasn't even made their safety a priority. I lot of things could happen to them.

You are right about it being a great opportunity. But it is also a risk. A calculated risk. I'd LOVE to trek to K2 basecamp in Pakistan. But there's NO way I'd do it at this point in history. Many do. But there will be abductions and terrorist acts commited against them from time to time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top