Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2004 10:01:42 AM EST
Any know if there are any known issues with firing +P+ rounds from the Sig P229? I'm speaking specifically to 9mm 124gr Hydra-Shok +P+
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 10:07:06 AM EST
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 10:11:30 AM EST
[Last Edit: 5/11/2004 10:15:06 AM EST by Alien]
I think Hydra-Shoks are +P if I'm not mistaken, and that would translate into less recoil? There is a site that shows about 50 different types of 9mm amunition fired into ballistic gelatin. Three different types of Hydra-Shoks were tested. Two of them utterly sucked. But the 124ish grain load that I have showed very good expansion, and was about the same as the Ranger/Black Talon rounds shown. The difference is the expanded Ranger rounds are like a flower (with petals) and the Hydra-Shoks are like a mushroom when they expand. I will link the site when I get home if I remember to do so . You can't really go wrong with Ranger SXTs or Speer Gold Dots or Hydra-Shoks. Corbon was also good I believe.

Do a search for Sig Forums on Google and I'm sure you'll find them. I would assume they'd be the best people to ask about all things Sig.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 10:22:48 AM EST
Yes the 229 can handle them just fine. I have fired thousands of these through older 226's, Beretta 92's and Glocks with zero problems. They will, as will all +P+ ammo, accelerate wear somewhat, but considering their price if you are the one paying (I was not) that will probably not be a big issue. This used to be the only game in town for a 124/127gr. +P+ level load, but the jackets do tend to blow off with some regularity. I think the SXT 127 +P+ is definitely a better load these days so that is my choice for serious 9mm use. The Gold Dot 124 +P is also a very good load, and does hold together better than the HydraShok as well. I have seen some Beretta's choke on the SXT bullet design but no Sigs as of yet.
Top Top