Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 4/17/2016 7:55:09 PM EST
[Last Edit: 4/17/2016 7:56:36 PM EST by guns762]
This thread is for those who want to learn more about Adventure bikes.

We have plenty of experts here who can walk new people through choosing the right bike and gear. They were outstanding in helping me pick a bike and gear.

Let's see those ADV bikes. Why did you pick the bike you ride? Would you choose something different next time?

What gear are you using? Jacket? Pants? Gloves? Helmet?

My Adventure bike, a 2005 DL650 VStrom. I bought it last summer on the advice here.

I bought a AFX-41DS helmet from Helmetcountey.com last summer.
http://helmetcountry.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=6935

Pros-

It fits my head well. After a long ride my head has no sore spots Love the drop down internal visor. Exterior visor is something I thought I didn't need, but it's great for early mornings and evenings when the sun is low. Love the quick release chin strap buckle.

Cons-
Little loud at highway speeds. I use ear pro, but I can tell it's a little louder than my last helmet.
The external visor can catch the wind in heavy cross winds and wears your neck out pretty quick.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 6:56:45 AM EST
[Last Edit: 4/18/2016 6:59:29 AM EST by guns762]
When I first decided I needed a motorcycle, I figured they all rode roughly the same. The cruiser style was what most of my friends had, and most common in my area. I didn't want to race, just ride for day rides in my area. I figured the cruiser style would be great. It wasn't.

For me, the cruiser was very uncomfortable to ride for very far. I could only ride it for about 45min, before my back hurt, and I would have to stop and stand up for a while. I've ridden for 3 hrs at a time this spring on the VSTROM without my back sending the pain signal.

Gas milage. The Yamaha did not get bad milage for a cruiser, I got 44mpg at about 65mph. I hated going that fast on the cruiser as it felt like the engine was at high RPM, only 5 gears. The loud pipes also sucked bad. Yeah, everyone thought they sounded cool, except me, at 75mph.
The suzuki DL650 with the extra toothed gear added by the previous owner gets 59mpg at 70mph. With the 5 gal tank, I don't constantly have to watch my fuel. The Yamaha with 4 gal, was something I had to keep an eye on.

I'm far from an expert and still discovering differences between my Vstrom and my old Yamaha 1100 V star cruiser. I still haven't had the Strom out in the dirt enough yet to get a good feel for it on forest roads and BLM desert.

Even though the vstar had an 1100, the 650 Strom seems much quicker and easier to ride at 75mph. Part of that is the 200lb difference between them, I'm sure.

Also, I see people talk about how tall and high center of gravity the adv bikes are and how that will effect you in the wind. I found the Suzuki to be much easier to ride in the heavy cross winds. It just pivots easier under you. Similarly, cornering, the 650 carves the corners, while the cruiser plowed through them. It felt like a tractor in the handling dept. That 200lbs has to be most of that.

Those are just a few things that I wish I had known before buying my first bike.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 7:49:36 PM EST
Where are all the cool bikes? Those KTMs, BMWs, Versys, Tigers, .....what am I forgetting?
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:08:05 PM EST
I'm watching waiting for some ideas.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 11:46:08 AM EST
[Last Edit: 4/24/2016 11:47:14 AM EST by guns762]
I know someone here has a Kawasaki Versys. ..... I saw one parked at the hotel I stayed at this week. Great looking bike.

How do you like it? 650 or 1000? What are it's strengths? How do you have it set up?
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 1:33:00 PM EST
Here is my 2014 DL650a. I am by no means an expert. Just started riding 3 years ago, mid-life crisis thing.

Jacket is a Tourmaster mesh and I have an HJC modular helmet (I am looking for another helmet, I really want something quieter that wont break the bank.)

Top Top