Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/9/2006 9:30:57 PM EDT
Anybody watching the hearings tomorrow should post in this thread. That way people who cannot watch can be kept updated.

*one of the issues to be brought up (I was personally assured by Dianne Feinstein) is Federal regulation of firearms

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:33:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:33:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll be one of those who can't watch, so TAGGED.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:34:43 PM EDT
[#3]
tag.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:35:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:36:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah.  tag..

[Homer Simpson] "Lousy Democrats!" [/Homer Simpson]
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:49:03 PM EDT
[#6]
tag
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:52:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Cant tag but I will be watching.

Is their a "batting schedule"?  Not particularly interested in what the GOP senators have to say, just fineswine, chuckles, and Bourbon goggles Kennedy..
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:57:24 PM EDT
[#8]
That poor bastard is going to get the third degree.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:59:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Wow... the official thread and not one update.

Ah.. updates!!! YES!
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:14:37 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
That poor bastard is going to get the third degree.

... He is doing fine. I'm quite hopeful we're getting him on the bench.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:26:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Stupid liberal:  "So, Mister Alito, how many partial birth abortions have you personally performed?"

Alito:  "Well, none.  I'm not a doctor."

Stupid liberal:  "And you expect the people of the United States of America to allow such a radical extremist hell bent on overturning thirty years of freedom to be put in a position of power?  What is wrong with you?  I suppose now you are going to tell me it isn't George Bush's fault?"

Alito:  "What isn't George Bush's fault?"

Stupid liberal:  "Oh my God!  Why are we even having this discussion?  If you can't even agree to such a simple fact as it is George Bush's fault, I don't think I can support your nomination.  I am calling for an immediate fillibuster, for the safety of the children of this country.  I cannot , in good consience, allow someone like yourself to hold a position of any authority."
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:27:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Filthy commies.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:59:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Orrin Hatch is up now and slapping Alito critics.

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:06:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Now on break but Alito was talking about how he believes the judiciary has  a limited role and SCOTUS needs to be careful in it's decisions because it is the last court in the country.

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:07:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Picture a boat floating in the water. Alito is in the water trying to get in. Democratic Senators are smashing him with paddles trying to keep him out and Republican Senators are trying to throw him a life preserver. This is the nature of these hearings.

Too bad the Republicans don't smack the Democrats that hard. Enough with the "my esteemed friend" or "all due respect Senator So-and-So" crap. How about a little "STFU you hypocritical drunken perverted baby killer".

Roy d...If he fails, it won't be the first person Uncle Teddy let drown.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:40:23 AM EDT
[#16]
TAG
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:45:27 AM EDT
[#17]
now they are bitching that he has judged cases on dicrimination, and thrown some out of court, with out the jury even getting the case.... IIRC the judge has the right to throw the case out if it is BS
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:49:08 AM EDT
[#18]
damn he just threw the fact that oconner agreed with him in there face, and they say she did not , they are reading in to oconners statement and going "i think what she meant" its fucking BS when they "read" what they want out of it
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:58:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Ole Teddy Kennedy griping about the 4th admendment rights being important to Alito was great also - I guess he needs that one to be upheld to protect his evidence of Mary Jo Kopechne's demise...
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:02:16 AM EDT
[#20]
"Sen. Kennedy, with all due respect, it is obvious to me and everyone else that you will not vote to affirm my nomination regardless of my responses to your questions. In light of that observation, my pat response to all of your questions is, "LICK MY SWEATTY BALLS."

[Sen. Kennedy] "But what is your opinion on...."

[Alito] "LICK MY SWEATTY BALLS."

[Sen. Kennedy] "What do you think about...."

[Sen. Kennedy] "Do you have an opinion on...."

<<< why I will never be affirmed (let alone nominated) for the SCOTUS.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:03:35 AM EDT
[#21]
tag
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:04:46 AM EDT
[#22]
They are going to go eat lunch and Bourbon Kennedy is going to have a liquid lunch.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:04:46 AM EDT
[#23]
morning break

6 people got to talk a seventh was in the process
it seems even now, they bitch he answers they bitch... roundy round
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:06:54 AM EDT
[#24]
TAG
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:09:40 AM EDT
[#25]
It is hard to watch ted ' dunk em and run' kennedy pontificate about morals.  What a 2-faced sack of shit.  AN don't even get me started on sweinstain........
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:11:48 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
 I am calling for an immediate fillibuster, for the safety of the children of this country.  I cannot , in good consience, allow someone like yourself to hold a position of any authority."

Why not? Look at the position of responsibility you have?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:22:42 AM EDT
[#27]
HAHAHA

a caller on CSPAN

"You have to remember that more people have died in Kennedy's Oldsmoblie, then in Guantanamo bay"
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:42:02 AM EDT
[#28]
alito just ace'd a RKBA question
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:44:00 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I just go the last minute of that can someone fill me in
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:46:02 AM EDT
[#30]
tag
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:49:22 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just go the last minute of that can someone fill me in

me too
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:50:42 AM EDT
[#32]
they asked him why he decided like he did on a few recent gun cases

he responce on one was that he did not see, nor was there juridistiion shown in the cases, ie the prosicuter never brought up the right of the fed .gov to regulate the said weapon. he stated in his ruling that if the fed .gov had brought it up he might have ruled another way.

basicly he just gave the perfect legal answer to why he ruled like he did, explaining the laws and how they did not apply

edit to add 2 things... you cant fault anyone for doing what the laws say and explaining them using precident showing the same thing

and by aceing i mean not giving them anything they can bitch about by following and stating the laws he followed and the precident that lead to the laws
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:59:38 AM EDT
[#33]
So this is all just to see if he gets to be a judge in SCOTUS? I thought he did something wrong and was being grilled like the 9/11 commisssion or something.

This is basically a job interview being performed by people who don't want him to hire him?

Boy, I sure would like them to do this sort of thing for some of the Dems when they are up for re-election... seems only fair.

This whole thing just seems like a colossal waste of time and tax payer money and is so blatantly partisan you couldn't shake a c-hair with out hitting a hypocrite in that panel of asshats.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:01:44 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
So this is all just to see if he gets to be a judge in SCOTUS? I thought he did something wrong and was being grilled like the 9/11 commisssion or something.

This is basically a job interview being performed by people who don't want him to hire him?

Boy, I sure would like them to do this sort of thing for some of the Dems when they are up for re-election... seems only fair.

This whole thing just seems like a colossal waste of time and taxt payer money and is so blatantly partisan you couldn't shake a c-har with out hitting a hypocrite in that panel of asshats.

perfect statment
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:17:21 AM EDT
[#35]
Finswine is up next!!!mega bump.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:40:31 AM EDT
[#36]
She's Bringing up the machinegun dealer case.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:44:05 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

"particularly the Chinese model"
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:44:12 AM EDT
[#38]
Just because you can't wrap your ugly-ass skull around it doesn't mean it's wrong, bitch.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:45:11 AM EDT
[#39]
I would love Alito to say " What part of the 2nd Amendment don't you undterstand bitch!?"
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:45:43 AM EDT
[#40]
I think alito is doing good with this, and feinstine had a fair veiw on his desintion
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:47:13 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

7.62 millimeter submachine gun

I think Alito has done very well today. Barring any Democrat Fillibuster it looks as though he may be confirmed.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:48:12 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

She makes a lot of assumptions, and none of her questions really leads to anything significant. I think he pretty much defused her.

Now she's moving on to the family medical act. No joy for Feinstein.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:50:15 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

She makes a lot of assumptions she can't support, and none of her questions really leads to anything significant. I think he pretty much defused her.

Now she's moving on to the family medical act. No joy for Feinstein.

Am I the only thinking that he is telling her she is clueless?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:52:45 AM EDT
[#44]
I have absolutely nothing of any value to say other than the quite obvious observation that DiFi is a worthless piece of shit. I hate that woman.

Now back to all you smart guys.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:55:09 AM EDT
[#45]
ughh... she really really needs to shut up.

"that's not the question i asked!!!"
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:56:16 AM EDT
[#46]
The bitch still has 11 minutes  
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:57:53 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

I think it's obvious she is outclassed, I think she knows it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:05:49 PM EDT
[#48]
DiFi.

When you absolutely, positively have to be the ugliest bitch in the room.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:08:04 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
HAHAHA

a caller on CSPAN

"You have to remember that more people have died in Kennedy's Oldsmoblie, then in Guantanamo bay"

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:18:24 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think it's obvious she is outclassed, I think she knows it.

99% of that panel is outclassed.... Alito is saying shit that they cannot even comprehend.

He is a Judge, which means he is a helluva lot smarter than they are regarding the Constitution and the Law.
I don't care if they are senators... they still don't understand what he is trying to say.

Hell, even in the machine gun cases he made notes that the .gov could make these "non-issues" if they would just place
jurisdiction clauses in the laws, or if they would clarify interstate commerce more clearly.

He adhered to the law regarding the machine gun cases based on what was current law. I personally am glad
that he Judged a landmark case regarding interstate commerce. Interstate commerce is a lot more important than
people really understand. The federal government and interstate commerce basically restrict so many things that
states and individuals can do.

States rights can either be helped or harmed by laying down an affirmative definition of what is considered "interstate"... which will more than likely follow in the next few months because of Alito's confirmation.

Alito's confirmation is a two edged sword that most people here are not realizing.

He adheres to the law in a very professional and strict manner.

If someone represents a case against the second amendment and brings up the part of  "A well regulated militia", then we could be in a world of hurt.... How would the SCOTUS determine what is considered a regulated militia, national guard ?

I love Alito and what he stands for... but everyone shouldn't be jumping for joy because they think they will suddenly be able to file a Form 1 and make their own machine gun... Aint gonna happen like that.

Someone has to get busted by the Feds and the case has to make it to the SC before the interstate commerce clause can even be argued. If someone decides that "interstate" means any gun that was not made in your own state, then you are screwed. If you made the receiver and auto sear yourself.... then you may have a chance.

This is not a cut and dry case of  "we will all be able to get machine guns".... I really hope that most of you understand that.

Time will tell.... someone will file a Form 1, be denied, get busted then go to court. If they want to win they will have to have correctly filed the Form 1, Made the firearm themselves or bought it from a manufacturer in their state. This would be a pretty clear case for the 1986 machine gun ban to be thrown out, but even at that it will have to set a new pressidence on what is defined as interstate commerce.

Hold on... they are discussing it now.

ETA:

Fuck, now this guy is suggesting that congress get right on the 922 issue to put in a jurisdictional element. All I can say is... that if there is any chance to grandfather new machine guns someone is going to have to do what I posted above... File the Form 1, get denied, get bust and go to the SC and win the case.... then there would be a very small window where people could file Form 1's before congress gets an amendment passed on 922 "o", I believe it is.

There is a chance that there could be a grandfather period... but someone has to go to jail first. Any takers ?

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top