Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/8/2003 10:13:05 AM EDT
Hello
Ok I have used gunkote for quite a while but now I want to give duracoat a shot. Has anybody out there tried BOTH? if so what are some of your thoughts and impresions?

IPSC_GUY sends

Link Posted: 12/8/2003 10:45:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hello
Ok I have used gunkote for quite a while but now I want to give duracoat a shot. Has anybody out there tried BOTH? if so what are some of your thoughts and impresions?

IPSC_GUY sends

View Quote

Definately try Lauer.  No "Requirement" to bake cure, although that is optional, I feel it is a more 'durable' finish (I have no problem letting people take a key across something I painted, it usually just leaves a grey streak, from the key).  Prolly wouldn't recommend this, but just to give you an idea about it.  By the time you are scratching it, you are digging out what it is attached to.

Lauer Weaponry are Good People.  They will help you out a BUNCH to get you started.  

If you have used Gunkote, you probably already have the needed equpment (spray equipment thinners, etc.), so give it a try!  $30 camo pack of 4-5 color gives you 8-10 oz of paint to work with, and more than enough hardener.  Much more drip/sag resistant than other paints (you need to TRY HARD to get it to sag/run), single pass color coat, cures to touch/tape in an hour at room temp.  

IM Me or email brass at chameleonweponry.com if you are starting up a DIY project, I can give you a bit of the extra info I have figgered out to make things go 'smoother' with Lauer products (which is all I use).
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 1:23:11 PM EDT
[#2]
havn't used both.

i like duracoat.  i've had LCW do a few things for me and have been more than pleased with the results.  they are nice people and local (for me anyway) and that is reason enough for them to get more of my bidness.

of course they're a nfa dealer so i get to put my dirty hands on some cool stuff when i go there too.  
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 4:30:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Check out [url]http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=90594[/url] for a previous discussion regarding this.   According to Gunplumber from ARS, Duracoat is simply repackaged Sherman Williams epoxy paint, of course marked up several hundred percent.

Rocko
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top