Posted: 8/4/2005 7:28:18 AM EDT
Battle to Save the Gun Industry Moves to the House
-- Rep. Musgrave working to remove anti-gun amendment
Gun Owners of America
8001 Forbes Place, Suite 102
Springfield, VA 22151
(703)321-8585
Wednesday, August 3, 2005

Last week, GOA alerted you to legislation passed in the Senate (S. 397) that will protect gun makers from frivolous lawsuits.

Unfortunately, S. 397 passed with some unwanted baggage -- specifically, an amendment offered by Sen. Herb Kohl (D-WI) requiring gun dealers to include a "lock-up-your-safety" device with every handgun sold.

In addition to imposing a "gun tax" on every handgun buyer, this amendment paves the way for future legislation mandating that gun owners use those trigger locks. Many gun owners don't use locking devices because they want instant protection during a moment of crisis. That should be their choice.

So GOA is now working with Colorado Rep. Marilyn Musgrave (R) to get this obnoxious provision stripped out of the bill. She will be sending a letter to House Speaker Dennis Hastert and Majority Leader Tom DeLay, asking them to NOT approve the Senate bill.

Rather, the Musgrave letter asks these two leaders to push the House bill, H.R. 800, which provides lawsuit immunity for gun makers and sellers, without endangering average gun owners. H.R. 800 has been well received in the House, as it currently has a whopping 257 cosponsors.

Rep. Musgrave needs additional cosignatories before she sends her letter. And this is where we need your help.

ACTION: Please ask your Representative to sign onto the Musgrave letter opposing the "lock-up-your-safety" provision in S. 397. She needs as many Congressional signatures as possible to show the House leadership that there is a groundswell of support for pushing the House bill, H.R. 800, rather than just taking the Senate version at face value.

You can visit the Gun Owners Legislative Action Center at http://www.gunowners.org/activism.htm to send your Representative a pre-written e-mail message such as the one below.

--- Pre-written letter ---
Dear Representative:

As you know, the Senate recently passed much-needed lawsuit protection for the gun industry (S. 397). But this bill passed with some unwanted baggage -- specifically, an amendment offered by Sen. Herb Kohl (D-WI) requiring gun dealers to include a "lock-up-your-safety" device with every handgun sold.

In addition to imposing a "gun tax" on every handgun buyer, this amendment paves the way for future legislation mandating that gun owners use those trigger locks.

Many gun owners don't use locking devices because they want instant protection during a moment of crisis. Mandatory trigger locks will actually cost lives by rendering self-defense firearms ineffective in an emergency situation.

I urge you to sign onto a letter being circulated by Rep. Marilyn Musgrave which deals with real efforts to gain lawsuit protection for gun makers and gun dealers, without endangering ordinary gun owners.

The letter asks the House leadership to push H.R. 800, a lawsuit protection bill that contains no gun control, rather than its Senate counterpart. H.R. 800 has been well received in the House, as it currently has 257 cosponsors.

America deserves a clean bill which offers real protection for gun makers and dealers. Thank you very much.

Sincerely,
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:29:31 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 8:36:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/4/2005 8:37:23 AM EDT by Max_Mike]

Originally Posted By shotar:
No thanks. Far too alarmist for my taste. Cry wolf once too often and that sorta thing.

I agree GOA has the impact of a wet pillow in Washington.

If you want to affect the outcome of this bill contacting you legislators is a good idea… and the NRA.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 8:40:37 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 8:47:36 AM EDT

Originally Posted By shotar:
No thanks. Far too alarmist for my taste. Cry wolf once too often and that sorta thing.

+1

They were the ones that sent out bulletins saying last week's triumph in the senate was "gun control."

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 8:53:44 AM EDT

Originally Posted By NewbHunter:
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=375220

From a few days ago...
ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=375365

FWIW (and I know I'm repeating myself), I support the GOAs goals and intentions in principle.
In reality I think they're alarmists and have high expectations.

Would have I prefered that the immunity bill passed with no gun lock amenedment? Sure, but if that's what it took to get the bill passed, then I'm all for it. I don't see the issue as any real threat, danger or infringement to my right to "keep and bear arms". As has been mentioned frequently, most manufactuers supply them and new guns come with the damn things anyways. IMHO, we gave up very little (if anything), and got a lot back in return.

Given the huge bipartisan support the trigger lock amendment had, it's highly unlikely that it will be removed from the bill.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:17:33 AM EDT
Bump

Top Top