Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2012 1:34:09 PM EDT
Move over Republicans and Democrats — there’s a new political party in town. And according to its founder, this new party, launched and comprised of atheists, is seeking to speak to a more unheard audience.

Back in October, The Blaze explored whether non-believers were beginning to wage a global campaign that would enable them to gain sociopolitical power. Here, in America, there’s now new evidence that atheists are seeking to do just that.

Enter the National Atheist Party, a 527 political party (a non-profit that cannot specifically support candidates — only issues) that is believed to be the first of its kind in American history. Troy Boyle, a 45-year-old corporate legal representative, teamed up with one of his friends to launch the initiative centered upon the core belief that God doesn’t exist.

According to RNS, Boyle got the idea to launch a political party after watching an interview with well-known atheist Richard Dawkins. During the media appearance, the famed non-believer apparently wondered why atheists don’t organize more fervently to more profoundly influence politics.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/freethinkers-launch-progressive-national-atheist-political-party/
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:35:58 PM EDT
Democrats and Liberals
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:40:56 PM EDT
Another moon-bat movement.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:42:55 PM EDT
uh-oh
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:47:25 PM EDT
What's that about politics and religion not mixing?

It may not have a deity at its center, but it takes just as much faith to believe that there is no god, than to believe that there is one.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:48:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By South_Side_Shooter:

...launched and comprised of atheists...

composed of, not comprised of. the wolves compose the pack. the pack comprises the wolves.

why can't the writers of blogs be bothered to learn how to write properly? at least newspapers had editors. even MS word has a grammar check.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:49:10 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:54:02 PM EDT
Originally Posted By cosmo05:

Yes because electing people who openly worship ghosts is so much more rational.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:56:02 PM EDT

Originally Posted By South_Side_Shooter: the famed non-believer apparently wondered why atheists don’t organize more fervently to more profoundly influence politics.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/freethinkers-launch-progressive-national-atheist-political-party/

It could just be that most atheists don't like any organized religion or free thought and want to remain independent individuals.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:59:46 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Doucheatron3000:
What's that about politics and religion not mixing?

It may not have a deity at its center, but it takes just as much faith to believe that there is no god, than to believe that there is one.

For strong atheists, sure.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:03:24 PM EDT
This is outstanding! It's about time that the Atheists stood up for their disbeliefs and started taking on the Judeo-Christian establishment that founded America!
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:04:17 PM EDT
Liberals in thin disguise.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:04:51 PM EDT
Sure, but it's still the Groucho syndrome where you really don't want to be a part of any organization that seeks you as a member.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:05:07 PM EDT
So a lot of folks here on ARFCOM will be flocking to this movement, yes?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:05:44 PM EDT
Originally Posted By motown_steve:
This is outstanding! It's about time that the Atheists stood up for their disbeliefs and started taking on the Judeo-Christian establishment that founded America!

Or laid down, as the case may be.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:06:42 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Furious:
Originally Posted By cosmo05:

Yes because electing people who openly worship ghosts is so much more rational.

When my fat body has a heart attack, my ghost is gonna haunt your ass!!!!

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:06:48 PM EDT
Originally Posted By nightstalker:
Sure, but it's still the Groucho syndrome where you really don't want to be a part of any organization that seeks you as a member.

Agreed.

I'm an "atheist", but I wouldn't associate with these douchebags.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:07:04 PM EDT
In a country that forbids the government from establishing a religion, a political party is established to prevent the government from establishing a religion.

Whatever.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:07:08 PM EDT
Good.

Let them bleed off a few democrat votes.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:08:30 PM EDT
Originally Posted By walttx:
uh-oh

As an atheist, readers are invited to note that, politically, their problem is their Leftism; not their 'religion'.

OK?

Y'all (I mean ever' body) can make this into a religious issue if.............whatever, GD.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:15:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/4/2012 2:33:19 PM EDT by DriftPunch]

Originally Posted By Zaphod:

Nope...

IMO, it's a power play and nothing more. A good way to make some leftist bucks.

It would be FAR better for the country as a whole to launch a campaign against scientific illiteracy. ID'ers are even welcome. I fear a country full of dolts that think that mobile phones are powered and enabled by magic much more than I fear Fallwell's decedents.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:22:58 PM EDT

A person is not defined by what they don't believe in, rather it is what one does believe in that matters.

If you believe in A god, then you believe that all of your morals and values are derived from that god. I don't believe in the supernatural. I do have morals and values; I just derive them from another source. That does not mean that my values coincide with those of everyone else in the world who does not believe in supernatural things.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:24:05 PM EDT
Aw, crap. Are they gonna' be a bunch of dicks?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:31:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/4/2012 2:31:43 PM EDT by hotbiggun42]
Below is a copy of their mission satement.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:31:23 PM EDT
”The National Atheist Party is open to all faiths, if they share our goals. We are not, as a Party, attacking the evident basis of religion and recognize that would be impossible and counter-productive. This is not an organization that seeks to defeat religion. Our goal is to seek legislation that is free of religious bias in our government. We support the right of any individual to practice anything they want as long as that observance is performed at home, in their church, synagogue or mosque. We do not seek to limit the freedom of religious expression in any way, but where multiple traditions collide, including public schools, workplace, government facilities and the courts, religion should be prudently absent. From the perspective of the National Atheist Party, government and the agencies of government, should not promote or endorse any one religion or ideology over any other. To do so is to violate the spirit and the intent of the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment and to deny the intent of the framers of the U.S. Constitution.”
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:04:07 PM EDT

As long as they bleed off leftist voters, I say more power to them.......... of course, they don't believe in any such "power" as such.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:27:03 PM EDT
alright..

who Nader back in the building?!?!
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:49:37 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Mr_Harry:
Democrats and Liberals

40% of Arfcom.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:53:29 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:56:32 PM EDT

Nah. It's likely a bunch of loons on the economic Left.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:58:51 PM EDT
I'm forming a party the Conservative Atheist of America as I don't like the liberal ideas they are espousing.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:59:26 PM EDT
Can't wait for the convention..

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:02:50 PM EDT
So a lot of folks here on ARFCOM will be flocking to this movement, yes? .gif" />

Not hardly.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:05:57 PM EDT
Originally Posted By wingnutx:
Good.

Let them bleed off a few democrat votes.

Agreed, this party is a good thing!
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:14:19 PM EDT
Great, they can sit right between the Pansexual Peace Party and the Canary Party at the kid's table.

political parties
Top Top