Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/15/2004 12:18:45 AM EDT
I love that show...Best non-comedy show on tv (just my opinion) If you watch the show, who is your favorite character and why?
My favorite character is Charlie, mostly because Dominic Monaghan plays him, but also because I like his character. He keeps thinking his band is going to get back together and adds comical relief etc...I want to see what happens when he runs out of drugs...That's got to be interesting...

Link Posted: 10/15/2004 12:26:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah I've been watching it, mainly because I like stories of being shipwrecked and that type of thing.  It throws in a little bit of a scifi thing with the unseen monster stuff too, I'm quite interested to find out what it is, probably be stupid or hokey though...

My favorite character is the older bald guy, I just forgot his name though...  He's the one with the nice knife collection...
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 12:29:05 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Yeah I've been watching it, mainly because I like stories of being shipwrecked and that type of thing.  It throws in a little bit of a scifi thing with the unseen monster stuff too, I'm quite interested to find out what it is, probably be stupid or hokey though...

My favorite character is the older bald guy, I just forgot his name though...  He's the one with the nice knife collection...

I also like the who stuck on an island thing. I am still trying to figure out the polar bear thing...My friend and I had a theory that they were in the Bermuda Triangle, but quickly got rid of that because that's more than a thousand miles off Australia. Not expecting too much out of the monster, but it's still an awesome show lol

Mr. Locke is the guy with the knife collection.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 12:38:41 AM EDT
[#3]
I watched the promo, the one that showed the crash.
As soon as I saw the engine I said "fuck that shit".
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 12:40:29 AM EDT
[#4]
I like the polar bear. $hit most of those people are a bunch of idiots.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 2:39:32 AM EDT
[#5]
I saw part of the pilot and watched this week's episode.

After the guy pulled out the gun and killed the attacking polar bear, what was the most sensible thing to do?  That's right!  Get mad at the guy for having a gun, and then separate the gun and the ammo.  Yeah, that was realistic.  Sorry, but Rodeo Drive values won't get you through a survival situation when there are wild animals attacking.

The jet engine revving up and down was bogus, but if they were going to do that the writers should have had a dazed passenger wander in front of it for dramatic effect.

And now they have a fuselage full of charbroiled bodies.  Yep.  That took care of the problem.

I'll give it another episode to get my interest.  Having been through SV-80, I'll watch a survival based show to see what the sheep do.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 3:00:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 3:01:29 AM EDT
[#7]
It's a very good show.  I swear to God, some of you people want everyday shmucks flying on a plane to have the sense and know-how of a survival-trained tracker.  These people are supposed to be tourists, dumbasses.  The show isn't about freaking R Lee Ermy lost in the outback, it's about a bunch of dumbass Joes thrown together in a place that doesn't seem to follow the rules.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 3:03:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Havent seen it, doenst sound like Im missing much
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 3:04:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Excellent post and analysis, TJ. Agreed.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 3:05:04 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The jet engine revving up and down was bogus, but if they were going to do that the writers should have had a dazed passenger wander in front of it for dramatic effect.

Were you watching the pilot?  A dazed passenger DID wander into one of the running engines, causing it to explode.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 3:06:13 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Were you watching the pilot?  A dazed passenger DID wander into one of the running engines, causing it to explode.

I missed that part.  I stumbled into the latter part of the pilot.

I saw the engine on this past episode.  Sorry I missed that part!
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 3:13:47 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
It's a very good show.  I swear to God, some of you people want everyday shmucks flying on a plane to have the sense and know-how of a survival-trained tracker.  These people are supposed to be tourists, dumbasses.  The show isn't about freaking R Lee Ermy lost in the outback, it's about a bunch of dumbass Joes thrown together in a place that doesn't seem to follow the rules.

Rik,

The premise of the show is good.  One thing that makes a show interesting is its level of believability, enabling the viewer to be drawn into the plot and action.  

For example, in the science fiction genre I liked Babylon 5 because the writers had a good grasp on human nature.  However, Voyager just had no credibility with me.  The writers ruined the Star Trek legacy by injecting their PC philosophies into it.  

For example, there was an episode where Q, being enlightened by Federation values, saw the error of his ways, repented, and wanted to make a baby with Captain Janeway.  First, Q was not a character in need of reform.  He was the foil against which our values were tested.  The writers emasculated him.  Also, if I want to see higher life forms mating with lower species I'll watch Jerry Springer.

Anyway, some parts of Lost have merit, but a more realistic response after the shooting of the bear would be, "Where can we get more guns?!"

Sorry if this rambled, but I'm in a caffeine deficit.  I'm going to fix that now...
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 3:14:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Sawyer is currently my favorite, simply for his smartass one-liners.  Plus, I think he'll do a bit of growing and come out an ok guy.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 3:16:03 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Rik,

The premise of the show is good.  One thing that makes a show interesting is its level of believability, enabling the viewer to be drawn into the plot and action.  

I disagree.  I think the people are fairly believable...frankly, most people I meet are NOT prepared for situations like that and would act just as stupid.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 3:17:25 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I disagree.  I think the people are fairly believable...frankly, most people I meet are NOT prepared for situations like that and would act just as stupid.

In that light, I concede the point.  You are indeed right there.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 3:21:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 3:36:53 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

In that light, I concede the point.  You are indeed right there.

Funny I was thinking most of the people Rik must know are liberals with endless supplies of Perrie!

Tj

Hehe, actually most people I know are pretty apolitical, but a lot of my casual acquaintances are very much city-folk that have spent very little time away from the creature comforts.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 3:41:08 AM EDT
[#18]
I've watched every episode except the first half of the pilot (the entire first show).
What happened to the bounty hunter?  I didnt hear any mention of him in last night's episode, I assume he died from that lung shot?

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 3:51:26 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I've been watching it from a survival aspect while browsing the web.

The liberal media aspect of the series is a tad hard to swallow with one of the "Good Guy" lead roles being an Iraqi Republican Guard member, polictical statement here, and those that would be the most liability in a crisis being the doer bees.  A girl is the macho go into the boonies while the macho male lead, the doctor, stays home even though he has a crush on the girl, social statement here.  It gets worse as a crippled wannabe gets up from his wheel chair to bag a wild boar with just a knife in his hand accompanied by an inner city black and of course you have the drug taking rock and roller going on many of the dangerous missions and bagging the fish.   Meanwhile everyone else constantly wonders around for over four hours of show not doing anything nor is their any characterization or even the same people in the background.  Let's not forget the valley girl with bad attitude and obese guy that's a hero in the making.  Of course, guns are bad and even though monstors are killing folks let's not have guns. Of course the only conservatives one dies and the other is an asshole. Naturaly let's not say a prayer or read from a bible at the memorial service for all the dead but just read the manifest list. There's more liberal political social statements in this series than you can shake a stick at.  

It's plot is so far fetched and drawn out that it's lost my interest.  The kind of Dr. Moreau's island concept is tad worn and now the Stephen King like dissappearing man in black suit that only one man can see is comical.  I keep thinking Salem Lot meets Dr. Moreau meets Gillgans Island.

I thougoughly enjoyed the giant jet engine running full blast anchoured to nothing and no fuel source sucking people into it.  Well until I realized it wasn't suppose to be a comedy that is.

IMHO, it's only saving grace is the setting and cinamtography.

Tj  

That pissed me off
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 3:53:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Have they told the Republican Guard member's story?  Maybe he was drafted and then defected?

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 3:58:28 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I've watched every episode except the first half of the pilot (the entire first show).
What happened to the bounty hunter?  I didnt hear any mention of him in last night's episode, I assume he died from that lung shot?

Kharn

Actually, I got the impression that the doc smothered him and put him out of his misery.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:02:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Yep, Jack put him out of his considerable misery.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:13:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Haven't seen last nights episode and part of the previous one. (got them all recorded)
I don't have a favorite charactor yet, but I am curious as hell to find out what the chick did that is "so dangerous".
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:42:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Reading this thread, all I can say is: why in God's name would anybody want to watch the amoral stupidity and craven formula of network television? Hear that gigantic sucking sound? It's your brains, while watching this dreck....
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:44:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Ohhhhh, that explains things.  I thought the Doc was trying to stuff the wound to stop the bleeding. (Obviously I wasnt paying too much attention, I was surfing ARf while watching)

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:47:16 AM EDT
[#26]
I have been trying to catch it, but haven't been able to since the series premiere. Seems like every show I start to watch gets cancelled.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:51:00 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Reading this thread, all I can say is: why in God's name would anybody want to watch the amoral stupidity and craven formula of network television? Hear that gigantic sucking sound? It's your brains, while watching this dreck....

I watch it because it gets me away from the HELL of this election etc. for 60 minutes I can be somewhere else, no worries, no fighting, no name calling etc. If it sucks some of my braincells, then I guess I gain them all back from the time I spend on the net researching news so I can make an informed decision when I vote and listening to Fox News the rest of the time.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 5:03:38 AM EDT
[#28]
I got sucked into it for a couple of episodes because my wife wanted to see it, but there are some parts that were just dumb and had me bitching at the TV screen.

The dialogue isn't too great in some spots.  The bit where the cop is dying and saying over and over that "She's dangerous" but won't bother saying WHY is just stupid.  He knows he's dying, but he won't pass on what he knows to the Doc about a "dangerous" criminal? That's just dumb.  I could just see the writers singing like little kids, "Haha.  She's got a secret, and we won't tell you."  Very bad writing.

Also, my other big beef is with the 18-year-old distress message.  Not a single one of them ever thought of the very first thing that came to my head -- ELECTRICITY!!  If that distress signal has been transmitting for 18 years, then there is something generating power somewhere nearby.  If I were in a survival situation, I'd be looking for it.  It never even crossed their minds.  UGH.

It also means that there is another radio somewhere nearby -- maybe more powerful than their hand-held unit.  That might come in handy too!  Want it?  Nah....

I watched 3 episodes, but I just can't watch anymore.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 5:21:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Admiral:
Thats why Said (Iraqi dude, might have spelled his name wrong) built a directional antenna for their reciever and the criminal chick was going to use it to locate the source in this last episode.  She broke it while climbing a tree to use it more effectively.

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 5:30:12 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Admiral:
Thats why Said (Iraqi dude, might have spelled his name wrong) built a directional antenna for their reciever and the criminal chick was going to use it to locate the source in this last episode.  She broke it while climbing a tree to use it more effectively.

Kharn

Ah.  I didn't see the last episode.  I'd already given up on it once I saw the "ghosts" in the preview for the next episode.  I lost all interest in the show at that point.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 5:53:09 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kharn

Actually, I got the impression that the doc smothered him and put him out of his misery.

He wasn't a bounty hunter, he was a US Marshall.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 5:54:58 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I got sucked into it for a couple of episodes because my wife wanted to see it, but there are some parts that were just dumb and had me bitching at the TV screen.

The dialogue isn't too great in some spots.  The bit where the cop is dying and saying over and over that "She's dangerous" but won't bother saying WHY is just stupid.  He knows he's dying, but he won't pass on what he knows to the Doc about a "dangerous" criminal? That's just dumb.  I could just see the writers singing like little kids, "Haha.  She's got a secret, and we won't tell you."  Very bad writing.

Also, my other big beef is with the 18-year-old distress message.  Not a single one of them ever thought of the very first thing that came to my head -- ELECTRICITY!!  If that distress signal has been transmitting for 18 years, then there is something generating power somewhere nearby.  If I were in a survival situation, I'd be looking for it.  It never even crossed their minds.  UGH.

Umm...actually it DID.  Just this last episode the Iraqi guy rigged up some antennaes to be put in high ground to triangulate the source of the signal so they could find the power source.  What you and others seem to be forgetting is that they've only been on the island five days...
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 6:17:00 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Rik,

I wholeheartedly agree!
Most people don't have the sense to pour water out of a boot with the directions wrote on the sole!

There are a bunch of"'survival ninja's" here (as well as most websites!) and they would have no problem surviving if they were "Lost"!

Being "Lost" would be nothing like that "Survivor" game show crap that is so popular on Thursday nights!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 6:20:04 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kharn

I believe that is what happened.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 6:24:09 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Haven't seen last nights episode and part of the previous one. (got them all recorded)
I don't have a favorite charactor yet, but I am curious as hell to find out what the chick did that is "so dangerous".

******Possible spoiler below if you haven't seen the last 2 episodes.******
Mrs. G,
They eluded to her shooting her husband but didn't go into any details about it.

She was probably in a domestic abuse situation and busted a cap off in his BEEP!

That isn't PC so it would be "So dangerous or so bad" as to cause alarm amongst the sheeple!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 6:25:43 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Ohhhhh, that explains things.  I thought the Doc was trying to stuff the wound to stop the bleeding. (Obviously I wasnt paying too much attention, I was surfing ARf while watching)

Kharn

Hopefully you weren't 'Drinking and Posting' while watching it!

Bad things happen when those 2 are combined!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 6:28:04 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I watch it because it gets me away from the HELL of this election etc. for 60 minutes I can be somewhere else, no worries, no fighting, no name calling etc. If it sucks some of my braincells, then I guess I gain them all back from the time I spend on the net researching news so I can make an informed decision when I vote and listening to Fox News the rest of the time.

Preach on Sista Girl!

Watching to much election crap (esp. the d3mz) will suck more brain cells than Lost will.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 6:30:36 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

It also means that there is another radio somewhere nearby -- maybe more powerful than their hand-held unit.  That might come in handy too!  Want it?  Nah....

I watched 3 episodes, but I just can't watch anymore.

It was 16-1/2 years but we won't hold it against you.

Sayid and the 'Dangerous Criminal' chick, Kate, were trying to put up a triangulating receiver to find the transmission source.

My wife has not and will not watch it so I have to watch it by myself.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 6:37:36 AM EDT
[#39]
Not to nit pick, he was a US Marshall, not a bounty hunter.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 6:41:05 AM EDT
[#40]
The wife got me watching it and so far it's pretty interesting.  

I think Locke is a pretty interesting character and the way he acts makes you think he may know something the others don't.

I'm still not sure what to think about the strange things going on...
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 7:29:57 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
The wife got me watching it and so far it's pretty interesting.  

I think Locke is a pretty interesting character and the way he acts makes you think he may know something the others don't.

I'm still not sure what to think about the strange things going on...

The big difference in Locke is that the crash gave him a rebirth of sorts, the trauma of the crash somehow restoring the use of his legs.  His attitude is totally different from those who are worried about where their next mango is coming from.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 9:00:56 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 9:01:49 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Preach on Sista Girl!

Watching to much election crap (esp. the d3mz) will suck more brain cells than Lost will.

BigDozer66

If you have already made up your mind about the election, then shut off the idiot box, go read a book or spend time with the children. Or with others who value your company. Both activities will make you a better person and your world a better place.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 9:12:44 AM EDT
[#44]
I'm still waiting for the network to drop a gay character into the plot.

Any old farts out there remember a show called the "New People"?  Same plot, girls in tank tops, conflicts...the same old stuff.

I give the show until Thanksgiving.  At that point the holiday special preemptions come in and the show may not reappear next January.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 9:16:23 AM EDT
[#45]

I like the Locke character. Interesting. (of course on my last trip to "the islands" I took several of my knives with me so I got a kick out of Locke doing the same thing)  

I am enjoying the show, but you really have to turn off your rational mind to watch network tv.  All of the politically correct crap. (girl power, gun hate, bleeding heart liberal attitudes etc)

One of the biggest breaks from reality is that a plane can break in half at 40000 feet and drop to the ground and anyone can survive.  Doesn't happen in real life. People don't walk away from those kind of disasters.

As I say I am enjoying it and will continue watching it, but I only hope the writers/producers of this show actually have something in mind with all of the mysteries they have started.  (what is the monster, why or how could a polar bear be on the island etc)  I have seen shows like this where the writers had no idea how to solve those kind of mysteries etc and it ends up being a big waste of time watching the show. (as if tv isn't already a big waste of time LOL)  

Zen

"This is my rifle, there are many like it, but this one is mine"
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 9:18:02 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Holy crap I think I agree with RikWriter??
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 9:25:10 AM EDT
[#47]
Here's at theory...

Everyones really dead but Locke who is barely alive and dying and the whole show is just big dream/hallucination he is having before finally succumbing to death...
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 9:35:00 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
I'm still waiting for the network to drop a gay character into the plot.

Any old farts out there remember a show called the "New People"?  Same plot, girls in tank tops, conflicts...the same old stuff..

Yeah- lasted a year and a half- it was 45 min. long, tailed in with another 45min. long show hosted by David Steinberg called the Music Scene, about 1968. Both were duuuuumb shows. It's amazing how TV and movies just recycle and recombine the same old horse manure, year after year....

The New People series ended with them resigned to being stuck on their island, after they had finally found a searchlight and a generator left over from the USN in WW2. The searchlight broke, just as a ship sailed by, the first one they had seen ever, since they crash landed on the island, and they all went into a blue funk. What else could they do? The show had run out of ideas, and they all knew it.....
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 9:43:50 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 10:06:30 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Hehe, actually most people I know are pretty apolitical, but a lot of my casual acquaintances are very much city-folk that have spent very little time away from the creature comforts.

i don't watch much television so no comment on the show, but the comment on city folks rings true.

terri gross (npr) interviewed one of the male leads yesterday and the show sounded pretty off the wall to me.

what time/day is it aired? maybe i'll tape an episode for this winter.

Wednesdays at 8PM EST (7 Central) on ABC.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top