Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/15/2017 10:17:58 AM EST
After the horrific attack yesterday by James Thomas Hodgkinson on Republican Congressmen in Alexandria, VA. Members of Congress, including Republicans are already starting to circle the wagons and protect themselves from both actual threats of violence and perceived threats of violence but doing so in a manner that in no way actually solves the problem.

Republican Representative Barry Loudermilk of Georgia’s 11thCongressional District, which covers parts of Atlanta’s northern suburbs proposed that members of Congress and their Aides who are allowed to conceal carry a weapon in their home state would be able to in Washington DC.

In a statement to the Washington Examiner yesterday; Loudermilk said “First of all, if this had happened in Georgia, he wouldn’t have gotten too far. I had a staff member who was in his car, maybe 20 yards behind the shooter… who back in Georgia carries a nine millimeter in his car. I carry a weapon. He had a clear shot at him. But here, we’re not allowed to carry any weapons here… Most of us are here in D.C., so how are you supposed to have it here?”

"I think we need to look at some kind of reciprocity for members here,” Loudermilk further stated. “But also we need to look at security detail. If Scalise hadn’t been on our team, it would have been really bad.” Additionally Loudermilk said, “We aren’t any more special than anybody else, but we’re targets,” and “This is exactly why there’s a lot of fear of doing town halls at this point.”

Gee, that sounds a lot like National Carry Reciprocity. Sen. John Cornyn and Rep. Richard Hudson introduced legislation calling for nationwide reciprocity. Except Rep. Loudermilk’s proposal is only for members of Congress and not “WE THE PEOPLE”. How nice of him to clearly forget that normal everyday Americans are disarmed and left to fend for themselves without adequate means of protection. Rep. Loudermilk’s statement of “We aren’t any more special than anybody else, but we’re targets” clearly does state that he is more special. Sure, amongst Congress he’s not but among the other 300,000,000 Americans him and the other 534 members of Congress sure are.

Earlier  yesterday, Rep. Chris Collins (R) NY, said that he plans to carry a handgun at public events.

"If you look at the vulnerability, I can assure you from this day forward, I have a carrier permit. I will be carrying when I’m out and about,” Collins told ABC affiliate WKBW in Buffalo, NY. And Rep. James Clyburn (D) SC, the third-ranking House Democrat, said he wants to give lawmakers more flexibility to secure their homes and offices.

Furthermore, , Rep. James Clyburn said “For us to have a rule … that you can’t have security cameras in your offices unless you pay for them with your campaign — I just found that out this morning — or you can’t have security stuff in your homes?” Clyburn said. “I can’t tell you how many threats I’ve had against my home. In fact, I’ve had state police staying at home with my family.”

Rep. Tony Cárdenas (D) CA has urged Speaker of the House Paul Ryan (R) WI to fast-track new security measures for Congress. Cárdenas stated “Many of us receive threats. And it’s not that we get used to it. You’ve just got to hope and pray that people don’t follow up on those threats, but at any given moment they could, like we saw this morning,” Cárdenas said. “I personally stressed to the Speaker if we could put that on hyper drive and get those results and those decisions as quickly as possible.”

So you have one member of Congress flat out stating that they should get a Special Carve Out for reciprocity when it comes to carrying personal firearms for self defense and others wanting enhanced personal security details. All the while the common citizen is left defenseless in places like NYC and Washington DC and worse, those that can carry are stripped of their ability to when they cross over into States like New Jersey and New York.

So  much for a Representative Government where elected officials actually voice the concern of their constituents and the Constitutional Rights of “WE THE PEOPLE”.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 10:21:19 AM EST
The positive is that at least they are thinking of it. It isnt a lomg stretch to the next step.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 10:25:21 AM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Dace:
The positive is that at least they are thinking of it. It isnt a lomg stretch to the next step.
View Quote
Yep.

A response predicated on the concept of more guns in more places is a good thing. The disparate treatment of the politicians versus the people will not fly.

There have been several public statements acknowledging that the presence of armed good guys prevented a slaughter.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 10:25:55 AM EST
Well you knew that was coming
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 10:26:08 AM EST
Not surprised
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 10:27:09 AM EST
View Quote
When has that paid off?
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 10:28:11 AM EST
Wait, they've been following the rules til now? I thought they were above the law.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 10:28:21 AM EST
Republicans gonna Republican.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 10:28:25 AM EST
I am sure the NRA will be circling their wagons around calling out the hypocrisy.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 10:29:06 AM EST
Originally Posted By P400:
Wait, they've been following the rules til now? I thought they were above the law.
View Quote
Like when Jim Web's staffer was caught bringing web's gun into the Capital and NOTHING happened.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 10:30:23 AM EST
Additionally Loudermilk said, “We aren’t any more special than anybody else, but we’re targets,” and “This is exactly why there’s a lot of fear of doing town halls at this point.”
View Quote
I don't condone the kind of shit that happened yesterday, but maybe if you were honorable in your dealings as a representative of the people, you wouldn't have to worry about that kind of thing.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 10:30:46 AM EST
If it pleases the crown, may I also carry where I am not usually legally allowed to?
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 10:33:07 AM EST
Just pass a national reciprocity bill for all US citizens with a permit in their home state can carry in DC.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 10:33:20 AM EST
View Quote
Yes, because LEOSA is such a success in expanding gun rights for all. Special exemptions and carve outs for political figures isn't right.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 10:33:53 AM EST
View Quote
Funny how that works huh.

Fuck them, Congress should be held to the same privileges as the most restrictive state in the union.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 10:37:25 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/15/2017 10:39:03 AM EST by Miami_JBT]
Originally Posted By Chris_C:
Like when Jim Web's staffer was caught bringing web's gun into the Capital and NOTHING happened.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Chris_C:
Originally Posted By P400:
Under current federal law, Congressmen and those that they allow can have firearms in the Capitol and any of the attached buildings to it under jurisdiction. The current issue is by their view; Washington DC's ban on concealed carry reciprocity hurts them. So they have this sticky legal situation.

They can't legally bring guns into DC but they can have them in the Capitol. So the solution is they have Capitol Police bring in their shit. 

Jim Web's staffer got pinched because he was outside of the building.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 10:38:29 AM EST
Congressman Masse, R KY, will be introducing a bill proposing concealed carry reciprocity for Washington DC, as well as concealed carry permit issue, for ALL citizens. He hopes he can clear his schedule enough to introduce it today, perhaps tomorrow.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 10:38:39 AM EST
Originally Posted By Miami_JBT:
Yes, because LEOSA is such a success in expanding gun rights for all. Special exemptions and carve outs for political figures isn't right.
View All Quotes
That's certainly a valid point, but carry has expanded greatly since 2004 and way more people are sensitive to such ridiculous distinctions. It was enacted pre-Heller/McDonald, pre-Constitutional carry.

In an environment in which we have a realistic chance of getting reciprocity for the people, I still don't think that limiting it to the privileged will be politically viable.

I'm not betting on it though. Just my sense of it.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 10:38:54 AM EST
Originally Posted By slabertooch:

Congress should be held to the same privileges as the most restrictive state in the union.
View Quote
Yep, because you can guarantee once they get the privilege they will no longer be concerned if we get it or not.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 10:40:28 AM EST
I'm thoroughly surprised they haven't created some sort of security detail for every one of them 24/7 at our expense.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 10:41:04 AM EST
Originally Posted By floridahunter07:

I don't condone the kind of shit that happened yesterday, but maybe if you were honorable in your dealings as a representative of the people, you wouldn't have to worry about that kind of thing.
View Quote
WTF?
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 10:41:37 AM EST
Originally Posted By slabertooch:

Funny how that works huh.

Fuck them, Congress should be held to the same privileges as the most restrictive state in the union.
View Quote
Martha Stewart served two years in federal prison for what Congress does every.

Insider Trading

Good luck with that.

Oh, don't forget their carve out of ObamaCare and the failed attempt at RyanCare.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 10:42:24 AM EST
It is a good thing; the more that have it, the easier it will be to argue for Nat'l Reciprocity.
Originally Posted By spin-drift:

Yep, because you can guarantee once they get the privilege they will no longer be concerned if we get it or not.
View Quote
They're politicians... they'll be concerned if they it becomes an impediment to getting elected.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 10:42:57 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/15/2017 10:45:24 AM EST by callgood]
Meh, they should just adjourn to the bunkers at the Greenbrier and govern from there.

Four entrances; three to The Greenbrier's grounds and one to the main building

25-ton blast door that opens with only 50 lbs. of pressure

Decontamination chambers

18 dormitories, designed to accommodate over 1,100 people

Power plant with purification equipment and three 25,000-gallon water storage tanks

Three 14,000-gallon diesel fuel storage tanks

Communications area, including television production area and audio recording booths

Clinic with 12 hospital beds, medical and dental operating rooms

Laboratory

Pharmacy

Intensive care unit

Cafeteria

Meeting rooms for the House and Senate, the Governor's Hall and Mountaineer room
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 10:43:24 AM EST
The ass hats in congress need to get CCW permits and defend themselves just like the rest of us.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 10:45:46 AM EST
Originally Posted By mancow:
I'm thoroughly surprised they haven't created some sort of security detail for every one of them 24/7 at our expense.
View Quote
That would be a financial and logistical nightmare. 535 members of congress with 24/7 security details..... between days off, sick call, vacation, training, etc.... you're looking at another 5000 - 7000 armed law enforcement agents.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 10:48:28 AM EST
Originally Posted By markmars:
The ass hats in congress need to get CCW permits and defend themselves just like the rest of us.
View Quote
Loudermilk has one. He just wants Reciprocity for him and the other 534 members of Congress. Us? We can go fuck ourselves.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 10:48:40 AM EST
View Quote
What's the next step? They give no fucks if we have reciprocity...
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 10:50:03 AM EST
OP............this could be the MOST unsurprising news I have ever heard.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 10:51:53 AM EST
MAGA
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 10:54:05 AM EST
View Quote
It was reported yesterday that after Giffords was shot congress looked into providing 24/7 security for all congress critters but it was projected to cost 6 billion. Naturally it was shelved, but these elitist scumbags might say it is required after this for the good of the nation and to ensure our nations gov't functions fro its people.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 10:54:51 AM EST
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 10:54:51 AM EST
By in large the number of citizens that are the victim of violent crime far outnumbers the number of elected officials that are victims of violent crime.

It seems that Rep Loudermilk would do more to solve the problem by pushing National Reciprocity and allowing all citizens licensed to carry in their home state the ability to carry everywhere, not just some tiny carve out for them alone, when they account for what .0001% of the violent crime victims in this country.

Sorry Barry, if I can't carry in DC, then neither should you.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 10:56:50 AM EST
At least Kay Baily Hutchinson sued on behalf of all citizens of D.C.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 10:59:46 AM EST
Originally Posted By RDak:
OP............this could be the MOST unsurprising news I have ever heard.
View Quote
Loudermilk was supported by the NRA. He previously was a co-sponsor for national reciprocity in 2015. Is this incident from yesterday revealing his true colors or did he have a brain fart? Hopefully the NRA puts his feet to the fire and he does what the NRA endorsed him for doing in the past. 

If not.....

Link Posted: 6/15/2017 11:00:08 AM EST

Under current federal law, Congressmen and those that they allow can have firearms in the Capitol and any of the attached buildings to it under jurisdiction. The current issue is by their view; Washington DC's ban on concealed carry reciprocity hurts them. So they have this sticky legal situation.

They can't legally bring guns into DC but they can have them in the Capitol. So the solution is they have Capitol Police bring in their shit. 

Jim Web's staffer got pinched because he was outside of the building.
View Quote
DC reciprocity wont help them if they step over the imaginary line into MD, which has no reciprocity with anyone.

No, they will have to follow this to its logical conclusion of full national reciprocity.

Ibguess they will just have to add this to the share act as well.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 11:01:35 AM EST
Loudermilk has been for quite some time, a Co- Sponsor to the Constitutional Carry bill currently waiting a vote. He's also been an early and confirmed "yes" vote and has pushed national reciprocity as well as the hearing protection act.

Loudermilk has been a sentinel here in Georgia for gun rights and the proof of such is quite easy to find. I would take portions of his reported statements and carefully match to the context and the fact that he was also on that field and he himself, felt like a hunted animal.

I will say this as one who has closely watched this gentleman in local and state matters and I continue to watch him at the National level as he represents us Georgians exceedingly well.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 11:02:31 AM EST
This is a good start. The more politicians that carry the more they will realize it's more of a tool than a scary weapon.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 11:03:23 AM EST
Loudermilk was supported by the NRA. He previously was a co-sponsor for national reciprocity in 2015. Is this incident from yesterday revealing his true colors or did he have a brain fart? Hopefully the NRA puts his feet to the fire and he does what the NRA endorsed him for doing in the past. 

If not.....

http://loudermilkforcongress.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/NRA-Letter-791x1024.jpg
View Quote
I understand but THIS TIME Congress will pass what he is suggesting about them being allowed to carry.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 11:03:33 AM EST
Louie Gohmert was pushing the national reciprocity this morning on Breitbart News. He said it would not fly to try and push CCW for just Congress critters
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 11:03:55 AM EST
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 11:06:00 AM EST
Originally Posted By TecRsq:
Loudermilk has been for quite some time, a Co- Sponsor to the Constitutional Carry bill currently waiting a vote. He's also been an early and confirmed "yes" vote and has pushed national reciprocity as well as the hearing protection act.

Loudermilk has been a sentinel here in Georgia for gun rights and the proof of such is quite easy to find. I would take portions of his reported statements and carefully match to the context and the fact that he was also on that field and he himself, felt like a hunted animal.

I will say this as one who has closely watched this gentleman in local and state matters and I continue to watch him at the National level as he represents us Georgians exceedingly well.
View Quote
In Florida, State Sen. Anitere Flores had a spectacular record of backing pro-gun bills until the last minute this year I truly hope that Representative Loudermilk had a brain fart and will correct himself. But if yesterday he showed his true colors then we need to dig deeper into it. 

He made a statement in that Congressman should have special exemptions for National Reciprocity. He needs to correct himself and fully back and support National Reciprocity for all.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 11:06:41 AM EST
Originally Posted By TacticalHeater:
This is a good start. The more politicians that carry the more they will realize it's more of a tool than a scary weapon.
View Quote
Dianne Feinstein and Nancy Pelosi have Concealed Carry Permits 
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 11:07:46 AM EST
I understand but THIS TIME Congress will pass what he is suggesting about them being allowed to carry.
View All Quotes

If not.....

http://loudermilkforcongress.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/NRA-Letter-791x1024.jpg
I one hundred percent agree with you. I can easily see Congress passing National Reciprocity for congressman while leaving National Reciprocity for us to wither on the vine.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 11:08:43 AM EST
Originally Posted By grady:

Yep.

A response predicated on the concept of more guns in more places is a good thing. The disparate treatment of the politicians versus the people will not fly.

There have been several public statements acknowledging that the presence of armed good guys prevented a slaughter.
View Quote
I agree with you on the first part but on the second, Didn't they carve out a special clause for them and their aides concerning Obamacare?
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 11:09:41 AM EST
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 11:09:48 AM EST
Here's what I just sent to Congressman Loudermilk:

We're all feeling both shock and anger at yesterday's cowardly attack on our elected representatives. I'm glad that the injuries sustained by the victims weren't nearly as catastrophic as they could have been. Yesterday, you said:

"There are several things to look at," Loudermilk said. "First of all, if this had happened in Georgia, he wouldn't have gotten too far. I had a staff member who was in his car, maybe 20 yards behind the shooter... who back in Georgia carries a nine millimeter in his car. I carry a weapon. He had a clear shot at him. But here, we're not allowed to carry any weapons here... Most of us are here in D.C., so how are you supposed to have it here?"

"I think we need to look at some kind of reciprocity for members here," Loudermilk said. "But also we need to look at security detail. If Scalise hadn't been on our team, it would have been really bad."

Congressman Loudermilk, I resent that. I resent the very idea that you're asking for reciprocity for members of Congress and not for all law-abiding citizens of this great nation. I'm thankful that I can lawfully carry a concealed weapon for my own protection at home, but my job takes me to many places where I can't. Why should I have to leave my own means of personal protection at home should I come to Washington DC? Why should you be allowed that right and I not? Most places where you perform your day-to-day work, you do have protection. You do have armed security around you, keeping you safe. I can't say the same.

Are you that much better than I am that you deserve reciprocity and I don't? The work that you do is important, to be sure. I'm positive that your office receives its share of threats on a daily basis. The average American doesn't have an occupation that makes him a daily target, but he deserves the right to be able to protect himself to the best of his ability, the same as you and your staff do.

Reciprocity for all, not just a privileged 535.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 11:10:03 AM EST
Originally Posted By grady:

Yep.

View Quote
Are you high?

Not subject to insider trading, Obamacare, etc.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 11:10:28 AM EST
View Quote
This is probably preferred by many of them.
When the shooting starts many of them would probably prefer to have someone else stand and fight while they run away.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 11:14:10 AM EST
Every law that applies to Congress should also apply to all citizens. They should have ZERO special rights.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 11:14:40 AM EST
National carry. If you have a CHP it should be valid in all 50 states, PR, the VI, and all other territories.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top