Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2003 7:51:54 PM EDT
I dropped my movie channels months ago as they show the same old movies EVERY DAY.  Anyways I just got done checking out the Band of Brothers (movies 1-4) and I gotta say what a great series!!!
I don't know what rock I was under but I'm glad I got out from under it!!!

BTW what is that gun that something pops up out of it??? Kinda makes a "bing" sound.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 7:54:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 8:02:25 PM EDT
[#2]
BTW what is that gun that something pops up out of it??? Kinda makes a "bing" sound.
View Quote
Damn, you HAVE been under a rock, haven't you? That would be the "greatest battle implement ever devised", the US Rifle, M1.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 8:12:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah there is this really cool clip thingie that pops out of the gun...Really
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 8:17:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Tony, that "bing" sound is made by the 8 rd. "en block" clip flying out the top of the M1 Garand as it locks open after firing the last round.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 8:18:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Yeah there is this really cool clip thingie that pops out of the gun...Really
View Quote
That's the "en bloc" clip which holds the individual rounds. On firing the last round, the clip is ejected, making the tell-tale "Ping" noise, which is the trademark of the M1.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 8:19:22 PM EDT
[#6]
yes, without a doubt the best mini series of all time
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 8:22:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Sorry guys I was having a bit of fun with everyone...The M1 has to be one of the coolest weapons made...I don't know why it just is...
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 2:41:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Why don't you go to [url]http://www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles/m1garand.htm[/url] and buy a real, USGI M1? Mine came in a few weeks back, and it is abeautiful weapon, and great fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 3:34:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Sorry guys I was having a bit of fun with everyone...The M1 has to be one of the coolest weapons made...I don't know why it just is...
View Quote

Thank god!
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 3:37:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

[:)]  You have got to shoot a garand, dont be satisfied watching them fire on the tube.  Beefy rifles.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 4:06:23 AM EDT
[#11]
My favorite line:

We had good officers, for the most part, but the NCOs were excellent.  They really took care of us.
View Quote

I gotta watch it again.  Read the book.  Some really good insight.

Eddie
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 4:23:43 AM EDT
[#12]
watch the whole series straight thru...what a weekend....
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 4:24:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Guys! At least he didn't say it makes a [gold]BLING![/gold] sound!
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 4:46:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Guys! At least he didn't say it makes a [gold]BLING![/gold] sound!
View Quote

I did notice how all the German officers were firing their Lugers Gangsta sytle though.  Probably trying to keep the attention of the younger viewers.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 3:33:08 PM EDT
[#15]
I learned that sideways style of firing from my High Standard Duramatic when I bought a box of those Winchester Hollow points!  They don't have enough power to sling the shell caseing out of the way of the slide!

I sold my SA M1 to my son-in-law three months ago for 750. Damn I was missing that rifle,then saw the Big Red One and shit just had to have it back!

Traded him an Imbell recievered R1A1,and three mags for it back!   The Sunday I got it back headed out to Slaughterville range,and was popping clays with it at 75 yards!

Never ever,ever,ever will it leave home again!

Bob [:D]
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 3:37:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 4:12:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I've killed many electonic appliances out at the Slaughterville range. [:D]
View Quote

Yeah I know what you mean.I live in Norman off Robinson and say 24 so its like twenty minutes and I'm there!  

Will be there this weekend !  Look for an old beat-up 81 K-10 (flat black primmer) thats me!

You weren't there last Sunday were you?

Bob  [:D]
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 4:46:32 PM EDT
[#18]
I have heard that german soldiers would wait to hear that "ping" sound and the they would rush the american.  I also heard that the american troops learned how to duplicate the "ping" and then mow down those nazis.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 5:39:39 PM EDT
[#19]
You ever shoot an M1 and you will know it takes damn little time to reload another clip!
You can do so in the same time it takes to load another mag in say an AR or an Ak!

Rush on!    Bob [:D]
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 5:59:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have heard that german soldiers would wait to hear that "ping" sound and the they would rush the american.  I also heard that the american troops learned how to duplicate the "ping" and then mow down those nazis.
View Quote

Yep, and it's easily replicated...

Take an empty clip, and chuck it at the receiver. It makes the same sound [:)] (while holding the rifle, of course.)

My grandfather used to tell stories about people who, in a firefight, would fire X rounds, throw an empty clip against the receiver to make the sound, and just wait for enemy to pop up. Apparently, it worked pretty well.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 6:14:05 PM EDT
[#21]
I gotta get the dvd..

I didn't see the whole series [:(]

IIRC, I was watching them from the hotel while in chicago on business durring 9/11...  got sent back home before I saw the last 2 or so .. [:(]

What I did see was pretty kick ass.  I MUST see the whole thing.. in 5.1 [:)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top