Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/10/2001 10:23:16 AM EDT
I hate when I see post like this one (this is not a flame to the original poster its just my opinion)

For an assault rifle, be prepared to spend upwards of $4000. For a Sport Utility Rifle such as an AR15 or a semiauto AK, the range is wide open starting at $400 and up.
View Quote

Just because a weapon is full auto dosn't make it an assault rifle. I can [B]"ASSAULT"[/B]some one with a single shot .22! the Term is debunk and we should never use it in describing any weapon...Hell I could assault someone with a peice of gum and a sling shot!
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 10:27:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 10:33:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Technically for a rifle to be considered an Assault Rifle it must be select fire. Other then that it is just a semi-auto rifle fed by a detachable magazine.
View Quote

Thats my F'in point Damn it JUST BECAUSE A WEAPON IS FULL AUTO DOSNT MAKE IT A DAMN [B]"ASSAULT WEAPON"[/B]!
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 10:38:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 10:45:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 10:45:57 AM EDT
[#5]
It all depends on which difinition of an "assault rifle" you are referring to.  A common sense definition (any object I use to assault someone is an "assault weapon"), a technical definition (any selective fire, shoulder fired, rifle caliber weapon), or a legal definition (18 USC 921(a)(30)).
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 10:50:41 AM EDT
[#6]
AR-15.com is a pretty small pond.  We probably have identical attitudes towards "assault rifles" and "high capacity magazines."

The terminology has changed for the other 99%+ of the country.  The rest of the country, and most of gundom, refer to AR's as assault rifles and mag capacities of +10 rounds as high capacity.  These are the defacto definitions.  Get used to it.  I don't like it either, but we have to deal with reality.  
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 10:50:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Hitler coined the term "assault weapon."  If .308's, 7mm's, etc are called high-power rifles, then technically they should be called low-power rifles.  Hitler had forbidden research on rifles, the scientists were only allowed to design new machine pistols.  They designed the low-power rifle and called it a machine pistol in order to get funding.  When Hitler found out about the weapon, the troops had already been praising it.  So instead of Hitler admitting his mistake of not allowing new rifle research, he designated it the "assault weapon."  After WWII, since it was a rifle, militaries began calling them "assault rifles."  I dunno what they'd actually be called if Hitler didn't name them since low-power rifles sound like something no soldier would want.  Maybe sub-rifles.  And now weapons are being developed with the 5.7 round.  What the heck do you call them?  They aren't really pistol rounds since they travel to fast.  Aren't even assault rifle rounds, because they are too small.

Of course terms like automatic, autoloader, etc. are also confusing.  Browning made the automatic name because it automatically reloaded it self.  So then machineguns became "fully" automatic.  Like most things, gun names are f'd up because no one thought ahead.  But you can't really fault them for that.  If I knew what was going to be developed in the future, I'd be a very wealthy man.[:D]
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 10:57:07 AM EDT
[#8]
You guys are using two different terms "assualt rifle" and "assault weapon".

An "assualt rifle" Is a select fire rifle firing an intermediate cartridge.

semi-automatic "assault weapons" are defined by federal law. You may disagree with that definition, but its there.
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 11:00:33 AM EDT
[#9]
One entry found for assault rifle.

Websters Dictionary
Main Entry: assault rifle
Function: noun
Date: 1975
: any of various automatic or semiautomatic rifles designed for military use with large capacity magazines  

One entry found for assault weapon.

Main Entry: assault weapon
Function: noun
Date: 1973
: any of various automatic or semiautomatic firearms; especially : ASSAULT RIFLE

Link Posted: 11/10/2001 11:21:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 11:45:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
There is no such thing as an"ASSUALT RIFLE"
View Quote

Damn right!

But there is such a thing as an [b]"ASSAULT RIFLE"[/b]...

Sorry, the Spelling-Nazi made me do it.
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 12:00:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Just because a weapon is full auto dosn't make it an assault rifle. I can [B]"ASSAULT"[/B]some one with a single shot .22! the Term is debunk and we should never use it in describing any weapon...Hell I could assault someone with a peice of gum and a sling shot!
View Quote

Actually, you're right.  Just because a weapon is fullauto doesn't mean it's an assault rifle.  To be an assault rifle it must chamber a moderately powerful cartridge (5.56, 7.62x39, etc.), be select fire and be light weight.

If you don't like the term, that's one thing... but to claim they don't exist is just plain goofy.  That's like saying a "carbine" doesn't exist because you personally feel all rifles are short and light weight... or that a Main Battle Rifle doesn't exist because you can do battle with any rifle or even a stick of gum.
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 12:08:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Just what is a Hunting Knife?

Will it shoot a deer for ya? Or does it just stab one to death and you cook the venison when said knife is finished?
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 12:13:38 PM EDT
[#14]
I guess I just get pissed because people(read media and sheeple) use it as a term that stresses something imherently evil about the rifle likes its the weapons fault.......

Sorry for the RANT.
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 2:13:23 PM EDT
[#15]
The Stg44 is an assault rifle. The AK47/AKM are assault rifles.
The M16 kinda is, kinda isn't. (not an intermediate cartridge, but a new small caliber.)
The M14, Fal, G3 are battle rifles firing full power cartridges, with select fire as an option.
A Tec9, is a POS, not an assault weapon.
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 2:24:10 PM EDT
[#16]
I am the poster of your original quote WOIM.  I did it because someone asked about assault rifles while referring to AR15's.  It was my way of pointing out that our rifles are not "assault rifles" except the lucky few who own M16's and other rifles of that ilk.  That's why I posted that if you want an assault rifle, be prepared to spend upwards of $4000.  Non-converted AR15's are Sport Utility Rifles, not "assault rifles" and that was my whole point.  And if a rifle is select fire and fires certain calibers, it IS an "assault rifle".  You are barking up the wrong tree, bubba.  What VA-gunnut is true with the addition of what wgunn said and there is a difference between an "assault weapon" and an "assault rifle".  ANYTHING can be an "assault weapon"

Quoted:
Yes a rifle that is select fire is an assault rifle. A rifle that a semi-auto is not an assault rifle.

I understand what you are saying, because you can legally assault someone by threatening them with harm.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 2:26:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The Stg44 is an assault rifle. The AK47/AKM are assault rifles.
The M16 kinda is, kinda isn't. (not an intermediate cartridge, but a new small caliber.)
The M14, Fal, G3 are battle rifles firing full power cartridges, with select fire as an option.
A Tec9, is a POS, not an assault weapon.
View Quote

Well said.
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 2:27:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Technically for a rifle to be considered an Assault Rifle it must be select fire. Other then that it is just a semi-auto rifle fed by a detachable magazine.
View Quote

Thats my F'in point Damn it JUST BECAUSE A WEAPON IS FULL AUTO DOSNT MAKE IT A DAMN [B]"ASSAULT WEAPON"[/B]!
View Quote
What gunnut says IS my fuckin' point in my original post and if it fires certain calibers it IS an assault rifle and I did not say "assault WEAPON", as you imply.
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 3:01:45 PM EDT
[#19]
A Battle Rifle uses a full power cartridge (7.62x51)ect, a Submachine Gun SMG uses pistol ammunition and an Assault Rifle uses an intermediate power cartridge, a cartridge less powerful them what the Battle Rifle uses and more powerful then pistol ammo. The Assault Rifle is also selective fire. So no semi-auto rifle can be an Assault Rifle and no full power rifle or any weapon that takes pistol ammo can be an Assault Rifle. But the facts do not have any effect on what the anti gun idiots like the news media call anything. Assault Rifle or Assault Weapon just seems like something a lot more nasty then just using the term hunting rifle, hi power rifle or even Battle Rifle. Bad people commit Assaults good people like Soldiers engage in battle. It is all done to demonize us gun owners and make the sheeple afraid of us.

VINCE AUT MORIRE (Conquer or Die)
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 9:44:35 PM EDT
[#20]
also garands use clips
ar15s use magazines!!

for some reason it bugs the hell out of me when people fubar that one
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 9:54:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 4:58:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
also garands use clips
ar15s use magazines!!
for some reason it bugs the hell out of me when people fubar that one
View Quote

Nobody will ever get it all right.  Too many people insist that their way is the right way, even if no official records support their use of terminology.
View Quote

Especially since I use clips to load my magazines... [>:/]
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 6:32:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Nobody will ever get it all right.  Too many people insist that their way is the right way, even if no official records support their use of terminology.
View Quote

My point exactly! I would like to know where all these "EXPERTS" are getting their information. No one (except me)so far has made reference to a credible source!
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 8:48:39 AM EDT
[#24]
WHEW!!!! glad THAT one was solved......by the way.....someone has a select fire garand?.....[stick]
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 8:51:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Would you rather call your SUR, the thing that sits around and doesn't do anything most of the time rifle?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top