Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/4/2002 11:37:35 PM EDT
[url]http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/12/04/terror.threats/index.html[/url]

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The end of Ramadan has stirred renewed concerns over the threat of a terrorist attack against U.S. citizens and the nation's allies.

Earlier this week, an al Qaeda statement posted to the Internet threatened a strike to coincide with the end of the Muslim holy season -- which is [B]December 5 and 6[/B]. The statement said, "You have not learned your lesson."

"You did not understand the reasons for the raids of Washington and New York," said the al Qaeda statement posted on several Web sites that have carried al Qaeda messages in the past.

"Oh American people, you are the victim of your leaders, but you are also a partner in the war on us. The gift for the holiday is on its way," the statement continued.

U.S. intelligence officials said they were "mindful" of such threats and "not dismissive" of them. But, as one source said, "A heightened state of alert has been there for some time," including threats of attacks immediately before Ramadan, during it and immediately following the holiday.

Al Qaeda's mode of operation has changed since the U.S.-led bombing campaign in Afghanistan put its leaders on the run. The group now is apparently choosing "softer" targets that are easy to hit.

One example was last Thursday's twin attacks in Kenya -- a suicide bombing that killed 13 people at an Israeli-owned hotel and an unsuccessful missile firing at an Israeli airliner. Another was the October 12 bombing of a tourist hotel in usually serene Bali, Indonesia, that killed nearly 200 people.

Al Qaeda claimed responsibility for all three attacks. The organization claimed responsibility for the Kenya attacks in the same statement threatening new strikes at the end of Ramadan.

In another development Wednesday, the Arab news network Al-Jazeera said it received a fax purportedly from Taliban leader Mullah Mohammed Omar, one of the most wanted men in the world.

Titled an "end of Ramadan statement," the letter said America and its allies were spreading destruction and would face more "hostility, chaos and destruction."

The letter has not been authenticated. One U.S. official could not vouch for its authenticity but said it is credible in the sense that is similar to what Omar has said in the past.

The United States believes Omar is alive but it is not known where he is hiding, the official said. Al-Jazeera would not tell CNN from what country it received the fax.

With the threats swirling, British officials closed their embassy in the Kenyan capital of Nairobi on Wednesday after officials received a "specific threat." They would not identify the nature of the threat.

In Washington, President Bush said he believes al Qaeda was behind the Kenya attacks and that bin Laden's group "hates freedom."

"I believe al Qaeda will strike anywhere they can in order to disrupt a civil society and that's why we're on the hunt," he said.

The United States and its allies, Bush said, are "slowly but surely" dismantling al Qaeda and he promised to "bring them to justice."

In the al Qaeda statement, the group warned Americans to leave Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Africa and Asia: "Otherwise, you will reap death because of your stupidity in ignoring our warnings to you."

Link Posted: 12/4/2002 11:46:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I hope they all get assraped with a pitchfork.
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 12:17:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Only 10% of Germans were Nazis. The rest supported the war effort. We took care of that "little" problem in 1945.

Islam is the religion of peace. Only extremists support war on America. 10% of muslims are al Qaeda or some such and want to attack America.

If you are not with us, you are against us. Shouldn't we take care of this "little" problem now? They make no distinction, should we?

Is it time to play cowboys and arabs? Guess the mega-tonnage? How hot is it in Mecca? "Iraq, glass export capitol of the world."
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 1:04:52 AM EDT
[#3]
I think if something does go down it will be on [b]Dec 7[/b].
If so.. We need to give 'them' the gift that keeps on giving, If you know what I mean.. and I think you do.  [X]
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 2:40:38 AM EDT
[#4]
The kind of gift that makes the Kabaa radioactive for 10,000 years is what we should give the Islamic ummah if they let another 9/11 happen.
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 2:52:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I think if something does go down it will be on [b]Dec 7[/b].
If so.. We need to give 'them' the gift that keeps on giving, If you know what I mean.. and I think you do.  [X]
View Quote

The news is that Saddam keeps saying he has no weapons of mass destruction, but in response to  Bush's requirement to disclose this list by December 8th, Saddam says he is planning on "showing us what weapons he really has" 24 hours early.  Some are speculating on the symbolism of Pearl Harbor.
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 3:36:28 AM EDT
[#6]
I bet nothing significant will happen.

I mean, look: 9/11 was the climax of 8 years of letting the Al-Qaeda organization fester and operate uninhibited.  They got their one lucky shot, and then we finally decided to act.

Although I believe the central money support for Al-Qaeda from Saudi Arabia and the Persian Gulf is untouched, I think we've done enough to ensure that they cant pull off another 9/11 on Americ shores for the short run.  We have disrupted them quite a bit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top