Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/12/2009 9:19:42 PM EDT
I have a few friends that are overseas that I would like to send some gifts to.....  I'm wondering what I should/should not send that might be snagged by customs, military police, etc..

i.e.:
A box of good cigars
Electronics (ipod, portable DVD player)

I assume that since alcohol is forbidden that a bottle would be off limits, but also for the liquid factor.

What are your experiences with this?
Link Posted: 12/12/2009 9:25:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I sent a Ranger RD-6 through USPS to a good friend of mine that's in Iraq now.  No problems getting it to him.

Link Posted: 12/12/2009 9:31:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Alcohol is off limits, but only outgoing packages are checked.

Out of everything I got when I was deployed booze was the biggest moral lifter.  Depends if he is a drinker or not.  Not suggesting anything. . .
Link Posted: 12/12/2009 9:33:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Alcohol is off limits, but only outgoing packages are checked.

Out of everything I got when I was deployed booze was the biggest moral lifter.  Depends if he is a drinker or not.  Not suggesting anything. . .

I wouldn't send it, too many people getting in WAY too much trouble just because of a little bit of booze.

I always enjoyed gun mags, FHM, Maxims and local news papers.

Plus his favorite snacks.
Link Posted: 12/12/2009 9:34:44 PM EDT
[#4]
don't worry about cigars, better and cheaper available there (at least in Aghanistan).

booze does get through......just sayin

Link Posted: 12/12/2009 9:41:55 PM EDT
[#5]
You have to declair everything on your customs form and the military APO claims to xray packages at random.  I had a nice knive lost that was sent to me while in Iraq.  

beef jerky
hard candy
socks
chapstick
reading magazines
small flashlight
leatherman
Link Posted: 12/12/2009 9:49:26 PM EDT
[#6]
get the big round paper "can" of quaker oatmeal.

pry open bottom crimped and glued seal.

insert bottle of jack.

glue bottom back on.

ship oatmeal.

profit.
Link Posted: 12/12/2009 10:05:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
get the big round paper "can" of quaker oatmeal.

pry open bottom crimped and glued seal.

insert bottle of jack.

glue bottom back on.

ship oatmeal.

profit.

I heard 2 beer cans will fit perfect in a pringles can...lol.  

Wouldn't risk it, probably get x-rayed by the military post office.

Link Posted: 12/12/2009 10:18:49 PM EDT
[#8]

Have they caught onto the Listerine bottles with vodka and blue dye yet?

Link Posted: 12/12/2009 10:30:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

not by the stories I hear...in all seriousness though, send local newspapers. I'd throw away all the other shit just to get to the newspapers used as wrapping. Nice to get a bit of news from back home plus pass the comics to your buddies an take the crosswords to guard duty.

Unless you got some fantastical deal on electronics you may as well just let him get it himself over there tax free and not worry about asshole in the post office swiping it
Link Posted: 12/12/2009 10:34:29 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

No.  Better yet is the white bottles (the alcohol free kind, ironic huh?).  If you want to be super sneaky you can take a bottle of clear gatorade, heat the top in boiling water, open it quickly (it won't break the safety seal) and then fill it with whatever clear liquid you want.  Not that I'm condoning any behavior of the sort.  

ETA:  Snacks are always welcome, chocolate will make it this time of year without melting to shit.  Be very careful what you put on the customs label, the military mailroom personnel are thieves. For example, if you sent an Ipod put "electronic entertainment device" or something equally generic and unappealing.  

Link Posted: 12/13/2009 12:12:00 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm seeing some promising careers destroyed here due to alcohol General Order 1 violations.  I personally wouldn't want to contribute to possible loss of career/pay/clearances.  

You would think people would be smart enough to keep smuggled alcohol to themselves, but alas many are not.
Link Posted: 12/13/2009 3:02:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You don't need dye. My buddy got a Listerine bottle full of Tarantula every week from his wife. Good girl.
Link Posted: 12/13/2009 5:42:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Dont bother sendin cigars, they can get cuban cigars fro cheep over there. Sendin alcohol is a no go.  Less shit gets stolen by the mail clerks these days, theres alot more oversight, that bein said, anythin left unsecured once he gets it will wander off.  Its sad but you can trust your buddies with your life just ot your shit.
Link Posted: 12/13/2009 5:49:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Fleshlight?
Link Posted: 12/13/2009 5:56:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:

No.  Better yet is the white bottles (the alcohol free kind, ironic huh?).  If you want to be super sneaky you can take a bottle of clear gatorade, heat the top in boiling water, open it quickly (it won't break the safety seal) and then fill it with whatever clear liquid you want.  Not that I'm condoning any behavior of the sort.  

ETA:  Snacks are always welcome, chocolate will make it this time of year without melting to shit.  Be very careful what you put on the customs label, the military mailroom personnel are thieves. For example, if you sent an Ipod put "electronic entertainment device" or something equally generic and unappealing.  

Why is a vibrator the first thing I thought of?
Link Posted: 12/13/2009 6:00:24 AM EDT
[#16]
If you or the ladies in your life can bake, cookies go over very well, particularly when home made, and especially this time of year.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top