BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 11
Posted: 11/9/2012 6:51:23 AM EDT
http://www.theakforum.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=1476884#p1476884

http://soldiersystems.net/2012/11/08/cqb-training-lets-be-careful-out-there/

In light of what happened thispast Sunday night.
Due to assumptions and not taking all steps I could have taken that may have prevented the tragedy, my good friend and amazing human being Gene Smithson was severely injured during a live fire training.
Gene is in the hospital in Dallas recovering from his injuries. All I ask for is for your prayers and support for Gene during this trying time and then during lenghty recovery process.
All responsibility for what happened lies with me and nobody else. I will do my best to support Gene and his loved ones, his school for as long as needed.
Sonny Puzikas

It happened during a shoot house portion, Gene and a student was doing an AAR after a run in the house. Sonny Puzikas enters first room engages targets (no lights). Gene and student did not positively ID their presence in the second room, Sonny goes into room two, engages target with failure drill with Gene standing in front of that target and the student nearby. Two to abdomen, one to the arm. Sonny shooting under no light at a target he previously set up. But the problem compounded when Sonny did not account for all people in the class, the people in the shoot house upon hearing the shots, did not ID their presence, and shooting in low light with out a light to ID target.......
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 7:06:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Damn.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=9688250

It happened during a shoot house portion, Gene and a student was doing an AAR after a run in the house. Sonny Puzikas enters first room engages targets (no lights). Gene and student did not positively ID their presence in the second room, Sonny goes into room two, engages target with failure drill with Gene standing in front of that target and the student nearby. Two to abdomen, one to the arm. Sonny shooting under no light at a target he previously set up. But the problem compounded when Sonny did not account for all people in the class, the people in the shoot house upon hearing the shots, did not ID their presence, and shooting in low light with out a light to ID target.......sigh

Link Posted: 11/9/2012 7:08:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Damn.

Yeah, three times kinda damn! He shot him twice in the abdomen and once in the arm. I don't believe the other student who was in the shoot-house was injured though.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 7:32:59 AM EDT
[#3]
So, not to be insensitive, but this guy is the INSTRUCTOR and he doesn't ID the targets with white light...
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 7:34:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 7:36:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 7:36:56 AM EDT
[#6]
I've been in a lot of shoot houses.  Have yet to shoot any ROs or other competitors.

I did (once) wear a TAN colored shirt to RO a IDPA or USPSA event.  I did not get shot, but wearing the same color shirt as the torso targets is not the best idea.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 7:37:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 7:37:57 AM EDT
[#8]

Is there a story here i missed out on?
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 7:39:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Damn.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 7:39:57 AM EDT
[#10]

... Larry Vickers Certified Instructor!!!
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 7:40:50 AM EDT
[#11]
My gosh, prayers from me.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 7:42:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Maybe they froze up, but if I was in a shoot house, and started hearing shots fired, you can bet your sweet ass I'd be yelling as loudly as humanly possible.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 7:42:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 7:42:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 7:43:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Funny...The Black Ops show on Natgeo blamed the 1st responders for not recognizing the respiratory issues of the hostages resulting in the death. According to them Spetsnaz performed flawlessly. And sonny was on that show blaming the 1st responders.

Link Posted: 11/9/2012 7:44:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 7:45:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 7:48:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:

... Larry Vickers Certified Instructor!!!
Yup. Larry "uncertified" him during the shitstorm then added him back later.

WTF R U SERIOUS?
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 7:49:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Damn.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=9688250

It happened during a shoot house portion, Gene and a student was doing an AAR after a run in the house. Sonny Puzikas enters first room engages targets (no lights). Gene and student did not positively ID their presence in the second room, Sonny goes into room two, engages target with failure drill with Gene standing in front of that target and the student nearby. Two to abdomen, one to the arm. Sonny shooting under no light at a target he previously set up. But the problem compounded when Sonny did not account for all people in the class, the people in the shoot house upon hearing the shots, did not ID their presence, and shooting in low light with out a light to ID target.......sigh

Whats the point in this?  Why train to shoot targets you cant see?
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 7:49:18 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Grant Timberlake taught a  class, which I think was mainly a random group of students. He took a student through the shoothouse while also videotaping the student going through the shoothouse. That is a screen capture of a loaded pistol pointed by the student at Timberlake as he runs the camera. He defended it as being no big deal "Big Boy Rules"

Timberlake was removed as a "Larry Vicker's Certified Instructor" but was added back later. Some might suspect that the amount of business sent to Vickers by Timberlake's m4carbine.net forum played some role in that recertification.

I also believe that there was a student there who absolutely tore Grant's ass wide open, like talking about people loading guns across tables and sweeping each other, folks who were running the shoot house were pointing their guns in the direction of the students who were up above observing.  The whole class was a trainwreck in the making.

Link Posted: 11/9/2012 7:50:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Several things went to hell in a hand basket there.

Hopefully he can make a full or nearly full recovery.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 7:51:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Grant Timberlake taught a  class, which I think was mainly a random group of students. He took a student through the shoothouse while also videotaping the student going through the shoothouse. That is a screen capture of a loaded pistol pointed by the student at Timberlake as he runs the camera. He defended it as being no big deal "Big Boy Rules"

Timberlake was removed as a "Larry Vicker's Certified Instructor" but was added back later. Some might suspect that the amount of business sent to Vickers by Timberlake's m4carbine.net forum played some role in that recertification.

I also believe that there was a student there who absolutely tore Grant's ass wide open, like talking about people loading guns across tables and sweeping each other, folks who were running the shoot house were pointing their guns in the direction of the students who were up above observing.  The whole class was a trainwreck in the making.  

Any links to the original posts?

Inquiring minds want to know.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 7:53:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Once upon a time, a guy was going through a shoothouse and pointed his firearm straight at the photographer.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 7:53:23 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Good point about wearing body armor in shoot houses.  

Would have still hit him.

What kind of class is he teaching that involves engaging targets without seeing them?
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 7:53:29 AM EDT
[#25]
This is the sort of thing that keeps me up at night before range activities.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 7:53:31 AM EDT
[#26]
He took responsibility,  but didn't necessarily pull the trigger.

I'm assuming the other student did the shooting?
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 7:57:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Always wear body armor when training.

This..
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 7:58:01 AM EDT
[#28]
so how is Sonny not "vetted"?

Link Posted: 11/9/2012 7:59:07 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

It's the reason I quit being a RSO at a public range.

Link Posted: 11/9/2012 8:00:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Damn, I thought Sonny was a good instructor.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 8:08:46 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
So, not to be insensitive, but this guy is the INSTRUCTOR and he doesn't ID the targets with white light...

First thing I thought.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 8:09:44 AM EDT
[#32]
See, this is why my first tactical move upon hearing gunfire is to throw myself on the ground and beg for mercy.  He would have missed me.

Seriously, that is terrible.  I feel bad for the shooter, but damn, that sounds like pretty sloppy training.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 8:13:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Even wearing body armor, depending on where in the gut he was shot. He still would have been shot as proper wear covers your upper vitals not your stomach or your dong.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_10/349140_Proper_wear_of_Hard_Armor__with_anatomical_diagrams_.html
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 8:13:43 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good point about wearing body armor in shoot houses.  

Would have still hit him.

What kind of class is he teaching that involves engaging targets without seeing them?

this was my question on reading the descriptions of what happened, was he just blind firing in the direction he knew a target was setup?

Link Posted: 11/9/2012 8:15:21 AM EDT
[#35]
What ever title people have, instructor, doctor, whatever, 99.99% of people are idiots.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 8:16:55 AM EDT
[#36]
I couldent open the links on my phone - was the shooting at TSDA in Ferris?
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 8:18:23 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
What ever title people have, instructor, doctor, whatever, 99.99% of people are idiots.

It's my experience that a normally intelligent, reasonable and rational person becomes a fucking idiot when they step onto a range.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 8:23:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 8:25:12 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 8:26:51 AM EDT
[#40]
What range in Dallas?

ETA - TDSA why am I not surprised.....
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 8:27:28 AM EDT
[#41]
Its happened before, once at the NTI.

Stressed out student/practitioners are very dangerous in a live fire shoot house.

The RO needs to be trained and ready at all times to physically restrain a shooter in those situations, I have had to.

Link Posted: 11/9/2012 8:28:37 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

The hell you say!  

LOL––that day will be an epic part of internet history for a LONG time to come.  "We play by Big Boy Rules so fuck off!"  

I thought that was Buck Yeager's mantra?

Link Posted: 11/9/2012 8:29:34 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 8:30:12 AM EDT
[#44]
Rule #4: Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 8:30:54 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 8:30:54 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah - pay attention next time you go to the indoor range:  see all those bullet strikes on the ceiling, floor, walls - even the benches?

Yep - negligent discharges; and those are only evidence of all the times the gun actually WENT OFF!  Think how often loaded guns were actually pointed in dangerous directions?

Average gun owner in the U.S. does not have a ****ing clue how to handle a gun safely.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 8:31:08 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I couldent open the links on my phone - was the shooting at TSDA in Ferris?

Yes.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 8:31:40 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 8:32:25 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 8:32:29 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah - pay attention next time you go to the indoor range:  see all those bullet strikes on the ceiling, floor, walls - even the benches?

Yep - negligent discharges; and those are only evidence of all the times the gun actually WENT OFF!  Think how often loaded guns were actually pointed in dangerous directions?

Average gun owner in the U.S. does not have a ****ing clue how to handle a gun safely.
Then the Magpul Videos came out. Now they are unsafe while in awkward positions that don't let them retain their weapon or manipulate it even if they knew how too.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top