Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 7/20/2008 6:58:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/20/2008 6:58:50 AM EDT by goodoleboy]
I need to get a few suits..Just to wear to church, occasional wedding, & job interview, and dinner twice a year.. Ive seen S&K and Mens Warehouse both have "$99 specials" but which one is a better quality suit?

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:00:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/20/2008 7:00:48 AM EDT by TGMoore]
I always though S&K tending to be a bit more guidoish and flashy. I would go with mens warehouse.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:02:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/20/2008 7:03:16 AM EDT by goodoleboy]

Originally Posted By TGMoore:
I always though S&K tending to be a bit more guidoish and flashy. I would go with mens warehouse.

Will check them out..Looking for a "bread and butter plain jane" Blue with thin grey pin stripes, single breast for a start..
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:13:47 AM EDT
You may also want to check out Nordstom rack. Good deals on higher quality items.

When it comes to a lower dollar suit, there are several things you can do to make is appear less so.

First (and this is key) Take it to an excellent tailor. A well fitting suit, is key and can make a value suit look better.

Second, quality accessories. Buy at least two high-quality silk ties. And take care of them. Hang them up. Also, plan on spending $50 for a nice dress shirt. Nothing screams cheap like an inexpensive dress shirt.

Have your suit maintained by a quality dry cleaner as required. Don't let it get rumpled.

Lastly. Shoes. Polished. Keep shoe trees in them.

I can't believe I just wrote this. I feel a little bit gheyer right now, but hopefully I help another member.

-Z
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:23:34 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Crimson_Trace:
You may also want to check out Nordstom rack. Good deals on higher quality items.

When it comes to a lower dollar suit, there are several things you can do to make is appear less so.

First (and this is key) Take it to an excellent tailor. A well fitting suit, is key and can make a value suit look better.

Second, quality accessories. Buy at least two high-quality silk ties. And take care of them. Hang them up. Also, plan on spending $50 for a nice dress shirt. Nothing screams cheap like an inexpensive dress shirt.

Have your suit maintained by a quality dry cleaner as required. Don't let it get rumpled.

I can't believe I just wrote this. I feel a little bit gheyer right now, but hopefully I help another member.

-Z

Not at all.

A man should know how to dress properly for formal occasions.

Not everyone was in the military. Not everyone had a white collar dad.

I had a 70 year old retired lady Marine show me how to tie a tie when I was in high school because my blue collar step-father did not own a single one.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:28:23 AM EDT
I'd say go to Men's Warehouse because every time I have been there they have been very helpful and knowledgeable.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:32:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/20/2008 7:33:23 AM EDT by goodoleboy]

Originally Posted By Crimson_Trace:

-Z

Thanks for the tips esp. on Nordstroms.
+1 on dry cleaning...I have a few nice shirts and ties ive been wearing the past few years that are my current size.. My old suits just "shrunk"..
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:43:24 AM EDT
Jos A Bank has suits for 99-150 online right now. The quality and name of their suits are leaps and bounds above both SK and MW.

And to above, it's not gay a tall to know how to dress professionally and look good.

www.josbank.com/
Top Top