Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2005 1:36:09 PM EDT

That just needs a carb rebuild?  Is it worth it?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 1:39:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 1:41:08 PM EDT
[#2]

I haven't looked extensively yet.  I had planned on offering him less.  I do have access to someone who might can help do the work, though I have faith in myself if he can't.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 1:43:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 2:04:53 PM EDT
[#4]

I guess it just feels weird since I have paid more for a rifle than what you all are saying I could get a bike for.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 2:14:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 2:39:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Is Duke_Nukem still around?  Didn't he have a neat old honda of this vintage?  I will IM him.

By the way Beetle, my Dad had a Kaw 900 back in the day.  It ran like a bat out of hell.  He said he was never beaten in any stoplight race, and he had it up to 160 with one gear still left.  

He also said he will never own another streetbike unless they throw in a coffin.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:44:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Offer $400.  My BIL got the same bike for his first one, and it needed a carb rebuild.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:47:58 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
That just needs a carb rebuild?  Is it worth it?

It all depends on what kind of shape it is in.  When was it last licensed/inspected and on the road? What is the overall shape (rusty, clean, dented, waxed, tires/gas and oil lines dry rotted, etc)?  Ever been dropped/wrecked (even minor)?  How many miles are on it? How long has it been sitting?

Round here you used to find early 80's japanese bikes (350-750cc) for 200-400 bucks.  Now it is more like 500 to 1000, with some people asking 1200 or so.  So 600 may not be a bad price depending on shape.

I ran a few of similiar type bikes as winter bikes years ago.  It it has been sitting plan on rinsing out the gas tank and maybe kreeming it if needed (check the petcock and filter), replace any gas/oil lines, rebuild the carb, change spark plugs, new battery, new tires, tube, rubber ring of tires are dry rotted, and clean and lube the chain unless a shaft drive.

Buy a manual, as you can do all of that yourself fairly easily.  It could be worth it and be a great, fun experience.

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:10:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Spend slightly more and get a good running example. Parts for older Japanese bikes are quite expensive plus you don't even know if thats the problem for sure. Several years ago I bought a 73 Yamaha 500 to fix up for like $200. It was one of the first DOHC engines they made and I quicky found out nothing was cheap. I spend more money on a front caliper rebuild kit which consisted of a couple of O-rings than I paid for the bike. I ended up just getting rid of it b/c it was an expensive little PITA. That little bastard was pretty damned quick for an old 500 though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top