Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2002 7:56:27 AM EDT
Does anybody know about the history of this cartridge.  I heard it was made by Winchester.  This doesn't make sense to me since it is named browning.  I have tried an internet search and can't find much.  Who originally developed and made this cartridge?
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 8:01:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Do a search on google for "50 BMG history"

[url]http://www.gunnery.net/warwagon/history.html[/url]

Av.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 8:01:31 AM EDT
[#2]
I can't answer your question but I can at least point you in the right direction.....Go to http://www.FCSA.org and go to the "visitor" section and then to their discussion forums.   Its a great source of info for .50 bmg enthusiasts.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 8:26:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the links and good info.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 10:47:32 AM EDT
[#4]
The article in the link above was pretty interesting until the comment about tumbling ammo.  I thought that myth had been laid to rest unless 50 BMG propellant is somehow susceptible to vibration.  
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 10:49:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 11:22:25 AM EDT
[#6]
There is also a 3/4 page article on page 42 of the June 2002 issue of [i]Small Arms Review[/i] on the history of the .50 BMG by Peter Kokalis.

It's part of an article about two new sniper rifles from FN. One in 7.62 Nato and the other in....um.... .50 BMG. [:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top