Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Link Posted: 6/15/2014 2:06:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Lots of derp everywhere in that article:  the Pentagon, contractors, congress, two presidential administrations, even the author.

"Fly, then buy" is a maxim in the defense and aerospace fields,
meaning that customers should wait until a complicated new system has
been rigorously tested before purchasing.

With GMD, the government's approach was the opposite: "Buy, then fly."

View Quote

LOL.  I can't think of a time we've done that in my whole life.  Does the author expect Boeing to just build an entire ICBM defense system, hoping the whole time that the US government will purchase the finished product?!
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 2:25:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Honestly, it sounds like as return to the 1950s and 1960s methods of procurement and concurrent development.  Not that those were completely bad systems, just cost intensive in favor of rapidly fielding a minimally capable system followed by a series of improvements to the fielded systems.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 4:06:00 PM EDT
[#3]
The problems with GMD test failures have been known for years.  I can't say more than that for Opsec - but fuck Raytheon.  At least the part of Raytheon that does the *********.  The guys doing the radars are pretty decent folks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top