Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 12/13/2013 5:08:08 PM EST
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:09:10 PM EST
Tag
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:09:34 PM EST
I submitted my form 4 and waited 9 months for approval.

However fuck the NFA.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:09:49 PM EST
IIRC, there was some company that made an adapter like that, and it was an NFA item. Not a horrible idea, and yeah, it does suck that suppressors are NFA.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:09:52 PM EST
Yes, a solvent trap.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:09:55 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/13/2013 5:14:35 PM EST by Chizult]
Wow...

ETA:

I'm calling dibs on all the other non-NFA stuff in that pic before the ATF get's it.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:10:05 PM EST
Yeah, you should have just hit report on that.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:10:20 PM EST
Illegal as fuck.

The "" just further reinforces the fact that he knows what the true intent of that is.

Fuckin' people, man.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:10:32 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Matthew_Q:
IIRC, there was some company that made an adapter like that, and it was an NFA item. Not a horrible idea, and yeah, it does suck that suppressors are NFA.
View Quote

You can make your own with the proper paperwork. You just have to serialize the adapter.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:10:33 PM EST
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:10:58 PM EST
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

http://www.americanspecialtyammo.com/Class_III.html

The Econo-Can Patent Pending
This is a legal and registered silencer that is patent pending. It is an adapter that uses a removable expansion chamber aka a car oil filter. In our opinion this device is as quiet as any 22lr silencer we have ever tested. The is a registered silencer and must be treated as such. The adapter is threaded 1/2-28. This is a NFA item and all NFA rules and regulations apply. We are licensed by CGW to manufacture this suppressor.
Price-$75.00 Call for orders
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:12:33 PM EST
Originally Posted By Daytona955i:

You can make your own with the proper paperwork. You just have to serialize the adapter.
View All Quotes

That.

I had the same discussion with a couple of gents I know whom are feds of the bat-fag variety... they loved the idea, but said it would get squashed hard upon someone doing the same dumbass thing the fella in the EE appears to be doing.

Hope he likes buttseckz... he's gonna have some.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:12:35 PM EST
View Quote

Is your report button broken?
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:12:40 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/13/2013 5:16:41 PM EST by NineLivez]
Nope, not getting my fingerprints on that train wreck
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:13:41 PM EST
I would not touch that with a 10 foot pole.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:14:04 PM EST
Originally Posted By TurbineGuy:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TurbineGuy:

Did I post a thread in GD?
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:14:59 PM EST

View All Quotes

You have to put a serial number on the filter too. Once the filter is worn out, you have to pay another tax to replace it. Changing the filter is technically manufacturing another suppressor.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:15:42 PM EST
Originally Posted By NineLivez:
Nope, not getting my fingerprints on the train wreck
View Quote

Yep, steering clear of that
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:16:45 PM EST
Those appear to be plastic and would not survive live firing.

Still would not touch them
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:17:44 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/13/2013 5:18:27 PM EST by Daytona955i]
Originally Posted By pvc1984:

You have to put a serial number on the filter too. Once the filter is worn out, you have to pay another tax to replace it. Changing the filter is technically manufacturing another suppressor.
View All Quotes

I guess that's why it would be better to buy one? You could send it back to be repaired just like any suppressor without any paperwork.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:18:10 PM EST
Meh...
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:18:21 PM EST
It's a danger to the environment to let deadly solvents potentially get into the ground water. Trapping them in an oil filter is a great way to be environmental friendly, and you can dispose of it properly just like you would your excess oil
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:19:20 PM EST
At least he didn't shoot a hole through the bottom of the filter "to allow the solvent to drain".
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:20:09 PM EST
Seems legit
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:22:20 PM EST

I guess that's why it would be better to buy one? You could send it back to be repaired just like any suppressor without any paperwork.
View All Quotes

I saw it just before your edit. Yeah you'd be better off buying it so the manufacturer can repair it. If making it yourself, you'd have file another form and pay another tax.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:23:19 PM EST

I saw it just before your edit. Yeah you'd be better off buying it so the manufacturer can repair it. If making it yourself, you'd have file another form and pay another tax.
View All Quotes

It dawned on me just as I hit the submit button.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:24:36 PM EST
Unless you put a hole in that filter how does it qualify as a suppressor? If I buy an adaptor and filter, screw it on my gun, then proceed to stand my rifle on the filter while filling the barrel with bore cleaner to soak, how is it illegal?

You have to prove intent. If there's solvent in the filter and no hole, where is the "intent"?

Yes, I'm playing Devils advocate, but the adaptor/filter/rifle combo until fired or altered to allow passage of a projectile shouldn't be an issue. (IMO)
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:24:57 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/13/2013 5:26:18 PM EST by Et2ss]
It'd be a real shame to drip Hoppe's #9 all over your carpet
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:25:25 PM EST
Originally Posted By Balforin:
Unless you put a hole in that filter how does it qualify as a suppressor? If I buy an adaptor and filter, screw it on my gun, then proceed to stand my rifle on the filter while filling the barrel with bore cleaner to soak, how is it illegal?

You have to prove intent. If there's solvent in the filter and no hole, where is the "intent"?

Yes, I'm playing Devils advocate, but the adaptor/filter/rifle combo until fired or altered to allow passage of a projectile shouldn't be an issue. (IMO)
View Quote

Try explaining that to the BATFE.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:26:13 PM EST
Looks like the mods nuked it from orbit
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:27:48 PM EST
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:28:58 PM EST
IIRC, the company that makes these adapters made two different versions. The NFA suppressor adapter was bigger around to cover all the holes and seal around the rubber gasket on the filter. The other one made and marketed for cleaning was smaller and did not cover any holes in the oil filter. I'm pretty sure that's what made the difference between NFA and non-NFA

Either way, it's obvious what the guy in the EE is intending.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:29:57 PM EST

View Quote

Oh don't worry about it. Arfcom will have the new tac-con trigger outlawed by New Years as well.

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:32:04 PM EST

View Quote

It's a fucking stupid thing to do regardless. Run the numbers. $200 stamp + whatever for a real, quality suppressor vs. your minimum retainer for a lawyer if they decide they are going to try to prove intent.

The NFA sucks, but it's far cheaper than a lawyer. Only dummies would buy one of those.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:38:20 PM EST
I've never been in Federal pound-me-in-the-ass prison and don't plan on it.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:40:20 PM EST
Originally Posted By Vault_Boy:

It's a fucking stupid thing to do regardless. Run the numbers. $200 stamp + whatever for a real, quality suppressor vs. your minimum retainer for a lawyer if they decide they are going to try to prove intent.

The NFA sucks, but it's far cheaper than a lawyer. Only dummies would buy one of those.
View All Quotes

I already have a few stamps.

I'm going to bring this up the next time I see an agent in person. Last time I actually saw someone from BATFE was3-4 years ago. Is there an actual statute or law on the books regarding this specific combo, or is it more a case of "if/maybe/probably" but we don't really know for sure?

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:45:37 PM EST

I'm going to bring this up the next time I see an agent in person. Last time I actually saw someone from BATFE was3-4 years ago. Is there an actual statute or law on the books regarding this specific combo, or is it more a case of "if/maybe/probably" but we don't really know for sure?

View All Quotes

I bet they'll tell you anybody who buys one of these is asking for possible scrutiny they probably won't enjoy.
A huge NFA collector friend of mine got poked for having spare wipes for an ancient Sionics suppressor (that he thought were legal) in the late 80s. He got off, $54,000 later.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:59:24 PM EST
Napa 4003 looks moar tactical
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 8:29:57 PM EST
Originally Posted By TSU45:

Oh don't worry about it. Arfcom will have the new tac-con trigger outlawed by New Years as well.

View All Quotes

Are you implying that arfcom is in any way responsible for the actions of the BATFE?
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 6:35:04 AM EST
View Quote

The last time they were listed a mod squashed it pretty fast.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 6:46:21 AM EST
Aaaaand it's gone.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 2:05:24 PM EST
Originally Posted By Chapman:

Are you implying that arfcom is in any way responsible for the actions of the BATFE?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Chapman:

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm implying. I think staff has a red phone linked directly to ATF headquarters to offer their supreme ruling on gun laws.

What I'm actually implying, is that we seem to have a lot of amateur ATF agents on here who love to point out that solvent traps, new triggers, forearm pistol braces, and double barrel 1911s should be illegal even though the ATF has approved them. We're fucking great champions of our own liberties. (Sarcasm smiley since you meter is broken).
Top Top