Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/3/2009 8:26:00 AM EDT
AP- November 02, 2009

Bloomberg Spending $35,000 an Hour Toward Third Term as Mayor

New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg could burn through more than $100 million on what is already the most expensive self-financed campaign in American history.
NEW YORK –– How badly does Michael Bloomberg want a third term as mayor of New York?

The billionaire is spending $35,000 an hour out of his own pocket.

He could burn through more than $100 million on what is already the most expensive self-financed campaign in American history.

For the 67-year-old media tycoon with an estimated worth of $17.5 billion, his biggest challenge has been in overcoming the negative publicity of reversing his longtime support for term limits and persuading the City Council to change the law last year so he could run again.

His Democratic challenger, comptroller William Thompson Jr., has run ads hammering Bloomberg over the reversal, but his message has been drowned out by Bloomberg's barrage of advertising.

Polls show Bloomberg leading by 15 to 18 points.

Bloomberg and his Democratic challenger spent the final day of the campaign shoring up support and readying their get-out-the-vote forces.

Bloomberg on Monday greeted voters on the Staten Island ferry and then toured small businesses in every borough. Thompson campaigned in Harlem and then went to Chinatown.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:28:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:32:10 AM EDT
[#2]
He could burn through more than $100 million on what is already the most expensive self-financed campaign in American history.

I could live an incredible comfort, FOREVER, on that much.

But of course Bloomburg will want to take YOUR money to make other people live in comfort.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:36:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Could someone explain to me, in a reasonable and concise manner, why anyone would spend 100 million dollars to be the Mayor of nyc?
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:38:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Tammany hall.

Oh and FUCK NYC.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:39:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Could someone explain to me, in a reasonable and concise manner, why anyone would spend 100 million dollars to be the Mayor of nyc?

Power.  Dumbass probably thinks he has a future in other areas of politics after this run.

Just goes to show you that money trumps almost everything else.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:39:48 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Power.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:44:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Easy. He's a power mad, egomaniac,Billionaire tyrant.
He believed in term limits until it was his time to step down. NYC is the most corrupt, degenerate place there is so they are fine with it.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:50:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Bloomberg (R- until June 07) Spending $35,000 an Hour Toward Third Term as Mayor

New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg (R- until June 07) could burn through more than $100 million on what is already the most expensive self-financed campaign in American history.
NEW YORK –– How badly does Michael Bloomberg (R- until June 07) want a third term as mayor of New York?

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:50:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Hes doing it for the children.... He MUST get guns out of America or all the little kiddies will DIE...

Stupid motherfucker.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:06:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Hes doing it for the children.... He MUST get guns out of America or all the little kiddies will DIE...

Stupid motherfucker.

June 20 (Bloomberg) –– New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg switched his voter registration to independent, ending his affiliation with the Republican Party.

``I have filed papers with the New York City Board of Elections to change my status as a voter and register as unaffiliated with any political party,'' Bloomberg said in a statement yesterday. ``Although my plans for the future haven't changed, I believe this brings my affiliation into alignment with how I have led and will continue to lead our city.''

Bloomberg, 65, was a lifelong Democrat until becoming a Republican to prepare for his 2001 mayoral race.

Bloomberg, a billionaire, has said that he intends to establish a philanthropic foundation when he leaves office in 2009. He reneged and had the city council change the rules so he could run for a 3rd term.

........Still, during his six years in office, Bloomberg has often found himself at odds with the national Republican Party in his pro-choice views on abortion, his advocacy of gun control, his promotion of gay rights and stem cell research and his support for the United Nations. Moreover, he has publicly endorsed Democrats such as Senators Joe Lieberman of Connecticut and Claire McCaskill of Missouri. But hey, pull the lever for him anyway, he's (was) a REPUBLICAN!

Bloomberg's registering as an independent ``just probably gives him some options,'' said Stu Rothenberg, editor of the nonpartisan Rothenberg Political Report in Washington. ``Maybe he's made a decision about his future, but maybe he wants to take some time to decide,'' Rothenberg said. ``This would be a better jumping off point for an independent presidential bid than spending another year as a Republican when really nobody thinks of him as a Republican anyway  except the 'tards who vote for him.''

``We are sorry to hear of his decision,'' said Tracey Schmitt, a spokeswoman for the Republican National Committee.

New York State Senate Majority Leader Joseph Bruno, a Republican, said Bloomberg built a ``remarkable record in office and has delivered results because of his tremendous ability to work with people of all political parties and persuasions.''

These are the same tools who foisted Scuzzafazio on the 23rd District.

Contribute early and often.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:08:15 AM EDT
[#11]
What are his poll numbers ?will he be reelected?
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:32:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What are his poll numbers ?will he be reelected?

From the article: Polls show Bloomberg leading by 15 to 18 points.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:34:45 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Seriously. Time for him to buy his own island somewhere and have unlimited sex with hot women and eat bacon.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:40:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Seriously. Time for him to buy his own island somewhere and have unlimited sex with hot women and eat bacon.

He doesn't want that, he wants power over other people and his money can buy it.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 12:32:56 PM EDT
[#15]
I hope he loses.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 12:34:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Power.

Dick head
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 12:36:56 PM EDT
[#17]
I know he's a power hungry shitbag but why spend so much time, effort and money doing it this way?

Why not lurk back in the shadows, work behind the scenes, throw your money around and work the current politicians like puppets to do your bidding?

This in your face shit is no way to build an evil empire.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 12:38:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:

And have a massive coronary event.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top