Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/28/2005 8:29:00 AM EDT

OK, it is one of 85 Surefire 'Beast', but still, that's a lot of chin-ching for a damned flashlight.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SureFire-The-Beast-HID-Xenon-Flashlight-Extremely-RARE_W0QQitemZ5103359103QQcategoryZ106988QQrdZ1QQc­mdZViewItem
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:30:17 AM EDT
It's the only flashlight with more felt recoil than a .50BMG rifle.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:30:17 AM EDT
thats what I say about any flashlight thats over 60 bucks,

but I am not ubertactical like that
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:34:22 AM EDT
I guess it is worth it to someone, but not to me. I have never been much of a 'collector'. I like to use and abuse my stuff to much. I was cursed with choosing practical over valuable.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:35:02 AM EDT
OLD!

p.s. MONEY SENT!
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:35:52 AM EDT

Originally Posted By markm:
OLD!

p.s. MONEY SENT!

I'll take it.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:36:47 AM EDT
need a hot link.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:38:02 AM EDT

Originally Posted By thompsondd:

OK, it is one of 85 Surefire 'Beast', but still, that's a lot of chin-ching for a damned flashlight.

cgi.ebay.com/SureFire-The-Beast-HID-Xenon-Flashlight-Extremely-RARE_W0QQitemZ5103359103QQcategoryZ106988QQrdZ1QQc­mdZViewItem

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:39:44 AM EDT

Originally Posted By thompsondd:

cgi.ebay.com/SureFire-The-Beast-Xenon-Flashlight-Extremely-RARE_W0QQitemZ5103359103QQcategoryZ106988QQrdZ1QQc­mdZViewItem

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:40:14 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:42:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/28/2005 8:42:33 AM EDT by rob78]
Well, on second thought I'll keep my A2 Aviator.

Let MarkM have it!
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:44:35 AM EDT
What happens if the bulb burns out, can you buy a new one??
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:51:21 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:54:00 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:56:32 AM EDT
Think of how many candles that money could buy!
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:56:55 AM EDT

Originally Posted By DoubleFeed:

Designed for open-area tactical applications such as border patrol, maritime interdiction, and long-range target identification, The Beast performs under all weather conditions. And it’s brutally tough — so resistant to mechanical shock and vibration that the U.S. military has adapted a version for use on heavy machine guns.
Can any Gunners corroborate?

As a retired Space Shuttle Door Gunner, I can attest that these flashlights are unsuitable for microgravity use. Turns out they're so Goddamn massive that their gravitational field fucks up the orbit. They will, however, change the dark side of the moon to the extremely well-lit side of the moon.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:59:47 AM EDT
Thats not a flashlight its a light saber.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:04:21 AM EDT
I played with one of the first ones that John Standridge was carrying around with him. Cool, but I couldn't figure out what the fuck I'd use it for...and when I can't come up with a justification....
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:10:55 AM EDT
ok, but admit it, you would still shine it in your own eyes when you first got it.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:29:48 AM EDT
Ripoff. Did you see the 90 MINUTE bulb life?

FYI, there is only one major producer of minature HID lamps. In bulk, one can get the bulbs with ballast for about $120 each. Bulbs that last for 1000 hours and produce the same light level.

Sure Fire couldn't market a light that used bulbs faster than a Coleman lantern uses gasoline.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:38:37 AM EDT
From the interest on eBay, I might guess that it'll close over the present price ($2900) ..........

........ I say good luck to the seller!
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:42:58 AM EDT
wow! for that much, it better come with a free hooker
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:21:25 AM EDT

Originally Posted By DzlBenz:

Originally Posted By DoubleFeed:

Designed for open-area tactical applications such as border patrol, maritime interdiction, and long-range target identification, The Beast performs under all weather conditions. And it’s brutally tough — so resistant to mechanical shock and vibration that the U.S. military has adapted a version for use on heavy machine guns.
Can any Gunners corroborate?

As a retired Space Shuttle Door Gunner, I can attest that these flashlights are unsuitable for microgravity use. Turns out they're so Goddamn massive that their gravitational field fucks up the orbit. They will, however, change the dark side of the moon to the extremely well-lit side of the moon.

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:27:02 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Keith_J:

FYI, there is only one major producer of minature HID lamps. In bulk, one can get the bulbs with ballast for about $120 each. Bulbs that last for 1000 hours and produce the same light level.

Sure Fire couldn't market a light that used bulbs faster than a Coleman lantern uses gasoline.

WTF? NO retard its 90 minute runtime for the batteries.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:28:31 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Wipeout:
ok, but admit it, you would still shine it in your own eyes when you first got it.

You know that's true!
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:29:58 AM EDT

Originally Posted By xinflt:

You know that's true!

Why else by it if you aren't gonna test it
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:32:51 AM EDT
I clicked into the thread expecting read an article on how FEMA was paying that for flashlights.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:33:09 AM EDT

Originally Posted By FredM:

You know that's true!

I'm thinking more like "instant tan"
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:36:56 AM EDT
And here I thought the guys selling $300 flashlights at BulletFest VI this past year were crazy.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:46:58 AM EDT

Coc violation. Watch it.

Lamp assembly/Runtime – xenon-fill High Intensity Discharge (HID) arc lamp with 2000-lumen output and total useful runtime of 90 minutes.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:50:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/28/2005 10:50:29 AM EDT by FredM]

Coc violation. Watch it.

Lamp assembly/Runtime – xenon-fill High Intensity Discharge (HID) arc lamp with 2000-lumen output and total useful runtime of 90 minutes.

And your point? The lamp lasts for a LONG time. The batteries last for 90 minutes.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:52:37 AM EDT

Coc violation. Watch it.

And your point? The lamp lasts for a LONG time. The batteries last for 90 minutes.

My surefire scorpion batteries do good to go an hour. It's the nature of the beast. No pun intended. If YOU can make a battery that lasts longer go do it. You'll make a mint.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:56:01 AM EDT

You know that's true!

I'm thinking more like "instant tan"

Metal halide HID lights are not "instant on", they take a few seconds to "warm up". At first, the capsule glows a faint blue as the ignitor excites the gas. Once the gas is up to temperature, the light increases. It takes about 1/2 second per Watt of rated consumed power. Modern auto lighting is much faster to warm up but the electronics are different and the arc lengths much greater. These smaller lights in the 10-35 Watt range are slower because the lifespan of the HID is compormised by faster warm-up. The electrodes are too rapidly consumed with excessive warm-up current.

All small HIDS are hand made from fused quartz, one of the hardest materials for the industrial glass blower to work. No, you cannot make them by machine, as of yet. This is why the bulbs cost over $100 when purchased in small lots.

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:58:39 AM EDT

Coc violation. Watch it.

I guess it is poor compositional skills of the advertiser. Regardless, small HID lamps have poor lifespan and even worse durability. I know, I have burned out a few and broken as many. I got to know customer service at Welch Allyn pretty good. Leadtime for a 21 Watt runs about 8 weeks!
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 11:00:15 AM EDT
Yeesh, no "Flashlight wars" with that one!
Top Top