Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2012 6:03:41 PM EDT
If you had $250,000.00 to start or buy a business, what would you do?
Link Posted: 10/16/2012 6:07:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I would buy a SNAP-ON truck...

Link Posted: 10/16/2012 6:25:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd start up a green energy solar company and then get a $500 million government grant then go public so I could wash my hands of the company all while making out like a bandit.

Whoops, this isn't GD...

Link Posted: 10/17/2012 7:12:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Depends on your goals for the business and how much time you have to commit to it. Is this supposed to be a full time job?

Me, personally, I would find a quality franchise that allows absentee ownership. Put the $250k down and finance the rest. Find a good manager that I can trust, open the franchise and sit back while I work at my current job. I don't need/want to open a business that requires another 40+ hours a week to run.
Link Posted: 10/17/2012 6:04:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Dude, methinks we're in a depression.  The recovery figures have been cooked for years.  Not a good time to start a business.

Keep your liquidity because after things crash, you can buy stuff up cheap.  That's what happened in Russia after the Soviet Union went under.  People were given shares of state owned property.  They sold their shares cheap to buy food.  The guys who bought their shares became billionaires.  Same thing happened in Latin American countries that entered hyper-inflation.  Houses here in the US were cheap during the Depression (1930s).

The trick is to get it out of USD since it's going to hyper-inflate.  I'll leave that for you to figure out how to preserve the 1/4 mil.
Link Posted: 10/17/2012 6:27:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I wouldn't start a business. I would buy a couple of investment properties that generated some income and keep probably $50,000 of it to use as a slush fund to keep those properties going. I would also use my property manager to deal with the properties because he's totally worth it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2012 7:16:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Personally, I would put the $250k down as collateral to get a business loan for a larger amount. I would try to get $750k.

With or without the larger amount, I would apply for the FFLs I need, open a decent small sized shop up with the right amount of machinery for myself and maybe another to run and go from there.
Link Posted: 10/21/2012 1:54:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Rent houses.

$125,000 to make the down payments on five foreclosed houses.

$60,000 for repairs and renovations as required.

$65,000 reserve for unexpected large repairs.

Buy and fix them up one at a time.  Do the work yourself on the weekends and after work in the evening.

Where I live, having five rent houses in that price range, even with 80% LTV mortgages, will be making you over $2,000/month of profit.  Use that profit to either pay down the mortgage on the home you currently live in, pay down the mortgage on one of your rent houses, invest in dividend stocks, or combine with your $65,000 reserve to start on your sixth house.

Link Posted: 10/23/2012 9:45:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Dude, methinks we're in a depression.  The recovery figures have been cooked for years.  Not a good time to start a business.

Keep your liquidity because after things crash, you can buy stuff up cheap.  That's what happened in Russia after the Soviet Union went under.  People were given shares of state owned property.  They sold their shares cheap to buy food.  The guys who bought their shares became billionaires.  Same thing happened in Latin American countries that entered hyper-inflation.  Houses here in the US were cheap during the Depression (1930s).

The trick is to get it out of USD since it's going to hyper-inflate.  I'll leave that for you to figure out how to preserve the 1/4 mil.

It's funny to me, when people advise about how cheap things will be (using the deflationary great depression as an example) and then talk about devaluation of the US dollar and hyper-inflation, in the same story.
Link Posted: 10/28/2012 7:47:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Frozen yogurt shop
Link Posted: 10/28/2012 7:49:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I need $300,000 to start my business. What ya got for me, OP?
Link Posted: 10/28/2012 7:52:58 PM EDT
[#11]

Move it offshore, legally.

Link Posted: 10/28/2012 7:55:44 PM EDT
[#12]
I would invest it with my uncle in opening another Optical in Southeast Florida
Link Posted: 10/28/2012 7:56:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Boat/RV/trailer storage facility.   Nice big storage units (of various sizes), with power in all units.  Free air and water inside the locked facility.  24/hr access.  Alarms on all units.  Do it!
Link Posted: 10/28/2012 7:57:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Save the money, and not buy a business.

Link Posted: 10/28/2012 8:00:56 PM EDT
[#15]
for $ 200k you could buy 2 paper shredder trucks and  service a bunch of small or larger co,s  most including me have storerooms of shit that need to be properly disposed of and i bet you could sell for a small profit the pulp/waste .i offered this to my son who said it was a bad idea . the only way to get ahead  now,is to be your own boss ,and take all that the irs has to offer re deductions and other write offs. ask me how i know! eta ,after 5 years and a positive balance sheet sell business,clients ,equipment and retire ,this 5 years before business TRIES to go paperless . our insurance co's goal was to be PAPERLESS by 1979 not even 25% there today 34 years later
Link Posted: 10/28/2012 8:02:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Buy a McDonalds.
Link Posted: 10/28/2012 8:04:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Umbrella, towel and chair rental shop on a beach on St. Thomas AVI.
Link Posted: 11/4/2012 6:03:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Buy a franchise.. Probably a chick-fil-a.. Yes I would need more than 250k. but that would be a good down pmt.
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 3:26:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Pay off any and all debt –– invest in Asia.
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 4:42:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Depends what your strengths are in?

Me, I'd buy a small commercial strip center in the $500K-$750K range.  That would net you around $50K+ given decent CAP rates.
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 6:12:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Buy a franchise.. Probably a chick-fil-a.. Yes I would need more than 250k. but that would be a good down pmt.

A Chick-Fil-A is pretty much impossible to buy. They only open about 50-60 restaurants a year, and they receive something like 10k+ applications for franchises. They also have very strict guidelines on who they allow to start a franchise. Generally, they only allow current employees and managers to buy in, and they require you to work full time as an owner/manager at your restaurant. They don't allow absentee ownership.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 2:51:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Batteries Plus.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 11:08:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Buy land in a South American country. Buy a barge. Then offer to pickup dead batteries at auto stores, dump the batteries onto the land.....profit.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 4:23:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

They are all corporate owned.

Grove
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 6:55:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's funny to me, when people advise about how cheap things will be (using the deflationary great depression as an example) and then talk about devaluation of the US dollar and hyper-inflation, in the same story.

What's the cash value of something when no one has cash or when the currency is no longer accepted?  Try Ferguson's book that discusses the hyperinflation in Weimar Germany, When Money Dies.  
Link Posted: 12/13/2012 1:15:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Boat/RV/trailer storage facility.   Nice big storage units (of various sizes), with power in all units.  Free air and water inside the locked facility.  24/hr access.  Alarms on all units.  Do it!

I've been checking into rental storage units, holy shit the possibilities are nice. They're not quite a license to print money, but they're close.
Link Posted: 12/13/2012 1:19:42 PM EDT
[#27]
I'd love to open up a LE uniform supply store.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top