Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2001 5:05:51 AM EDT
Just wondering if those .22 conversion kits are any good. I want a .22 for those rainy days shooting at the indoor range, and for cheap-O plinking. I know Ciener makes a kit and USAF conversion kits are available in the parts section for $120 + $7 S&H. Are they totally reliable or should I just go out a get a a .22 rifle.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 5:13:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, a Rem 597 runs $140+tax at Wally World, magazines are $8 each, 10 shots, no hicaps.
Ciener kits are like $140 with a 10 round(for new, used can be had for $100 with a 10 round), 10 round mags are $30, and 30 round mags are $60, IIRC. So, do you want an independant gun with cheap mags (and expensive hi-caps if you get a Ruger), or expensive mags with practice on your -15?
I have both a Colt .22 kit and a Rem 597, and I enjoy shooting the Rem 597 more, mainly due to the magazines being easier to load and the gun having a bolt hold open.  Colt .22 kit mags have a sharp vertical piece that sticks out of the left feed lip and it is murder on my thumbs when loading it, so beware.

Kharn
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 5:39:10 AM EDT
[#2]
If you get a .22 kit for your AR15, make sure you have one upper reciever with a slow twist (1:12 or 1:14) that you only use for .22s.  Shooting .22s can lead a barrel, especially fast twist barrels (1:9 or 1:7).  

Having said that, BUY a .22 rifle for $150 and save your AR15 some dignity and unnecessary wear.  That's my two cents.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 6:49:50 AM EDT
[#3]
I think buying a second rifle is the better choice.  For a little over $50 you can buy a Romanian training rifle or for a little over a hundred you can get a Marlin Model 60, if a repeater is what you want.  With that said, I still want a 22 bolt for my AR-15, because it would be nice to have the coolest looking 22 on the range.

BTW, how does the trajectory of a 22LR round fired from a Ciener compare to a 223 round?  Would practising with the 22LR create some bad habits if you ever had to use the 223?
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 7:01:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Again, I think a .22 kit could potentially cause problems with an AR15 barrel (especially fast twist barrels), but from what I understand it is possible to zero a rifle with .22 rounds at 25m and have that same zero work with .223.  

In addition, shooting anything in .22 is a great way to work on marksmanship fundamentals, especially for beginner shooters who are not used to recoil.  

Buy a nice .22 rifle, forget the conversion.  That's my opinion, anyway!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top