Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/19/2005 7:04:29 AM EDT
Ok, I turn 21 next month and want to buy a .22 pistol to celebrate. I have a Beretta 92FS and a Walther P99 already that I carry.

I am looking at either a Walther P22 or a Sig Mosquito. I am leaning towards the P22 since it cheaper here (~$100 less) and mags are cheaper, but I thought I would get yalls opinion.

P.S., please dont recomend ruger MkIIs or wheelguns. My dad has a 22/45. I am interested in the thoughts on a P22 or a Mosquito.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:07:25 AM EDT
I haven't heard a single damn thing about either one that's good. I like Sig's but apparently they humped the bunk on the Mosquito, I have yet to hear of one that feeds well.

Igave up on Walthers when my co-workers G22 literally disassembled itself at the range. Ironically, that was also the first day I saw a P22 at the range. Best looking single-shot I ever saw.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:19:34 AM EDT
Browning buckmark.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:24:27 AM EDT
I've had a P22 for a little over a year now and I love it. It's lightweight, accurate, and fun to shoot. If I had to do it again, I would have bought the kit with both the 3.42" and 5" barrels; right now all I have is the shorter barrel, and while it works great for my two younger boys, it's a little short for my liking. It's cheaper to buy the barrel as part of the kit than to try to buy it aftermarket.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:24:59 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Cape_hunter:
Browning buckmark.

Look no further.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:38:54 AM EDT
notso, I haven't had any problems out of my P22 but I would think it might be too small for your hands - have you held/shot one? I understand the Mosquito is "scaled-down" as well, but I haven't held one yet...

Have you looked at the Buckmark (as mentioned above), the Beretta NEOS, or the last-generation S&W .22s? ("Full-size" pistols, all - but each different in their own way from the Rugers.)

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:40:08 AM EDT

Browning buckmark.

+1, I just got rid of a P22 for a Buckmark. P22 is a good candidate for a can but that's about it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:44:19 AM EDT
The P22 is awful small, too small for my medium hands. The Mosquito is too new, which tends to have issues. I have a Browning Buckmark which I love. Its such a smooth shooter. I also have a Browning Medalist target pistol. I want to get a Ruger sometime, I hear nothing but good things about them.

Stick with a Browning or Ruger.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:52:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/19/2005 7:55:09 AM EDT by Cape_hunter]

Originally Posted By DzlBenz:

Browning buckmark.

Look no further.

Cant resist the hijack....
My Buckmark Bullseye model. Havent fired another 22 pistol in the two years of owning this. I have sold 5 in the shop and everyone of the folks that ordered them, has been 100% happy.
The p22 is a good can gun for killing cats and dogs but far from a target pistol.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:14:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/19/2005 8:16:23 AM EDT by enigma1]
I went w/ a S&W M17 (K22) , you can pick them up pretty reasonable on gunbroker.com
It ooooozzzzzes class, style & distinction from an era of superior performance. And it never came w/ a cheezy ass gold plated trigger.

ETA No insult intened to buckmark owners or HP owners, but who ever decided to put put gold triggers on those pistols has their head in their 4th. point of contact IMO.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:14:57 AM EDT

Browning buckmark.

+1
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:18:26 AM EDT

Originally Posted By enigma1:
... ETA No insult intened to buckmark owners or HP owners, but who ever decided to put put gold triggers on those pistols has their head in their 4th. point of contact IMO.

It's a Browning thing... you wouldn't understand.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:26:12 AM EDT
have both ruger & browning. wish they could shoot the cheap stuff!
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:28:04 AM EDT
I would rather take a Beretta or Glock lower and put an Advantage Arms .22lr upper on it. They're more comfortable.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:29:25 AM EDT
I own a P22 and love it! Small, comfortable and fun to shoot. Just remember it's a recreational gun, not necessarily for serious target shooting or self-defense.

I own at least (6) other .22 pistols so I have a lot to compare it to.

NOTE: When I took it shooting the first time it jammed every other shot for about 100 rounds. I cleaned and oiled it up right there @ the range.- Shot the remaining 400 rounds without incident and has functioned flawlessly ever since. ( 3,000 rounds and counting )

The best deal is the Combo Model w/ two barrels.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:32:29 AM EDT

I like my Beretta Bobcat. Feeds most anything and fairly accurate. Plus its very small.

Shok
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:44:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/19/2005 9:03:53 AM EDT by Cape_hunter]

Originally Posted By Silver_Surfer:

Never heard of a buckmark that wouldnt eat cheap ammo. I can run walmart special right beside wolf match or Eley and it runs without hicup.

On the note, just about ever Ruger I have ever owned would eat cheap ammo.

I have to call BS or your guns need a good cleaning
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:54:49 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Silver_Surfer:

Never heard of a buckmark that wouldnt eat cheap ammo. I can run walmart special right beside wolf match or Eley and it runs without hicup.

On the note, just about ever Ruger I have ever owned would eat sheap ammo.

I have to call BS or your guns need a good cleaning

+1 on all counts.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:57:30 AM EDT
I love my Buckmark
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:59:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/19/2005 9:00:55 AM EDT by wildearp]
Thoughts on a P22 or Mosquito: they have some quality issues.

Why not a 22/45? They work, mine hasn't missed a beat. I have been running cheap Federal and Remington wally-world bulk packs through mine.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:06:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/19/2005 9:07:09 AM EDT by Admiral_Crunch]
I've never seen the Mosquito, and I've only ever seen one P-22, and it was a jam-o-matic. But that hardly qualifies me as being knowledgeable about them. You can find a dud anything.

I can say that my Browning Buckmark and my Ruger Single Six have never failed me.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:10:01 AM EDT
Ruger mkII was my birthday pistol........19 years ago and it's still going strong + it eats whatever I feed it. I even still have the box.

Ruger
High Standard
Browning
are my top 3 picks

Of course buying a Ruger first could mean I'm biased.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:14:07 AM EDT
I'd say the P22 and the Mosquito are in the same league:

They're both cheaply made pistols in the combat design category, with lots of MIM'd parts and lame zinc slides.

The P22 had some issues early on, but the last several years has seen Walther work most of these growing pains out. Neither pistol can be expected to be a tack driver, and neither are heirloom quality. They're 15000 round guns, basically, so don't plan on passing them down to your kin.

I have a P22 and with some slight tweaks (see the thread in the PISTOLS:WALTHER forum) its been super reliable.

The P22 is more versatile in terms of adding a suppressor if your state so allows.

The Sig looks like it will have a better possibility for aftermarket high-cap magaines. The P22 could theoretically hold 14 based on spring compression ratios and the size of the mag tube, but the Walther folks literally DESIGNED the possiblity of higher capacity out of the gun, with the way the follower and slide stop interactions are designed.

The Mosquito is new, and being new, it will have issues, just like the P22 did. If you're leaning in that direction, I'd wait until at least the first revision. I'm hearing of some issues with feeding that may be related to the ramp geometry, etc., so best to wait.

Finally, an observation: BOTH the P22 and Mosquito are OVERPRICED for what they are. That is, the Walther charges you at least $50 more than what the gun is worth, just for the name, and the Mosquito seems to be more than that for the privilege of the Sig name.

If you're going to pay that kind of money for "blue sky" on a gun, you really may be better off with a Buckmark or a Ruger MKII or MKIII which are the best guns out there in the. 22 semi-auto realm, bar none.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:41:38 AM EDT

Originally Posted By GonzoAR15-1:
I'd say the P22 and the Mosquito are in the same league:

They're both cheaply made pistols in the combat design category, with lots of MIM'd parts and lame zinc slides.

The P22 had some issues early on, but the last several years has seen Walther work most of these growing pains out. Neither pistol can be expected to be a tack driver, and neither are heirloom quality. They're 15000 round guns, basically, so don't plan on passing them down to your kin.

I have a P22 and with some slight tweaks (see the thread in the PISTOLS:WALTHER forum) its been super reliable.

The P22 is more versatile in terms of adding a suppressor if your state so allows.

The Sig looks like it will have a better possibility for aftermarket high-cap magaines. The P22 could theoretically hold 14 based on spring compression ratios and the size of the mag tube, but the Walther folks literally DESIGNED the possiblity of higher capacity out of the gun, with the way the follower and slide stop interactions are designed.

The Mosquito is new, and being new, it will have issues, just like the P22 did. If you're leaning in that direction, I'd wait until at least the first revision. I'm hearing of some issues with feeding that may be related to the ramp geometry, etc., so best to wait.

Finally, an observation: BOTH the P22 and Mosquito are OVERPRICED for what they are. That is, the Walther charges you at least $50 more than what the gun is worth, just for the name, and the Mosquito seems to be more than that for the privilege of the Sig name.

If you're going to pay that kind of money for "blue sky" on a gun, you really may be better off with a Buckmark or a Ruger MKII or MKIII which are the best guns out there in the. 22 semi-auto realm, bar none.

Hmm. Thanks for that.

Maybe Ill just get a .22 kit for my 92 and buy a Sig 226 for my birthday.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:45:39 AM EDT

Originally Posted By DzlBenz:

Browning buckmark.

Look no further.

+1
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:28:40 AM EDT

Originally Posted By vanilla_gorilla:
I haven't heard a single damn thing about either one that's good.

+1

If you don't "want to hear about" other .22s, then by all means go waste your money on these two, IMO.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:35:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/19/2005 10:40:09 AM EDT by The_Beer_Slayer]
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:36:37 AM EDT
Do yourself a favor skip the apparent flash of the P22 or Mosquito… If you want a tried and true .22 pistol at a good price get a Single-Six.

I dare anyone to find ammo a Single-Six will not digest.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:36:59 AM EDT
Anyone have any experience with the Sig Trailside?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:39:10 AM EDT

Originally Posted By notso:
Ok, I turn 21 next month and want to buy a .22 pistol to celebrate. I have a Beretta 92FS and a Walther P99 already that I carry.

I am looking at either a Walther P22 or a Sig Mosquito. I am leaning towards the P22 since it cheaper here (~$100 less) and mags are cheaper, but I thought I would get yalls opinion.

P.S., please dont recomend ruger MkIIs or wheelguns. My dad has a 22/45. I am interested in the thoughts on a P22 or a Mosquito.

Don't know much about the Mosquito except that it seems overpriced.

Don't like the P22 because it is too small, has a fairly nasty trigger, and it doesn't seem to be terribly reliable.

Personally I would suggest the Ruger MKII. May not be what you want to hear, but I have yet to encounter a bad one.

Also look a the Sig Trailside.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:40:07 AM EDT
My P22 was the worst piece of crap I ever spent $$$ on. It went back to the factory more than once and the ammo would still key-hole. Worthless POS!
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:45:32 AM EDT
My P22 is still kicking at 7K down the tubes. Picky on ammo as it likes the hi speed stuff. It does eat bulk packs from walmart but expect a few FTE. Other then that, it's not that expensive and it's a fun little gun. Would I used it for outside of target, hell no. That's what my XD is for. If i'm in a situation that requires my AR's then the SHTF has come calling so it doesn't matter.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:47:50 AM EDT
buy a real gun, the ruger MK2
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:49:22 AM EDT
My P22 only has about 800 rounds through it, but looks like it has several thousands of rounds of wear on the slide.

The magazine release is in a bad place. I frequently dump the magazine with my trigger finger when I pull the trigger.

I've already broken a front sight.

The rear sight sticks out the side of the slide so much, that it looks very fragile.

For what you pay for the thing, you ought to get more than pot metal slides and plastic frames.
Top Top