Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2007 5:39:10 PM EDT
Can anyone tell me if tracer ammo is harmful to you rife, and if so, what are the negative effects of firing tracer ammo? have
Thanx!
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 5:43:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Oh no....
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 5:46:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I can't think of any way 100 rounds of tracers would harm a Mini-14.  Sure won't hurt the accuracy.
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 5:47:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 5:47:41 PM EDT
[#4]
"Oh no"???

Has this topic been discussed previously?  I'm rather new here and didn't see it posted anywhere in the forum. hinking.gif
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 5:50:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Heh ignore the oh no'ers. Yeah its a common question answer is no it won't hurt your rifle.
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 5:51:25 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
"Oh no"???

Has this topic been discussed previously?  I'm rather new here and didn't see it posted anywhere in the forum.

It's just that minis get hammered pretty hard around here.

Welcome to the fold.

If you don't have an AR yet, you might not understand the mini thing yet. Nobody's perfect!
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 5:52:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 5:57:46 PM EDT
[#8]
No it may not have been specifically mentioned (Mini-14 + tracer)  but your topic has a few things going for it that some here will jump on.  Listed below

1.  Its your first post, therefore some here will welcome you with open arms (and brains) and others will jump all over you assuming you are asking stupid questions that have been answered a thousand times before.

2.  You mentioned the Mini-14 some here like it some don't and are very vocal about it.

3.  You mentioned tracer ammunition.   While not specific to your rifle the topic of how they shoot or if they cause damage is a fairly regular topic.  

My suggestion if you are so inclined is purchase a team membership and search the archives. The search feature for a non member is somewhat limited. Other than that shoot your ammunition without worry and clean your rifle normally (read good) afterwards.

Other than that welcome to the site and if you shoot regularly look in the home town forums for people to shoot with in your area.

Oh and depending on the source of your tracer ammunition and its age don't expect all of it to light up.
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 5:57:58 PM EDT
[#9]
It won't hurt anything, but it is dirty, it will leave "tracer goop" in the barrel, and over time can effect accuracy, and it's a pain to clean, but you can do it.  If you do use them do the same thing the millitary does load 1 tracer every fifth round so you have 4 regular rounds, a tracer, 4 more regular rounds, them another tracer, and so on, this does 2 things:

1: It conserves tracers (and reduces the "line" back to you.).

2: It reduces the amount of "tracer goop", and the 4 regular rounds between them should get rid of most if not all the goop there is.
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 5:58:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Thank you for your replies.  I always clean my firearms when I go to the shooting range,... even if I don't happen to shoot them that day!  

I bought this stuff at a gun show recently and the seller stated that it wouldn't harm my rifle.  But as I listened to him talk to other buyers of his ammunition, he seemed to want to say anything to make the sale, so I became skeptical.  A few of my shooting buddies said that it should be o.k. if I don't shoot alot of it, but I wanted to make sure they (and the seller her
Thank you again for your replies!
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 6:08:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Mini-14s would be OK if humanity is every faced with a zombie like uprising of junked cars & abandoned appliances  
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 6:22:00 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Thank you for your replies.  I always clean my firearms when I go to the shooting range,... even if I don't happen to shoot them that day!  

I bought this stuff at a gun show recently and the seller stated that it wouldn't harm my rifle.  But as I listened to him talk to other buyers of his ammunition, he seemed to want to say anything to make the sale, so I became skeptical.  A few of my shooting buddies said that it should be o.k. if I don't shoot alot of it, but I wanted to make sure they (and the seller ) were correct.

And yes, I'm well aware of it's accuracy compared to other .223 caliber firearms, as well as, it's ability to fire almost any .223/5.56x49mm ammo.

Thank you again for your replies!

In addition to whatever other accuracy problems it might have, the 1/9 twist in a mini might not stabilize a tracer round.  But you should be able to figure out fairly quickly whether the rounds are stabilizing if you see the tracers veering off in unusual directions or keyholing the target.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 6:30:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Another potential problem may be inadvertent fire starting.

Be VERY CAREFUL where you shoot, and bring an extinguisher.
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 6:33:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Hmmm,... I see what you mean about mentioning "Mini-14"in this forum!  lol  

I bought my Mini-14s because they were affordable (for me), and if I could afford to pay the "big bucks" for a Bu$hma$ter rifle I might have bought 3 minis! hat
I guess that's enough Mini-14 talk for tonight.
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 6:41:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Depends on the type of tracer.  M855 tracers will be interesting from a 1:9 twist Mini 14 .

M196 tracers will stabilize in the 1:9" twist as they were designed for 1:12".

But here is the real kicker.  M196 starts in the barrel and can leave corrosive deposits in the bore/gas system.  And the gas system, despite what people think, will get fouled.

M855 tracers will not stabilize well in a Mini unless at high altitude, high temperatres.  This will make richottes MUCH more dangerous with respect to impact area and fire.  But they are a lot cleaner, using a delayed ignition method where a thin copper cup isolates the ignitor comp from the barrel.  The ignitor comp will not burn at high pressures.  Once the bullet leaves the muzzle, the loss of pressure expels the thin copper cup, allowing ignition.  This is how the delayed trace works and partially offsets one of Murphy's Laws of Combat.  That being "Tracers work, in both directions."
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 6:43:25 PM EDT
[#16]
height=8
Quoted:
Another potential problem may be inadvertent fire starting.

Be VERY CAREFUL where you shoot, and bring an extinguisher.

Thank you,.. I am well aware of the fire starting capabilities of tracer ammo, and our shooting range is designed with this in mind (i.e. brush-free zones).  The outdoor rifle range has thick earthen mounds for adequate backstops, and the brush is cleared every spring and fall to minimize any fire danger. hock.gif  I also have a fire extinguisher in my Jeep (can I say "Jeep" here?) just in case!
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 6:46:40 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
fire extinguisher in my Jeep (can I say "Jeep" here?) just in case!

<<<-----------
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 6:52:59 PM EDT
[#18]
height=8
Quoted:
Depends on the type of tracer.  M855 tracers will be interesting from a 1:9 twist Mini 14 he

But here is the real kicker.  M196 starts in the barrel and can leave corrosive deposits in the bore/gas system.  And the gas system, despite what people think, will get fouled.

M855 tracers will not stabilize well in a Mini unless at high altitude, high temperatres.  This will make richottes MUCH more dangerous with respect to impact area and fire.  But they are a lot cleaner, using a delayed ignition method where a thin copper cup isolates the ignitor comp from the barrel.  The ignitor comp will not burn at high pressures.  Once the bullet leaves the muzzle, the loss of pressure expels the thin copper cup, allowing ignition.  This is how the delayed trace works and partially offsets one of Murphy's Laws of Combat.  That being "Tracers work, in both directions."

The boxes are brown and marked "Talon Manufacturing Co. Inc. 5.56 Tracer 20 round".  I believe they are M855 tracers.  I also have a few white boxes that say M196.  Looks like I may have both types! hinking.gif
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 6:56:45 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Hmmm,... I see what you mean about mentioning "Mini-14"in this forum!  lol  

I bought my Mini-14s because they were affordable (for me), and if I could afford to pay the "big bucks" for a Bu$hma$ter rifle I might have bought 3 minis!  What can I say?  I like my Mini-14s, they shoot well enough for me, and I always "get it on the paper" so to speak.  However, if I were into competition shooting then I would buy a Colt, Bu$hma$ter or similar rifle for its intended accuracy.

I guess that's enough Mini-14 talk for tonight.

I don't hate Minis - they're good clean fun.  But the reason the .mil went with a 1/7 twist was to stabilize the M856 tracer so if you're trying to shoot those out of a 1/9 barrel (whether it's a Mini-14, an AR-15 variant or whatever) the bullets might not stabilize.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 7:04:29 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Depends on the type of tracer.  M855 tracers will be interesting from a 1:9 twist Mini 14 .

M196 tracers will stabilize in the 1:9" twist as they were designed for 1:12".

The boxes are brown and marked "Talon Manufacturing Co. Inc. 5.56 Tracer 20 round".  I believe they are M855 tracers.  I also have a few white boxes that say M196.  Looks like I may have both types!

Red or orange paint?  M196 are red
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 7:05:15 PM EDT
[#21]
height=8
Quoted:

I don't hate Minis - they're good clean fun.  But the reason the .mil went with a 1/7 twist was to stabilize the M856 tracer so if you're trying to shoot those out of a 1/9 barrel (whether it's a Mini-14, an AR-15 variant or whatever) the bullets might not stabilize.  

Thank you, Danno, and all of you who responded to my questions.  I was hoping that the tracer ammo would help me see how well I was shooting (overall) without having to check the targets with my spotting scope after every shot or two.  I guess it wasn't worth the money or trouble. h
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 7:12:07 PM EDT
[#22]
height=8
Quoted:
Quoted:

All the tips appear to be red, but on some of them the red is flaking off or is worn.
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 7:15:12 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

All the tips appear to be red, but on some of them the red is flaking off or is worn.

M196!  You are GTG, just clean after use.  They will not DAMAGE the barrel, only DIRTY it.

Clean the gas system too.  It will corrode.
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 7:19:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Hey if you don't want them anymore I'll take 'em!  

Also, where are you getting a Mini-14 for $300?  I want one of them too!  (you said 3 Mini's or one Bushy)
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 7:19:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Thank you one and all for your technical assistance, advice, comments, and good-natured kidding.  I appreciate all of your responses.  However, the storm here in Maine is getting worse and the lights have flickeres a few times, so we might be losing power sometime soon.

I'll be back again with more questions some other day, but until then,.. thank-you and good night!
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 7:27:35 PM EDT
[#26]
height=8
Quoted:
Hey if you don't want them anymore I'll take 'em!  here

To answer this last question, I'll keep the tracers and try them out next time I go to the shooting range.  Regarding the cost of my 2 minis, we get some good deals at area gun shows in Maine.  My first Mini-14 (Ranch rifle) cost me $350 and it was in great shape (mfg. '85).  My second Mini-14 is the standard Mini-14 (mfg. '78) and it cost me $325.  It was a bit dirty and the stock had a few well-worn scratches, but after both were cleaned well and oiled they looked and worked great!  Bu$hma$ter rifles go for $1,200 to $1,500 + at the shows, depending on type and if you can find one, and now they cost even more since Dick Dyke sold the assembly business in Windham, Maine to another party.

Gotta go now.  Thanks again!
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 7:31:41 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Thank you one and all for your technical assistance, advice, comments, and good-natured kidding.  I appreciate all of your responses.  However, the storm here in Maine is getting worse and the lights have flickeres a few times, so we might be losing power sometime soon.

I'll be back again with more questions some other day, but until then,.. thank-you and good night!

Hey, it is storming?  Shoot them now!  No fire issues
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 7:34:43 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Bu$hma$ter rifles go for $1,200 to $1,500 + at the shows, depending on type and if you can find one, and now they cost even more since Dick Dyke sold the assembly business in Windham, Maine to another party.

The gun show is the problem.  A store should sell them for $800-1,000.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top