Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/8/2001 4:23:39 PM EDT
 What do you use?  In the ammo forum the only questions seem to be M193 vs M855 and Win vs IMI vs LC
 FBI says Federal Tactical 62 gr SP is the best, IIRC.
 Are there any HPs worthy of your trust?
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 4:35:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 5:23:22 PM EDT
[#2]
60 grain Hornady Tap and 62 grain FMJ for SWAT.
The FMJ just in case more penetration is needed (and because we don't want to lock just one round into policy)You know.......
Just the TAP for the patrol rifles.

The FMJ is used also as the practice round for all rifles. The trajectory is a close match to the TAP and it functions in the A2's and M-4's very well.
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 6:09:46 PM EDT
[#3]
What ammo to use in our rifles has been one of my departments biggest questions.  We have tried numerous different loads and we still like the Winchester white box USGI 55 grain ball ammo the best.  We have a large number of Colt M-16A1's (500+) and we have found that the Winchester white box will do everything we want at a very economical price.  For a while we tried the Federal tactical law enforcement 62 grain bonded ammunition with the nickel case, but it just would not feed reliably in our rifles.

Newer is not always better, and for the money a Colt M-16A1, we got them for free, we just had to pay the shipping, with Winchester white box Q3131 M193 ball ammo, was just the ticket.  It will stop just about anything we might encounter and was priced right.

Just my .02

Brad
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 6:15:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Patrol, entry, and perimeter use 60 gr SP from Blackhills. Snipers have their choice of blackhills moly, or Remington 62?, or 69.
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 6:42:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 8:14:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Remington 62 grain match HP. We have some problems with it because the bullets are not crimped, and the occasional round gets the bullet whacked loose during feeding.

We also keep some 55 grain ball available.

We are looking at Hornady TAP or Federal bonded, but our purchasing department does not like to buy ammo that isn't on the state contract, so we are gong to do some ballistic testing to justify the switch.

We use various varieties of Winchester Ranger in our pistols and pistol caliber weapons. Oh, and they give us much ammo as we can shoot, and only want us to shoot duty ammo, ever. My two duty pistols have never had a cheap round or a reload fired through them, unless they did that at the factory.
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 9:08:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 9:54:50 AM EDT
[#8]
I buy American Eagle when purchasing plinking and practicing ammo. It is american made and quite affordable.

The department issues you 40 rounds per year of the Remington or Winchester tan box(I can't recall which), I believe it is a 62 or 69 grain hollow point made for law enforcement. These are to fill 2 20 round clips for duty use.  
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 12:02:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 1:05:55 AM EDT
[#10]
60 grain Black Hills SP issued to SRT. Deputies using authorised private purchase AR types or Mini 14's also required to use same load.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top